Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

That annoying clicking sounds by the a/c/heater fan...

Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
coop is on a distinguished road
coop's Tacoma Gallery
That annoying clicking sounds by the a/c/heater fan...

I read several threads on this problem on here like this one, but I'm not convinced I have the exact same problem. I've got a 1st Gen, 2000 PreRunner, about 80k, all stock.

I noticed a clicking sound when I turned on the heater fan about a month ago, and thought there was frozen moisture inside the fan or maybe some fragments of plastic, dirt, or whatever. Guess I should have checked then, because this morning the problem was worse.

It doesn't squeak or squeal like some of the others I've read on here. It sounds like a piece of paper is rubbing against the fan, more like a brushing sound, or a loose wire fell down and gets caught intermittently in the blades. It happens at all speeds.

I'm going to start by cleaning it, but here's the weird thing, that I didn't see in any other posts on this: my outside air vent is suddenly harder to switch open or closed, either way.

Same problem, or something else?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same problem on my '06 dc but cant seem to find the problem. I think i might be a piece of something like you said because the higher i turn on the heat/cool the clicking gets quicker
Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
coop's Tacoma Gallery
So yeah, took the blower off and checked the air filter and looks like Fivel's been living in my air system for God knows how long. Problem is I don't know if he's still in there so I set a trap in the filter box. Also a little concerned the mouse could be further into my engine after taking the air filter off, but we'll see.

The blower still works, but there was black mesh netting all tangled up in the motor that I have no idea where it came from?

Any ideas? Is there a filter for the blower? I can't seem to find one, but I have no idea where else this fabric would have come from, other than maybe around the housing where the fan sits.

Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
HoofHearted
HARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: McLovin
HARDSHELLTACO's Tacoma Gallery
My dad had this happen in his Corolla. I was changing his cabin air filter, i pulled it out and it was full of some really randow crap. As i went to put the new one in it wouldn't go. Thats's because apparently there was a mouse nest inside his a/c. It was a mess there was insulation from inside my parents house, some thread, pieces of newspaper and to make matters worse when i pulled the filter out it all fell into the blower. I think he has to clean his dash daily. Good luck with your adventures.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
coop's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wondering if that's what the black mesh stuff is. It's all tangled up from spinning in the blower motor and doesn't look like it would be very good insulation, so maybe the mouse pulled it in there?

But there's quite a bit of it, which makes me wonder how on earth it got in there in the first place? It looks like it was inside the passenger side fender where the filter is, and I guess it could have gotten in when the vent was open.

There weren't too many droppings so it may have left long ago, but I set two traps in the truck and one outside, so we'll see.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
how do you get to the air filter? isnt it behind the glove compartment?...
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
try this..taken from http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...=215238&page=2

Quote:
I've found the reason for the ticking sound. My dealer kept saying "normal" and "there are leaves in the fan". I kept telling them otherwise until I got pissed enough to just take apart the blower fan and see where EXACTLY the sound was coming from. The sound is coming from the metal faceplace which covers the wire spool around the spindle of the fan. the faceplace must be balanced properly because it holds in place the spindle which is rotating for the fan to blow. when the faceplace is off balance by one of two screws that holds it in place, the fan ticks like a MF'er....as you balance the plate, the tick goes away and is as quiet as a mouse.

#1 I took my glove box completely off making sure to release the springy thing first on the right side towards the passenger door and then just popped her out.

#2 I then got out my trusty ratchet with a 5.5mm socket and removed 3 screws on the underside of the blower....the fan will slide out easily. leave the wires attached (be careful as the fan is still runnin' lectric)

#3 let down the door that holds the cabin filter in and remove filter. now you can reach up in there and see if any of those mysterious leaves are present. blow it out with your air compressor or just root your hand around in there to get anything out.

#4 hold the black plastic fan housing in your hand carefully and reach over and turn your a/c on the low setting (BE CAREFUL as that thing is quick to get away from you and can take a nub off pretty quickly) make sure you can hear the sound coming from the assembly in your hand. If so, move to step #5.

