Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RE-painting fender flares?? Front Bumper?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
those used to be black right? try mothers back to black
yeesh...that stuff is temporary and will wash away after a bit of contact with water.

My advice is to paint to match. I always thought the textured plastic non painted flares gave off the impression that it wasn't a highly optioned truck. Even if this is the case, color matching your flares will give it a nice finished look.

Wipe the flares with isopropyl, then prime, then paint. Make sure you get paint that is designed for vinyl/plastic since it will have a flex additive in it and will not crack.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #22
hobo_hut is on a distinguished road
hobo_hut's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of people on other forums rep using Penetrol on black plastic trim pieces. Penetrol is a flow control paint additive and is available at most hardware places like home depot. A lot of people swear by it and Ive seen pictures and have to admit they look convincing. Easy to apply and wont peal off is what they say. Just google it. **Disclaimer** I haven't tried it...I'm just offering a possible alternative to painting.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #23
iDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the rough

Name: Luke
iDigTulsa's Tacoma Gallery
Magic Eraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDigTulsa View Post
Check out the wonders of the Magic Eraser! A pack of four cost me about about $5.00.
Check out Post #14 for Before and After pics... I was and am still amazed.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
HusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
HusqyRider's Tacoma Gallery
+10 on mag eraser
Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #25
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDigTulsa View Post
Check out Post #14 for Before and After pics... I was and am still amazed.
I found the HD Magic Eraser at Home Depot, but haven't had time to use it yet. My fenders are total shit--they almost look color-matched to my lunar mist metallic!

I figure after the magic eraser, treat them with 303 each time I wash it (which is maybe onece every 2 months...). Anyone else used this approach yet? How long does it last? Seems to be the simplest by far compared to painting or other "restoration" products that require frequent retreatment.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #26
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Can you buy a color matched Spray paint to do the flares?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #27
yellowdotz is on a distinguished road

Name: SiNNeR
yellowdotz's Tacoma Gallery
plastidip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayenemy View Post
Anyone done this to their faded to gray black fender flares? What type of spray paint (im assuming) would i use and what shades?? Also How do some of he newer tacomas 06+ get that front bumper and grill to be the same color as the rest of the rig instead of that plastic-y looking chrome? Any ideas?

Have you tried plastidip flat black spray? I think that is the best for black, but it has a slight texture.

What about the stuff they spray stoves with? The heat spray. Those are very durable and resist the sun well.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I found the HD Magic Eraser at Home Depot, but haven't had time to use it yet. My fenders are total shit--they almost look color-matched to my lunar mist metallic!

I figure after the magic eraser, treat them with 303 each time I wash it (which is maybe onece every 2 months...). Anyone else used this approach yet? How long does it last? Seems to be the simplest by far compared to painting or other "restoration" products that require frequent retreatment.
Wow, this is old. BTW, the Magic Eraser is very temporary, even with 303. I tried the Mother's BtoB too. very temporary. Screw this. I don't have the patience for this kind of upkeep. I'm going to paint them with Duplicolor adhesion promoter primer and satin black bumper/trim paint this summer.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #29
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
PLASTIDIP! There, I said it.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
I used this stuff and only did 1 coat. Flares look killer now and have a little bit of texture for durability. Badass stuff! Mine have been painted since last year and look great still.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #32
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
I used this stuff and only did 1 coat. Flares look killer now and have a little bit of texture for durability. Badass stuff! Mine have been painted since last year and look great still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I used the exact same stuff on mine 2 weeks ago.
how do the rubber seals around the flares hold up with that? im between this and just finding some black plastic trim paint. also need to replace the seal by the gas door. the part where the flare goes in to give space for the gas door is where the seal is coming out. yall have this problem?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #33
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
how do the rubber seals around the flares hold up with that? im between this and just finding some black plastic trim paint. also need to replace the seal by the gas door. the part where the flare goes in to give space for the gas door is where the seal is coming out. yall have this problem?
I taped off the seal, so there's no bedliner on mine.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #34
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I taped off the seal, so there's no bedliner on mine.
gotcha. im gonna take mine off since I have to fix that seal anyhow... just easier to spray on cardboard over the grass rather than buy a crap ton of tape and newspaper lol.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #35
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
gotcha. im gonna take mine off since I have to fix that seal anyhow... just easier to spray on cardboard over the grass rather than buy a crap ton of tape and newspaper lol.
Haha definitely. I've got overspray all over my hood...
Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Haha definitely. I've got overspray all over my hood...
oooh no bueno
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #37
The bees know...
Aquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to all

Navy: NavAir Reconn
Aquatic Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you paint them, spend the time on proper prep. The "Trucks" show this weekend did a session on painting truck plastic. Good info. They prepped with a 3 part system from maybe Dupont? I don't remeber the company.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #38
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post

I've used this stuff on my flares, front bumper, and rocker panels. Looks great!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Tacoma View Post
If you paint them, spend the time on proper prep. The "Trucks" show this weekend did a session on painting truck plastic. Good info. They prepped with a 3 part system from maybe Dupont? I don't remeber the company.
Not much prep required for bedlining plastic. Just clean it off really good and that's it. Bedliner is completely different from paint.