1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BudBuilt traction bar vs. Others

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 747, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Apr 2, 2008 at 4:33 PM

747 [OP] function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    I've saved the purchase price for the BudBuilt traction bar. However, I'm second guessing myself, and want to BE SURE before I pull the trigger.

I'm buying the bar in order to cure axle wrap on my 03 pre dbl cab trd. I've looked at all (I think all) options: New leafs; add-a-leaf; traditional traction bars (f'ing ugly); and the BudBuilt traction bar.

My question: Is the BudBuilt traction bar overkill? The way I figure, I'm investing in equipment that will eliminate the problem FOREVER. Am I right?

2. Apr 2, 2008 at 4:43 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you got a link to the product??

3. Apr 2, 2008 at 7:53 PM

747 [OP] function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
  4. Apr 2, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    looks pretty good to me!!! have you tried add-a-leaf yet?? that may help....but if not.....the traction bar should do the trick!!!

5. Apr 2, 2008 at 8:15 PM

747 [OP] function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    I figure that over time a new leaf pack would sag, the add-a-leaf would sag, and the non-BudBuilt traction bars would aesthetically bother me. Also, the add-a-leaf would raise the rear a couple of inches, and I like the way my truck looks as-is. I plan on driving my Tacoma until the wheels fall off (knock-on-wood). Thus, for the money I think that this is the best option.

Also, the guys on ttora give the bar and its manufacturer stellar reviews. I think I'm going to do it, and will post pics soon.

Thanks for your input t-man06.

6. Jun 10, 2008 at 11:15 PM
    SQUEEKS TACO

SQUEEKS TACO Member

Member:
    PISMO BEACH AREA 805
    Vehicle:
    01 2.7L 5sp reg-cab
    all stock but new 31 10.50's A/T hope to get some coilovers, uper A-arms, rear AAL and let her breath better with an intake and headder and exaust
    hey i saw that to and ya thatd be the best solution
    let me know how it works out
    i get alot of wrap/hop in the sand

7. Jun 11, 2008 at 8:32 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Bud is a hell of a great guy and his products are top notch! You won't be disappointed with his traction bar.

I went for a full custom one only because I wanted to integrate some driveshaft armor. If it wasn't for that I would have went with Bud's offering.

Redsyota likes this.
  8. Jun 11, 2008 at 8:46 AM

747 [OP] function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Installation was a headache, and is (as of today's date) incomplete. Issues were as follows:

1. The replacement studs required for the rear bracket attachment to the rear differential housing were defective: The threads sheared off upon attachment of the bracket to the differential housing. Solution: Replaced the studs with bolts -- another $10 and 1 hour of installation time.

2. The front bracket requires bushings, which were not included with the parts initially provided. Solution: BudBuilt provided the bushings upon my request -- delayed installation.

3. In order to attach the bar to the front bracket, a spherical tie rod end is used. However, the shaft/shank/thread space of the rod (approximately 2.25") is not long enough to properly install the bar (i.e., in order for the bar to reach and attach to the front bracket, only 2-3 threads of the rod end's shank would be in the bar -- that's not enough to hold up to the stress of regular, let alone off road, driving; I presume installation with the provided rod end would lead to shearing/failure of the rod end shank and, thus, the bar itself). Solution: I'm ordering a rod end with a longer shank (approximately 5") -- another $30, a time consuming parts search on the internet, and delayed installation.

Last: I don't even know if this thing will work. It seems to me that the bar may not prevent the "clunk" as the bar may not keep rear axle from moving back-to-front, or vice-versa. However, this last part is speculation as of today's date...once installation is complete I'll see how it works.

Photos, and my final installment regarding the traction bar, will be posted soon.

9. Jun 11, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Excellent info! If you let Bud know of the issues you've had he's likely fix them for future customers. :thumbsup:

Note that the traction bar should not prevent the axle from moving front-to-back, only from wrapping. As the leaf springs flex, the axle will naturally move forwards and backwards as the effective leaf length changes. Preventing this movement would bind the leaf springs and cause all kinds of unwanted issues.

10. Jun 21, 2008 at 4:26 PM

747 [OP] function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    [​IMG]

See my photos for additional pics...what a pain in the ass: The rod end with a longer shank was no longer available when I placed my order. I had a local machine shop add another 3" of bar onto each of the rear arms.

Me: 1; Axle Wrap: 0. In hindsight, I should've lived with the "clunk"...modification + missing parts = me, pissed off and tired of thinking about this stupid traction bar.

So end'eth my posts on this subject.

11. Feb 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    lilcoues

lilcoues Member

Member:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    4" lift, 33" tires
    This posting is almost 6 years old. I have seriously been thinking of installing a Bud Built Traction Bar to my 2002 Tacoma TRD. But I am certainly not interested in going through the nightmare 747 experienced. Does anybody know if all these issues he mentioned have been resolved with BB? JUST CURIOUS HOW THE BAR HAS HELD UP SINCE THIS POSTING.
    I also read another post where someone mentioning the studs in the 3rd member stripping from stress of usage. Ruining the third member. I certainly don't need that happening while out in the boonies.
    Both Pro Comp Traction bars I have on my Truck now have cracked twice where they attach at the axle. I just noticed that the 1/4" plate that goes under the leaf string that holds the bar bushing has cracked also.
    I just don't want to keep installing junk that doesn't work. Or a product that can't handle the stress applied during off road excursions. Any input would be welcome prior to committing to Bud Built.
    Here's a link stating the 3rd member mounting bracket cracked. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/canadian-classifieds/925316-bud-built-traction-bar.html

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  12. Feb 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    What springs you running?

13. Feb 22, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    This is the only time I've EVER heard of an issue with the BudBuilt traction bar. My guess is at the time the OP posted, BudBuilt only had a first gen version of the traction bar? Which didn't fit correctly on a 2nd Gen. As for the studs stripping, I'm going to make a guess and say they were over-torqued and stripped out.

Bottom line is from what I have seen, these are good traction bars, and are pretty well protected so they aren't typically subject to damage. They will control axle wrap.

I have heard of a case on a truck that was heavily wheeled offroad where a leak developed at the diff where the bracket attaches. However, this isn't for sure a problem with the bracket or traction bar.

14. Feb 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    lilcoues

lilcoues Member

Member:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    4" lift, 33" tires
    Stock Springs.
    Does any body out there have Pics of the weld on version of the Bud Built traction bar. I think I'd be more comfortable with that version.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  15. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Just discovered my own axle wrap and am looking at the BB traction bar, too. Anymore info , updates or advice from people who've used it?

opteron likes this.
  16. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    josh80

josh80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2012 6-Speed
    3 Link Dana 44 SAS With TG Verso Dual Cases.
    Looking to bump this post up, I', looking at that Bud Built bar right now and I'm still trying to get more reviews. Thanks!

17. Mar 15, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    eric0947

eric0947 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I'm also looking and would love to hear some reviews. Bump.

Products Discussed in

To Top