1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

180k truck, would like maintenance tips

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mrmanowar, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:17 AM
    mrmanowar

mrmanowar [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    spike
    kona
    Vehicle:
    '01 2whl drive shrtbd
    just picked up a 2.4L, 2001, 5-speed, tacoma at auction...($2200), runs like a top, and want to do some timely maintenance. Changing the filters (maybe the fuel filter too), oil (fossil), sparkplugs, flushing the coolant, and checking all hoses, any more ideas? Got one thing I need help with.....cold it idles just fine, but after driving a while it will race a bit at idle (kinda like the engine is choking) and then will settle in at a mildly fast idle (no tach, sorry, my guess is 1400rpms)....any thoughts, haven't tried spraying down the hoses to find a hot vacuum leak, any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Jan 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    SunDevilTacoma

SunDevilTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Wht Double Cab PreRunner
    Turn signal relocation, built in fog light conversion, 4" deck plate
    Congrats on the Tacoma! I wish I could help with your questions but I'm not that mechanically inclined and I'd have to take it to an authorized Toyota shop and let them check it out.

Loved Kona when I was there a couple years ago, btw.

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    kc10driver

kc10driver Member

Member:
    mrmanowar,

Not quite sure on the idle issue. But here are a few things that I would inspect on a 180K vehicle.

*Note: Much of this will depend on how the truck has been driven in the past.

CV Boots: Look for any slinging of grease as well as boot deterioration.

Motor Mounts: Inspect for wear and or cracks

Tie Rods: Inspect boots for cracking/dry rotting

Ball Joints: Inspect for cracking/dry rotting

Struts: Look for blown/leaking struts. Another place to focus on are the bump stops. These can deteriorate over time. Again...all depends on previous drivers.

Those are a few things that should get you started. If you notice that the boots are cracking, don't freak out. This is almost to be expected with high mileage. With the CV boots...sometimes it is just easier to replace the whole axle. If all the boots are bad, you might consider this.

Hope that helps,

Mike

4. Jan 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Congrats on the Taco! And maybe try cleaning out the IAC? (Idle Air Control Valve) check all the vaccum lines. :notsure:

5. Jan 31, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    A rough idle is usually solved by changing the plugs and wires. A new O2 sensor(s) wouldn't hurt either.

6. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    mrmanowar

mrmanowar [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    spike
    kona
    Vehicle:
    '01 2whl drive shrtbd
    thanks for the help, will check the items mentioned, doing a bit at a time, got 3 months till it needs to be my only truck, so slow and steady. aloha from the 50th state, where almost every other car is a toyota.

7. Jan 31, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    Ranger18

Ranger18 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Odis
    gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBCB 4X4 TRD
    Timming Belt. Should be changed every 100,000. check all ball joints etc. lube. check for rust and wear. open the hood and listen to the engine from a cold start. when you drive it leave window down no radio and listen for anything unusal.

8. Jan 31, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
  9. Feb 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    mrmanowar

mrmanowar [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    spike
    kona
    Vehicle:
    '01 2whl drive shrtbd
    roger on the belt, leaks and front-end, seems it was well cared for before, as for pics, will send some after the clean up is over, (so far, I have removed vinyl graphics form both sides and tailgate, compounded 3/4 of the truck, and sanded, primed, and painted the tailgate, moved my ladder rack over and vacuumed and shampooed the interior). I still need to replace the front bumper (slight ding, and bracket problem), and then it will be ready to use...... hoping to take this toy to 350k to recoup my investment. thanks for the hits....

10. Feb 18, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    tacomabois

tacomabois New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab SR5 4WD TRD
    3 inch lift kit, 16 inch Alloy rims, A/T tires, Sirius XM Radio, 10% tint, tool box, bike mounts, CB w/ antenna.
    just change oil regularly, check fluids. i got 01 tacoma 4x4 and its in the woods twice a month and it has over 180k miles. i just change oil and keep clean fluids....

11. Feb 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    call me crazy but i am pretty sure that 4 banger Tacoma's have a timing chain (rarely needs to be changed) and v6 Tacoma's have a belt. I know my 2.7L has a chain.

I would start with some bosh fusion plugs, change all fluids (rear diff, trans, engine, and radiator). Get the radiator coolant from toyota its a little more than prestone but its really good stuff. Oh and new wire set cant hurt either.

Products Discussed in

To Top