1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Filter Tricks

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Blumpkinson, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson [OP] Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    I have just searched and turned up empty handed, so my question is do you guys have any tricks for removing the oil filter? I take the splash guard off and turn the wheels but its still a freaking pain. There isnt much room to use a filter wrench , maybe im just over tightening it :notsure:

2. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Never have changed oil on a 1st gen, but is there enough room for this? Has always worked great for me on other cars/trucks too.

[​IMG]

3. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Possibly, looks like that would be a hell of alot stronger then a regular filter wrench, who make it?

4. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    A lot of different companies, should be able to find them at most auto parts stores. They do a lot better than all the other kinds of oil filter wrenches in my opinion. They call them oil filter pliers, or some companies call them wrenches.

5. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off Road
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    Never tighten your oil filter tighter than hand tight. A quarter turn just past "snug" should be the tightest you should ever go.

6. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Looks like theryre worth a try, any first gen guys have any tricks?

7. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    I always tighten it by hand, but it seems that after 3000 miles its very difficult to get the damn thing started.

8. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    Idrivetoys

Idrivetoys Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Yuma AZ
    Vehicle:
    I need a 4 door DC 4x4
    i use a typical filter wrench, not the strap style, but the clamp style for lack of a better description and it never fails me

Ryan

9. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    jterango

jterango Dr. Bronzbak

Member:
    eastern wv
    Vehicle:
    d-cab off road
    bed mat,access cover
    turn the wheels all the way to the left,take the wheel well liners down by pulling out the
    plastic fastener behind the right tire, filter is in easy reach. cant help you on keeping shit from running all over the bottom of your truck.. other than wrapping a plastic bag around it..

10. Feb 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Thanks for the input guys looks like ill be getting one of those wrenches.... now if i could figure out how not to make a complete freaking mess when i finally get the damn thing off:rolleyes:

11. Feb 4, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I'm always able to get the filer off by hand. In the future you might try using the Fram Tough Guard filter - it has a texturing on it to allow a better grip.

I always stuff a bunch of rags under/around the filter to mitigate the mess, but there's always still a mess. I haven't had to change my oil since I read it, but someone on the forum recommended cutting the top off of a 2-liter bottle and cutting an extra 'arc' out of it to hold underneath the filter when removing it to catch the oil.

Also, you can punch a hole in the end of the filter when the oil is draining and it'll leave a little less in the filter for mess making.

12. Feb 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    [​IMG]big hands help

13. Feb 4, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I haven't done my first change yet, but I did a dry run to see what I would need and how I would do it, because it looked like a bitch, even worse than my 93 4-banger. I decided to get a 3/8-drive ratchet-drive wrench of the correct size for the OEM filter top so you can use an extension and get some swing room (the other two filter wrenched I had were clearly not going to fit or have enough room). I also jacked up that corner of the truck to unload the suspension for more room so I didn't have to kiss the tire. Hell, I even unclipped one of the wire harnesses on the frame nearby. This would also make it easier to get the cut-off drink bottle in and out of there to catch the filter spill.

14. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    just tighten it less.

15. Feb 4, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    got_titan

got_titan Well-Known Member

Member:
    sevierville, tn
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport dc 4x4
    i just changed my oil and the last person who put it on must have been hulk! i spent at least 30 minutes trying to get the filter off. it was a fram so the texture wouldn't allow me to use my oil filter wrench....i cussed that filter till i was blue in the face....finally it came off....i personally would never use a fram on anything....the pure one sold at advanced auto parts is textured but allows the use of a cap style oil filter wrench and works great....my advice, dont ever use a fram. i have seen them first hand cause engine damage....

16. Feb 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    coldcanuk

coldcanuk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    3.4 L
    X2 - Fram makes complete garbage.........
    Don't ever use Fram if you care about your truck
    The good stuff:
    Amsoil
    Pure One
    OEM
    The list goes on.

Food for thought, on youtube some guy takes apart a bunch of filters. Also way more information then anyone could ever use on 'bobistheoilguy.com'.

I go with the turning the wheel method most of the time, and once in awhile drop the engine guard to clean things up.

17. Feb 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I used ones like this - they work great.
    [​IMG]

18. Feb 6, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I typically use Mobil 1 oil & filters. I got a good package deal once at Autozone on a gallon of oil (my choice of brand) and a Fram Tough Guard oil filter - I figured why not (and yes, I do care about my truck). It's the one and only Fram I've ever used. I'm not defending Fram oil filters, and I'm not trying to get something started, but I always say the proof is in the pudding with product preferences. Maybe I had the only good quality filter Fram has ever accidentally produced, but I had an oil analysis done by Blackstone after that change, and they said everything was "excellent". If the Fram was garbage, then I would assume something would have shown up after over 8k miles of use. Anyway, back to the subject of the thread...

BakoTruck, I've got a a wrench like the one shown in the second post that's a few years old, but it's still in the package (see pictures). I purchased it new when I started changing my own oil, but never needed it. I'd be happy to give it to you since it's just taking up space in my garage. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send it your way. May take a few days to get to Cali from Chattanooga, but I'll mail it Monday.

DSC_0087.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg

19. Feb 6, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    coldcanuk

coldcanuk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    3.4 L
    I've decided to make a Fram oil filter at home, here's what I'll need:
    Coke can for the outside, alot of flex
    Cheerios cereal box for the filter pleats
    Hot glue gun to meld the cereal box to the pop can
    wrap some coat hanger around my finger to make a back flow spring
    spray paint it orange..........GARBAGE.

Another trick to get off the tight filters if it's hard to get a grip. Put a nitrile 'Blue Glove' or fine sanpaper over the filter before the strap or band type filter wrench. It's best to get the clamp type that Amsoil sells, adjustable and you just stick a long extension on it.

Easiest just don't tighten it too much. In cold climates I find filters can come loose in <-25 C temps (contraction), so it's best to error on the side of 'tight' if in really cold temps.

20. Feb 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    s2kvtak

s2kvtak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Grillecraft grill w/ TRD badge, Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners set at 2.5" and Toytec AAL in the rear. 285/75-17 Interco TRXUS M/T
    you should need to tighten the filter past what your hands can do. if you lube the little rubber ring before you put the filter on it will seal just fine. the fram tough guard filters are good since they have the texturing around the bottom. that always helps.

and for the bottle trick cut about 4-6 inches off from the bottom up and you can wedge it beteeen the bottom of the filter and whatever else is in there. i think mine set on a tube or something that ran right through there. for me it caught all the oil that came out and had no mess after. just take some time and get it positioned just right and be careful taking it back out.

Products Discussed in

To Top