1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension, oil, and armor questions.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Garrettg36, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Jan 30, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    Garrettg36

Garrettg36 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello I am a new Tacoma owner and new to forums, picked this forum because there seems to be quite a few knowledgable people here and I'm hoping to get some of my questions answered. I recently bought a 2004 PreRunner V6 extracab. I've done a lot of reading on here and have learned alot but have tried searching and not sure if its just me but am having trouble finding some answers.

First thing is I think I would like to do a 3'' front lift by going with the longer coils for lift, What other brands are there besides Old Man Emu? just looking for some options and differences in prices. If i go 3'' will my stock shocks still be alright? or if not what kind would be recommended and what length?

Second for the Rear lift I'm just looking for about an inch of lift and don't want to go with a whole new leaf( too expensive) or the add a leaf route because I have heard some Negative things about this such as stiffens ride and more prone to Breaking. so I was looking at doing a longer shackle because i have heard this would give me a little more flex or artculation is this correct? any recommendations or ideas contributing to this? And once again would stock rear shocks still be alright?

Next thing is I'm located in Arizona (Tempe) Where it gets hot and there is a lot of dust and dirt in just everyday driving. And I read the recommended oil is 5w 30 but does this still hold true for these conditions?

Fourth I'm looking for new tires and would like to find some 32'' not sure on best width but I have 16'' wheels any recommended tires a little more on the affordable side?

Fifth the Deckplate modification is preffered over a cold air intake right? Like I woudn't see anything significantly improved for the price of a Cold air?

And last thing is I would like to put on, and you'll have to forgive me I am not sure on the correct term but the steel tubing that comes out from frame and up over the bumper ( I would like to keep stock bumper on) and I am struggling to find one for sale or I was considering fabricating my own any advice at all I can get on this?

Thanks for taking time to read all this I know its a lot I am just real excited about my Tacoma! :)

2. Jan 30, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    from what i have heard, it is much more effective then buying a CAI and it doesnt cost anything...almost

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:35 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    1st

use new shocks up front with longer coils...check out the adj. bilstein 5100s for the front...fairly inexpensive...check with Downsouth Motor Sports...ask for Sonny

2nd
    AALs arent prone to breaking and the stiffness depends on which AAL you get

The 3 leaf progressive AAL didnt cause any extra stiffness that i could feel...if you get a very short AAL you may experience the stiffness

3rd
    i have no idea about oil weight...try asking Chris4x4

4th
    Tire brand...youre going to get a bunch of BFG fanboys...and then a million other suggestions...my suggestion to you is look for a tire in the 265/75/16 size and then find a tire in your price range...many times if you find a deal online a local shop will match it

5th
    Deckplate > CAI all day long

6th
    i think youre talking about a bullbar...which as far as protection goes is essentially useless...but theyre useful in holding lights...and ruining front clearance

4. Jan 31, 2010 at 3:04 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    The owners manual for my 2001 recommends 5W30 as the preferred weight.
    That's where I'd stay.

5. Jan 31, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB prerunner 4x4 manual
    as for the aals the longer they are the smoother your ride will be. also look at rear springs if they look flat no arch they may have been overloaded and your truck may sit higher in front. mine has ome springs in front and pro comp aals out back but it sits 2 in higher in front so im saving money for ome dakar leafs now.
    and for tires have heard good things about General grabber at2

6. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    Garrettg36

Garrettg36 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey Thanks to all you guys you've been very helpful, and i checked out down south motorsports and I saw the King coil springs for giving 3'' of lift which is what I was looking for and the 3'' comes in several different lengths it appears such as 8'',10'',12'' etc. whats this mean and what do I need? Also when selecting a spring it asks for spring rate and will say length x 100-550 lb rate. again whats this mean and which one do I need?
    Then I checked out the Bilstien 5100 front shocks and it said they could give up to 2.5'' of lift so would they still work with 3'' coil springs? kinda confused on all these numbers Thanks for your time!

7. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB prerunner 4x4 manual
    5100s will work with 3 in springs but will need to be in stock position

Products Discussed in

To Top