Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

BudBuilt traction bar vs. Others

Old 04-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
BudBuilt traction bar vs. Others

I've saved the purchase price for the BudBuilt traction bar. However, I'm second guessing myself, and want to BE SURE before I pull the trigger.

I'm buying the bar in order to cure axle wrap on my 03 pre dbl cab trd. I've looked at all (I think all) options: New leafs; add-a-leaf; traditional traction bars (f'ing ugly); and the BudBuilt traction bar.

My question: Is the BudBuilt traction bar overkill? The way I figure, I'm investing in equipment that will eliminate the problem FOREVER. Am I right?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith747 View Post
I've saved the purchase price for the BudBuilt traction bar. However, I'm second guessing myself, and want to BE SURE before I pull the trigger.

I'm buying the bar in order to cure axle wrap on my 03 pre dbl cab trd. I've looked at all (I think all) options: New leafs; add-a-leaf; traditional traction bars (f'ing ugly); and the BudBuilt traction bar.

My question: Is the BudBuilt traction bar overkill? The way I figure, I'm investing in equipment that will eliminate the problem FOREVER. Am I right?
you got a link to the product??
Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.budbuilt.com/new/traction_bars.html
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
looks pretty good to me!!! have you tried add-a-leaf yet?? that may help....but if not.....the traction bar should do the trick!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
function > form

747's Tacoma Gallery
I figure that over time a new leaf pack would sag, the add-a-leaf would sag, and the non-BudBuilt traction bars would aesthetically bother me. Also, the add-a-leaf would raise the rear a couple of inches, and I like the way my truck looks as-is. I plan on driving my Tacoma until the wheels fall off (knock-on-wood). Thus, for the money I think that this is the best option.

Also, the guys on ttora give the bar and its manufacturer stellar reviews. I think I'm going to do it, and will post pics soon.

Thanks for your input t-man06.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
SQUEEKS TACO is on a distinguished road

SQUEEKS TACO's Tacoma Gallery
hey i saw that to and ya thatd be the best solution
let me know how it works out
i get alot of wrap/hop in the sand
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Bud is a hell of a great guy and his products are top notch! You won't be disappointed with his traction bar.

I went for a full custom one only because I wanted to integrate some driveshaft armor. If it wasn't for that I would have went with Bud's offering.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
function > form

747's Tacoma Gallery
Angry What a pain in the a$$!

Installation was a headache, and is (as of today's date) incomplete. Issues were as follows:

1. The replacement studs required for the rear bracket attachment to the rear differential housing were defective: The threads sheared off upon attachment of the bracket to the differential housing. Solution: Replaced the studs with bolts -- another $10 and 1 hour of installation time.

2. The front bracket requires bushings, which were not included with the parts initially provided. Solution: BudBuilt provided the bushings upon my request -- delayed installation.

3. In order to attach the bar to the front bracket, a spherical tie rod end is used. However, the shaft/shank/thread space of the rod (approximately 2.25") is not long enough to properly install the bar (i.e., in order for the bar to reach and attach to the front bracket, only 2-3 threads of the rod end's shank would be in the bar -- that's not enough to hold up to the stress of regular, let alone off road, driving; I presume installation with the provided rod end would lead to shearing/failure of the rod end shank and, thus, the bar itself). Solution: I'm ordering a rod end with a longer shank (approximately 5") -- another $30, a time consuming parts search on the internet, and delayed installation.

Last: I don't even know if this thing will work. It seems to me that the bar may not prevent the "clunk" as the bar may not keep rear axle from moving back-to-front, or vice-versa. However, this last part is speculation as of today's date...once installation is complete I'll see how it works.

Photos, and my final installment regarding the traction bar, will be posted soon.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith747 View Post
It seems to me that the bar may not prevent the "clunk" as the bar may not keep rear axle from moving back-to-front, or vice-versa.
Excellent info! If you let Bud know of the issues you've had he's likely fix them for future customers.

Note that the traction bar should not prevent the axle from moving front-to-back, only from wrapping. As the leaf springs flex, the axle will naturally move forwards and backwards as the effective leaf length changes. Preventing this movement would bind the leaf springs and cause all kinds of unwanted issues.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
function > form

747's Tacoma Gallery
Installed

See my photos for additional pics...what a pain in the ass: The rod end with a longer shank was no longer available when I placed my order. I had a local machine shop add another 3" of bar onto each of the rear arms.

Me: 1; Axle Wrap: 0. In hindsight, I should've lived with the "clunk"...modification + missing parts = me, pissed off and tired of thinking about this stupid traction bar.

So end'eth my posts on this subject.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
lilcoues is on a distinguished road
lilcoues's Tacoma Gallery
747's Nightmare

This posting is almost 6 years old. I have seriously been thinking of installing a Bud Built Traction Bar to my 2002 Tacoma TRD. But I am certainly not interested in going through the nightmare 747 experienced. Does anybody know if all these issues he mentioned have been resolved with BB? JUST CURIOUS HOW THE BAR HAS HELD UP SINCE THIS POSTING.
I also read another post where someone mentioning the studs in the 3rd member stripping from stress of usage. Ruining the third member. I certainly don't need that happening while out in the boonies.
Both Pro Comp Traction bars I have on my Truck now have cracked twice where they attach at the axle. I just noticed that the 1/4" plate that goes under the leaf string that holds the bar bushing has cracked also.
I just don't want to keep installing junk that doesn't work. Or a product that can't handle the stress applied during off road excursions. Any input would be welcome prior to committing to Bud Built.
Here's a link stating the 3rd member mounting bracket cracked. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/canad...ction-bar.html
Old 02-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
What springs you running?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
This is the only time I've EVER heard of an issue with the BudBuilt traction bar. My guess is at the time the OP posted, BudBuilt only had a first gen version of the traction bar? Which didn't fit correctly on a 2nd Gen. As for the studs stripping, I'm going to make a guess and say they were over-torqued and stripped out.

Bottom line is from what I have seen, these are good traction bars, and are pretty well protected so they aren't typically subject to damage. They will control axle wrap.

I have heard of a case on a truck that was heavily wheeled offroad where a leak developed at the diff where the bracket attaches. However, this isn't for sure a problem with the bracket or traction bar.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
lilcoues is on a distinguished road
lilcoues's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Springs.
Does any body out there have Pics of the weld on version of the Bud Built traction bar. I think I'd be more comfortable with that version.