Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Deck Plate Mod?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Scosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura about

Name: Scotty
Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
Deck Plate Mod?

Ok so I plan on doing the deck plate mod on my 02 prerunner soon. I just wanted to know what are the pros and cons of this mod. Does it make your truck sound different and is it noticeable? And is this mod worth it? I plan on going buy a deck plate after school today.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...od-please.html

lots of opinions there
Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #3
cheese7882 is on a distinguished road

cheese7882's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine saturday at my work and then installed it the following morning when I got off work. It is really easy to do and with the deck plate, if you screw the cap in its back to factory.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Scosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura aboutScosh has a spectacular aura about

Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese7882 View Post
I did mine saturday at my work and then installed it the following morning when I got off work. It is really easy to do and with the deck plate, if you screw the cap in its back to factory.
did you notice any difference in sound? i was supposed to go buy a deck today, but its pouring down here
Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
I did it on my 2000 V6 and it did have a noticeable increase in growl. Acceleration feels a bit more snappy as well. I also removed the two silencers after the air filter.

Also, although I don't think fuel mileage is actually affected, just having a better sounding engine makes me drive harder, which, in turn, lowers my mileage (just fyi)!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #6

Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any substitute other than using a deck plate? I do not feel like ordering it and there are no shops down here that sell them.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #7

i'd just order it online bro. Its worth it in my opinion, i lucked out cause I live 30miles from the coast so there are a few boat shops around here. Its cheaper than a CAI and if you use a K&N drop in or something similar you'll get the same results. I'm happy with the mod. Save yourself some time and get the right bits if your using a dremel and use the sensor safe silicon too. I forgot the name of the stuff I used but it was in a blue tube and it was a gasket sealer or whatever. I was working a 24hr shift, but I let the glue set for about 13 hours and never got a warning light from it. If all else fails, factory air boxes are cheaper, especially if you go to a pick n pull type place. Also you can look into an elbow mod as well. I think it does the samething. I dont know what type of air box you have, but if its ribbed like mine, just use engough to fill in the voids. If you want a photo I can take one an show you.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
all the actual deckplate does s\is give you the ability to close it back up

just cutting a hole in the airbox will accomplish the same results but without being able to close it
Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine off ebay for $1 + $8 shipping. We actually used to have a boaters world here, in about the most landlocked place in the country, but it closed (go figure). I checked Cabelas and Bass Pro. Bass Pro didn't have anything, I think Cabelas carries a 5" or 6", not sure how big the V-6 will accept.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #10

Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'd just order it online bro. Its worth it in my opinion, i lucked out cause I live 30miles from the coast so there are a few boat shops around here. Its cheaper than a CAI and if you use a K&N drop in or something similar you'll get the same results. I'm happy with the mod. Save yourself some time and get the right bits if your using a dremel and use the sensor safe silicon too. I forgot the name of the stuff I used but it was in a blue tube and it was a gasket sealer or whatever. I was working a 24hr shift, but I let the glue set for about 13 hours and never got a warning light from it. If all else fails, factory air boxes are cheaper, especially if you go to a pick n pull type place. Also you can look into an elbow mod as well. I think it does the samething. I dont know what type of air box you have, but if its ribbed like mine, just use engough to fill in the voids. If you want a photo I can take one an show you.
The picture would help
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the one I got

And here it is installed

Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #12

^ the same mod as me, he just beat me to posting a pic
Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine off Ebay. They're $5-$10, Use a Dremel to cut it out and seal it with "sensor safe" silicon. I used a 4" which fits good on the 3.4L. I never really noticed a sound difference, but if you don't like it you can always put the cap back in and it's just like stock. Just buy a good air filter and make sure you clean out all the plastic shreds from you air box after you cut it out.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #14

Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered a 3 inch deckplate from ebay.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scosh View Post
Just ordered a 3 inch deckplate from ebay.
Nice. make sure you use a quality air filter too.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
The silicone i used was Permatex Sensor Safe silicone its in a blue tube and can be bought at about any auto parts dealer.
ive got pics on my profile if you want to look, its a 4"
Old 02-05-2010, 03:49 AM   #17

Scosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice. make sure you use a quality air filter too.
I bought the k&n air filter.