1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Won't Shift Into 4wd

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by EODGibby, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    EODGibby

EODGibby [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    1986 Toyota Tacoma
    Warn M8000 Winch
    He everyone, just made this account for a friend who's having a problem with his truck. I'm not too savy with Toyota's so I figured I'd post in here for where to start looking for his problem. I'd do a search, but we're at work and I don't have much time to be browsing around. I'm hoping that by posting this now, we'll have something to work with by the end of the work day. He's not an offroader, but the roads are crappy with snow and he'd like his 4wd back.

The truck is a 1986 Toyota 4x4 P/U (Tacoma?), V6, auto tranny, not sure what type of transfer case comes in these. Basically, his transfer case won't go into 4hi or 4 low. The lever will physically shift into the positions, but there is no 4wd. The indicator light on the dash will click and flash three or four times when going into 4hi, but then stays off. It almost seems to me like maybe a switch or solenoid has gone bad?

One other note. By reading the 4wd instructions on the visor, it seems like this truck came with manual hubs. There are just normal caps over the front hubs, so I'm assuming that they were changed to automatic hubs at some point?

Anyone give me an idea of where to look? I'm going to go check fuses and crap at lunch but beyond that, I'll need some help. Let me know if you need any more info about the truck. Thanks in advance.

2. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB prerunner 4x4 manual
    it would be very hard to retro fit a auto disconnect system to that truck. not sure on the 86 but i had a 85 same but last year of straight axle leaf spring. I would look for manual hubs under caps or check to see if it has a front driveshaft and half shafts . ive seen weird stuff before like a 90 4 runner with half shafts or drive shaft removed to save gas or at least that what the guy that owned it said

3. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    EODGibby

EODGibby [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    1986 Toyota Tacoma
    Warn M8000 Winch
    Just realized that I may have posted in the wrong forum? Mods, please move if necessary.

Pairodice- Thanks, I'll go do some more looking around in a few minutes.

4. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    For 86 you had these options

5. Feb 9, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    EODGibby

EODGibby [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    1986 Toyota Tacoma
    Warn M8000 Winch
    Well, I was finally able to figure it out with help from another forum. The problem was with the A.D.D. system. In the end, it was a very simple fix. The two vacuum lines had been recently replaced and whoever put them in had them attached to the two ADD solenoids in reverse order. That was one of the first things I had checked yesterday, but I must have been doing something wrong because I didn't have a good understanding of the system at the time (and it didn't correct the problem).

Thanks for the help.

6. Feb 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    EODGibby

EODGibby [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    1986 Toyota Tacoma
    Warn M8000 Winch
    Oh yeah, my friend gave me bad info at first too. The truck is a 92, not an 86.

Products Discussed in

To Top