Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RE-painting fender flares?? Front Bumper?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Slayenemy is on a distinguished road

Slayenemy's Tacoma Gallery
RE-painting fender flares?? Front Bumper?

Anyone done this to their faded to gray black fender flares? What type of spray paint (im assuming) would i use and what shades?? Also How do some of he newer tacomas 06+ get that front bumper and grill to be the same color as the rest of the rig instead of that plastic-y looking chrome? Any ideas?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
those used to be black right? try mothers back to black
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of people have used herculiner on the flares. For the grill, I am probably just going to buy a black one off of ebay and sell my gay chrome one on craigslist or something.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Faus is on a distinguished road
Faus's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking for an original satin black look i'd try this:

You probably wont find it in an auto parts store, i had to go to an auto paint supplier in town. I just did my flares and they turned out looking great! I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Slayenemy is on a distinguished road

Slayenemy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faus View Post
If you're looking for an original satin black look i'd try this:

You probably wont find it in an auto parts store, i had to go to an auto paint supplier in town. I just did my flares and they turned out looking great! I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
Awesome, yeah ill try this soon. Pics would be killer!!! THX!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
i would like to see the results! my herculined fender flares are fading cuz of the sun.... and are starting to peel..
Old 02-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
there is a thread that had a link to get the paint to match in a rattle can. let me go find it. brb

Edit: found it http://automotivetouchup.com/
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
Scosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura about

Name: Scotty
Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
For my flares I did flat black to match my stock rims that I painted flat black also. Looks great IMO
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #10
Ramphonic is on a distinguished road

Ramphonic's Tacoma Gallery
Ive thought about painting them with Krylon Fusion but worried about how chips would look.

I removed the gray coating on mine by washing them with 6 to 8 Mr Clean Magic Erasers, car soap and water. Then kept them coated with 303 protectant. Once every 6 months or so I need to wash with the erasers.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Faus is on a distinguished road
Faus's Tacoma Gallery
Here ya go. Keep in mind i just wiped one off so the rest of the truck isn't as clean. I don't have any before shots but they were similar to the front bumper which you can see is pretty well faded. My reason for repainting the flares was that they were biggining to chip so i used some glazing putty as well. I agree with the back to black suggestion that stuff works great and I'd definitely give it a try before going through the trouble of repainting.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
2004Taco will become famous soon enough

2004Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2004Taco Send a message via Yahoo to 2004Taco
Funny you should ask about faded flares. I just did mine this weekend using Dupli-color black trim paint. I took all my fender flares off, my rear plastic bumper thing and my front lower valance. I scuffed it using 320 grit sand paper and went to town on my trim. Looks brand new. Careful when you take off the fender flare because the plastic clips that are behind the flare that clip on to the actual fenderwill break and they cost $3.00 each from the dealer. I wish i had pics to show you.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
iDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the rough

Name: Luke
iDigTulsa's Tacoma Gallery
The Magic of the Magic Eraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphonic View Post
Ive thought about painting them with Krylon Fusion but worried about how chips would look.

I removed the gray coating on mine by washing them with 6 to 8 Mr Clean Magic Erasers, car soap and water. Then kept them coated with 303 protectant. Once every 6 months or so I need to wash with the erasers.
x2!

Check out the wonders of the Magic Eraser! A pack of four cost me about about $5.00. This project took me all of about 10 minutes last night and I only used one Magic Eraser. I'm going to hit it a few more times for good measure, you can still see some "grey" around the seal and lower edge of the flare, which will drive me crazy.

Faded Grey Fender Flare BEFORE The Magic Eraser.

Restored Black Fender Flare AFTER The Magic Eraser.

The AFTER picture of the flare does not have any "store bought" shine enhancing product applied (Black Magic, Back to Black, 303 ect.). The Magic Eraser is slightly abrasive, and removes the built up wax and oxidation that causes our flares to become grey over time. It also worked wonders on my unpainted door handles and my "faded" lower bumper as well. I may follow Ramphonic on this one and throw some 303 on there for good measure, but for the next few days i'm just going to stare at these things in awe.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Looks good and made your paint shine more lol
Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDigTulsa View Post
x2!

Check out the wonders of the Magic Eraser! A pack of four cost me about about $5.00. This project took me all of about 10 minutes last night and I only used one Magic Eraser. I'm going to hit it a few more times for good measure, you can still see some "grey" around the seal and lower edge of the flare, which will drive me crazy.

Faded Grey Fender Flare BEFORE The Magic Eraser.

Restored Black Fender Flare AFTER The Magic Eraser.

The AFTER picture of the flare does not have any "store bought" shine enhancing product applied (Black Magic, Back to Black, 303 ect.). The Magic Eraser is slightly abrasive, and removes the built up wax and oxidation that causes our flares to become grey over time. It also worked wonders on my unpainted door handles and my "faded" lower bumper as well. I may follow Ramphonic on this one and throw some 303 on there for good measure, but for the next few days i'm just going to stare at these things in awe.

Man that looks good i need to do that to mine. So the question is it the arm & hammer Magic Eraser or an auto body product because the only Magic Eraser I know of is the one my girl friend has under the sink.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
iDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the rough

Name: Luke
iDigTulsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Man that looks good i need to do that to mine. So the question is it the arm & hammer Magic Eraser or an auto body product because the only Magic Eraser I know of is the one my girl friend has under the sink.
Ha! That's the one, they sell a "heavy duty" one as well, it's supposed to last longer. But it's sold on the same isle, on the same shelf, right next to the ones your lady has under the sink. "Borrow" one of those and save yourself some cash, just don't tell I said it was ok.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDigTulsa View Post
Ha! That's the one, they sell a "heavy duty" one as well, it's supposed to last longer. But it's sold on the same isle, on the same shelf, right next to the ones your lady has under the sink. "Borrow" one of those and save yourself some cash, just don't tell I said it was ok.

I thought that was the one man that thing does wonders she uses it on everything. I will be doing it this weekend mine are not that bad but there bad enough to bother me every time I look at them. i was considering painting them body color like the limited Tacoma's but shit this is cheaper and I like to black look.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #19
Boosted17 is just really niceBoosted17 is just really niceBoosted17 is just really niceBoosted17 is just really nice

Name: Cliff
Boosted17's Tacoma Gallery
I did the torch trick to my front bumper and I am really happy how it turned out.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...t-replace.html
Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I did the magic eraser last weekend and it worked you should of seen all the gray crap coming off.

Here is a pic of half done this was just the eraser and it was HOT! so it was dry when I took the photo.

Now it takes a lot of elbow grease but it works I ended up doing it one more time to even everything out but for $5 bucks you can't beat that.