1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Herculiner Questions...???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingston73, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Like it says, I've got questions about Herculiner. How well does it work? It's only $80 from Ace Hardware, but is it worth the price? Is it rubbery or dries hard? Any tricks in application?

2. Feb 7, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    If applied and cured correctly it is pretty durable. It will actually heat up when applied to allow it to bond. I lined the floor of a horsetrailer with one time. Worked pretty well. It peeled some starting about 2 years later.

3. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB prerunner 4x4 manual
    what are you using it for? what ever you are using it on must be sanded and cleaned no grease or wax and it sticks good. get some extra acetone for clean up and clean it up asap or it will be there forever. when its new it looks nice and glossy but it fades real quick and looks like underlining after about 6 months. they do make a uv coating for it but i have never used it.

4. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I was initially going to take out my stock plastic bed liner and coat the bed with it. I've got a cap so I'm not worried about UV resistance. If I like how it looks I may possible coat my motorcycle's tank with it. Yeah, I know it'll look a little ratty, but it's an old bike and won't ever look "new" again. The only thing with that is I wonder how well it'll stand up to gasoline spilled on it.

5. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    98Tacoma

98Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    k&N intake, 40 flowmaster turndown, westin brushguard,10 inch JL sub, alpine cd player.painted black tool box. bilstein 5100s 3inch Ebiach springs all around and toytec aal. mickey thompson beadlocks. and 33inch goodyear duratracs
    i put it on mine last summer and its still holding up prettey strong. but like everyone else said jsut do good prep work i scuffed mine up and cleaned it real good with acetone. but if you hit it with something sharp or anything it will sometimes peel off but it dosent take much to fix it.had my 4 wheeler in there every weekend and it holds up greatplus it looks better then the plastic.

6. Feb 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    blitz10

blitz10 Active Member

Member:
    I am sanding on my bed now to put herculiner on. I bought a pad that goes on a drill to scuff the paint. Still working on it.

7. Feb 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I had it on my 96 tacoma bed, my 92 & 94 Jeep Wrangler interior floor boards.

#1 - don't wear good clothes or shoes. Whatever you wear, be prepared to throw it out if you get anything on ya.
    #2 - don't get it on your skin. If you do, get it off ASAP. If it dries on your skin, don't scrub it off. You could end up with a rash.
    #3 - Buy disposable brushes & pans. Don't use foam cups, it'll eat right through 'em.
    #4 - thin rubber gloves don't work, it eats right through 'em. Get thick ones....(I never tried thick ones myself)

I had it for about 5 years on my 96 taco. It's not thick, so loading up heavy things like boulders & axles (for example) can & will scrape it off if you slide it across it. Have no fear....buy more Herculiner and just paint the spots.

I also had a tonneau cover on the truck. The stuff underneath the tonneau cover lasted for 5+ years. THe stuff that was not covered (over the rails) did come off over time - but I simply bought more and re-applied it.

8. Feb 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    if u get that stuff on your skin, use xylene immediately to get that stuff off or that shit will stay on your hand for like a week or two...

9. Feb 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Search "Herculined my grill..." and you'll see how my grille surround and bumpers turned out.

If you get it on you you'll have a rash for a couple weeks, so be sure tp get it off you as soon as you can. the fumes from the herculiner irritated my skin from having my shirt off the first day I did it.

good luck

10. Apr 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    tacomabud

tacomabud Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bud
    RI
    Vehicle:
    04 Black Xtra Cab
    K&N replacement, 4" Deck plate mod, Thrush Welded muffler, 2nd Gen. TRD rims, Herculinered bed, Grey wire mod, OME lift w/ 883 coils and AAL, 265/75/16 BFG A/T, AP 1.5" wheel spacers
    I know this is an old thread, but just another quick question about Herculiner...
    Is it better to just scuff up the surface, or would it be better to almost wire brush it (either to bare metal or making deep groves)? I am going to line bed of my Tacoma over the summer and wanted to know other peoples experiences and opinions were.

11. Apr 3, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The Herculiner kit comes with a scuffy pad. That's plenty.
    To make the job go easier/faster...take an orbital sander and sand the paint.
    It's also critical to get all the dust off and wipe it down with acetone (as per the instructions).

12. Apr 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    FightFire48

FightFire48 Taco Monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    3" Toytec lift AEM BruteForce CAI Gibson exhaust 2 - Rockford Fosgate 8's
    as long as you take your time and i mean take your time with prep it actually works really well. It's a must for the acetone. I've had in my truck for a year and not one complaint about works real well.

Products Discussed in

To Top