#5 remove the covering with a phillips screwdriver (4 screws - i think) and remove that cover to reveal a silver metal cover with TWO (2) lubed screws. THESE ARE THE SCREWS THAT MUST BE BALANCED. Take a pair of vice grips and grab the black housing with them so you can get your hands away from the moving fan and so you can hold it steady. then use your phillips screwdriver on one of the two screws and notice how you can make the sound/tick worse as you tighten one of the screws.....too tight and the fan slows down and/or TICKS, too loose and the fan slows down....(spindle getting in a bind).

There is a point where the fan will turn fastest and the sound will disappear magically. You'll see what I'm talking about once you're in there adjusting the screws to find that perfect point.

#6 re-assemble and enjoy!

I hope this helps a few people that have this ANNOYING sound!

sometimes it just takes getting pissed off.....damn delphi.

Why didn't they have metal stoppers under those screws or not have the spindle held still by a moveable plate......argh....

I think that over time, those screws are backing out at different rates, which makes the spindle bind up and/or ticking sound occur......
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
coop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterIvey View Post
how do you get to the air filter? isnt it behind the glove compartment?...
I found a bunch of leaves and some droppings in the air filter in the engine compartment. I didn't see any cab filter behind the glove box. If there was, it was around the blower and that could be the crap I pulled out of it.

All the replacement blowers I found didn't seem to show any filters.

I have a 2000 PreRunner. If I'm not mistaken the newer ones have the cab filters behind the glove box, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
coop's Tacoma Gallery
That mesh netting I mentioned? The lining on the under side of my hood.

The lil' punk mouse was ripping it off by the yard and shoving it into my a/c ducts and blower.

Cleaned it out, put everything back, and there was more the next morning. Set traps that night, next day nothing. Traps are still set for the day, but if I don't get this guy it'll drive me nuts.

My concern now is how many other places there are droppings in the my ducting that I'll be inhaling every time I run the blower.

Any suggestions on how to check or clean out my ducting?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
coop's Tacoma Gallery
Mouse Hunt!

Another update:

Mouse alive and kicking and pissing me off, because now it chewed through a wire and truck won't start.

I've attached a picture of the plug that goes into the engine block (circled in green) and the other end that was connected to what was left of the wire (green arrow), which I was able to remove. The one in the middle is about 3/4in in diameter, right behind the radiator hose mount, on the engine side of the belt housing.

My first question does what is this wire control? I am guessing something to do with fuel injectors.

Second, how do you get disconnect? It's really hard to access, or even see, but it feels like there's a clip on it, but I can't get it.
Attached Thumbnails
That annoying clicking sounds by the a/c/heater fan...-p1010007.jpg  
Old 09-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Tcoop is on a distinguished road
Tcoop's Tacoma Gallery
re-Ticking sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
I'm getting the same ticking sound from my 2010 Tacoma! Is the procedure you outlined the same for this vehicle?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Tacoma10Ranger is on a distinguished road
Tacoma10Ranger's Tacoma Gallery
I used the procedure mentioned above for my 2010 Tacoma. I loosened the screws in the faceplate and that definitely reduced the sound but didn't eliminate it. I bought some graphite (not WD 40) to spray into the base of the motor because there was still a little bit of that annoying sound. Seems to have disappeared. We will see what happens after a few days.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
daze57 is on a distinguished road
daze57's Tacoma Gallery
stupid mouse !
Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #14
Bcallahan79 is on a distinguished road
Name: Blake
Bcallahan79's Tacoma Gallery
After a year of hearing that god awful noise its finally gone!! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
Bcallahan79 is on a distinguished road
Name: Blake
Bcallahan79's Tacoma Gallery
Have the fan on when you are putting screws back in, this seems to make all the difference. One screw tighter than the other and it will off balance and start the clicking again. Found this out after many of do overs.