Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

head gasket

Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
head gasket

When I was rebuilding my power steering pump the other day, I noticed a little bit of oil on the back side of the head, on the pass side, it's nothing major yet, but a little seep none the less, so I was thinking of doing the head gasket this summer while I can ride my motorcycle around. so, has anyone done a head gasket on a first gen tacoma? if so, what are we looking at for cost and time? I would bring it to a shop to get the timing done and everything finished up.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say it's the valve cover gasket, if it's just oil back there.

The 3.4, like the 3.0 V6 actually seeped coolant when the head gasket leaked. I never saw any that leaked oil back there, and I did a ton of 'em back when the recall was going on.

On the 3.4, the coolant seeped out, and dried. It made a little white line of crusty dried up coolant, right where the head meets the block on the rear of the head.

The job is not that difficult, if you wanted to tackle it anyways. It's mostly just time consuming, since there is so much stuff that has to be removed to do it.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What He said ^^^^

Make sure the valve covers are torqued to specs.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I never put on a gasket when I get head.....
Old 02-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
a valve cover gasket would not take long at all if that is the problem which it sounds like, if it was a head gasket you would probably see leaking coolant, and also oilant when you check the oil (oil + coolant = oilant)

a HG change would take a few hours of labor, given that no warping was done, typically that happens when you dont know your HG blew, no coolant circulates and the engine overheats horribly.

having said all that, sounds like a valve cover gasket

Ryan
Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
I'd say it's the valve cover gasket, if it's just oil back there.

The 3.4, like the 3.0 V6 actually seeped coolant when the head gasket leaked. I never saw any that leaked oil back there, and I did a ton of 'em back when the recall was going on.

On the 3.4, the coolant seeped out, and dried. It made a little white line of crusty dried up coolant, right where the head meets the block on the rear of the head.

The job is not that difficult, if you wanted to tackle it anyways. It's mostly just time consuming, since there is so much stuff that has to be removed to do it.

---true dat. or might be the "half moons" but thats rare. if u do the valve cover gaskets dont forget to either replace or re-apply a sealer to them
Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I heard it is probably the valve cover gasket too. thanks guys