1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What are these oil lines?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2cycles, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Feb 10, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    2cycles

2cycles [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Dbl Cab
    Hey all, new to the forum but have had my truck since new. Today I noticed an apparent leak of some sort inside the left front wheel. After crawling under it and looking under the hood it looks like the leak may be from one or both of these two small lines. Can someone tell me what they are and how difficult to replace?

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Those are breathers if I'm looking at what your looking at? The two with a silver cap on the ends? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Any ways, if I'm correct:rolleyes:, don't see why anything should be coming out of them? Maybe over heating of one or both? Shouldn't have to replace. I just did the the breather extension mod for the rear on mine. Even though you don't see the breather I sure got a pretty one...http://www.northeastxt.com/vent.html.

3. Feb 10, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    They're the breather lines for your transfer case and front differential. I'm no expert, but it seems odd to me that they're leaking? The purpose of them is to allow the air inside those components to expand and contract without causing undue pressure or vacuum inside. They're located higher up like that so they won't suck in water if you're in deep.

There shouldn't be anywhere near enough fluid inside to come out of the breathers. There are some knowledgeable folks on the forum that may have some possible causes for you. Have you recently changed/filled the fluid is the t-case & front diff.?

4. Feb 10, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    2cycles

2cycles [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Dbl Cab
    Thanks Kilo, Yes the 2 with the silver caps. The caps are "loose" and can swivel so I thought maybe they were vents for something, must be for the tranny. Wonder why fluid is coming out...

5. Feb 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    2cycles

2cycles [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Dbl Cab
    No, nothing has been recently serviced. And I'm just guessing this is where the fluid is coming from since the lines are wet.

6. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate

Again, not sure why anything would be coming out of them, but the one that I purchased for the rear is a whole lot better than OEM. Don't think you would need to replace these two up front but you might do the mod for the rear with a better one. You can still use the OEM for it but get it off the axle and higher so no water gets sucked in.

7. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    The fluid that seems to be leaking from them. Is it oil, water, or a mixture? Is it milky or cloudy? One guess I would venture is that maybe somehow you got water in both or one of them, and now when things heat up the expansion causes some leaking?

8. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    that sounds about right

9. Feb 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    2cycles

2cycles [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Dbl Cab
    It seems to be only oil, not cloudy as best as I can tell. I used 4wd yesterday as there was some snowand slush on the roads so hopefully you're correct Beau02. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks everyone for your input and I'll post what comes of it.

10. Feb 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    This is more my opinion than anything else, but if I were in your shoes I would change the gear oil in both the front diff. and t-case to be safe. For anything at all to be coming out of those breathers, something is wrong - maybe detrimental to those components and maybe not.

Keep a close eye on them. Get them dry & clean and check frequently If conditions allow do some driving in 4wd. Good luck.

And x2 on what kilo said, putting an extension on the rear diff. is cheap and easy. I virtually never get into high water, but did it as an insurance policy. Total cost was less than a change of gear oil in the diff...

Products Discussed in

To Top