Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

33s or 31s? Decisions, decisions

Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
33s or 31s? Decisions, decisions

I'm currently running 31X10.50X15s and need tires. I have a set of Billy 5100s set at the highest setting, but I think I only got about 2" max lift out of them, because my springs have settled a bit. I sure would like to move up to BFG T/A KM2s in 33X10.50X15 (I'm keeping the stock 15" rims), but don't know whether the hassle is worth it. I'm having a hard time finding a tire dealer who will mount them on my Gen 1, so I'll have to buy the tires at one place and shop around for a shop that will mount/balance them for a reasonable price. Sure adds to the cost.

Or, I just stick with the 31s and get it all whacked out in one shot at Costco and not waste the time.

What do you think? Sure would like to see some gen 1s with 33s. Pics anyone?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
31's are too small with a lift. IMO
Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
you can buy a 32 11.50 15 though... get that!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
if you get 33s and wish you had 31s let me know, i have 31s with about 1200 miles on them and wish i had 33s but i have more lift than you do also and im in Fredericksburg

Ryan
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
Still have the same problems with getting the 32s mounted. Might as well go with the 33s if I'm going to have to shop for a place to mount them.

Anybody know whether the stock rim offset will be ok with 33s?

I'm planning on sticking with the 31" spare for now. If I get a flat in back, I'll just swap a front to rear and put the spare on the front. In 2wd that should be fine for a temp fix, right?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
i would go with the 33's or 32's

im also in the same situation ive got a 3" lift and 31's, it kinda looks weird, but i dont know if the 33's will fit. i sure wish someone had pics of a 1st gen with a 3" lift and 33's or 32's
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
mine are a 275/65/18, which comes out to a 32.07" tire. they fill up the fender well very nicely. i have the 3 inch pro comp spacer and it is sagged a bit but not too much.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
REDSEAWATACO57 will become famous soon enough

Name: Chanh
REDSEAWATACO57's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my 01 taco with 285/75/16 (33"s) pics aren't that great and its raining like mad here in seattle. Will get better pics when it drys. Rubs a little on full turn and going up drive ways....

Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
3 Inch Revtech lift on 33x12.5x15 Maxxis Bighorns. Hope this might help ya out.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my '03 with a roughly 2.5" lift and 265/75/16. Rubs a little on the inner fender under compression and partial lock.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #11

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
Ah...the 33s have it. I'm gonna jack up my pickup and take off the wheels and haul the wheels to Costco and have them mount the tires on the wheels. If they ask what I'm going to put it on, I'll just make something up...like "they're going on a Ford F-150". What a hassle!

Decision made.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #13

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
Too late. Just completed the order. Besides, I like the 33X10.50. I don't need or want the extra width. From what I have read, the 33s should clear just fine on my truck, since I'll not be doing any hard wheeling for a while. By the time I get around to it I expect to have OME 883s and an ARB bull bar on it. If I need to do the pinch weld modification, I will address that when the need arises. My pickup has 4.30 gears, so, according to the calculators on this site, the 33s should bring my rpms back into the "stock" range. I have always found myself looking for a 6th gear on the highway. My only unknown is whether I'll get any rubbing due to the stock rim offset. Most people with 33s run aftermarket rims. Should be slight, if any, so I'm not worried much.

Should be a stout and nice-looking pickup when I'm done (are we ever really "done"?). I'll post some pics once I get the new tires on.

Thanks for all the replys. Especially Tacoma02trd. Your pic was a big help in the decision. Looks nice!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #14

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
By the way, Ryan, keep watching the forum, because if these 33s don't work out for some odd reason, I will be looking for you.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #15

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
OK! The 33s are on!! 33X10.50X15 BFG T/A KM2. No rubbing, look great, feel great, a lot quieter than my Cooper Mud Terrains. Love them.

The installer recommended I go with a packet of some sort of beads for balancing, rather than lead weights. You just toss a small plastic bag in before you seat the rim. He said it takes about 10 miles or so before the bag breaks and the beads release. They somehow balance the tires. He said he has never had a complaint, that all the truckers use them on their big rigs, and that if I wasn't satisfied he would do a spin balance on them later. I'll give it a shot.

Also found out my left-inner tie rod end needs replacing. The guy said my wheels are "self-aligning" right now (ha ha). Just bought the part at Autozone for $90. It runs $190 at Toyota. The Toyota one must be a lot better...or maybe the shipping is higher...who knows. Going to replace it today.

Sorry no pics just yet. My computer isn't talking to my camera for some reason.

Next add-on: An ARB Bull Bar!!!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
cumminsdiesel is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
cumminsdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
It's called powder balance. We use them with big truck tires and supposedly balances the tire out... There are people who swear by them and people who think they are worthless. I suggest seeing how your tire balances out in first 5k miles (evenly, unevenly) and go from there..
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
good stuff, glad it worked out for you
Old 02-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Lee
s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
33s all the way. i just put them on my 2004 and love it! pics in a minute
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Lee
s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
a bunch of pics about halfwayy down with some flexing too. lift is bilstein 5100s set all the way up and toytec AAL in the rear. compareable to what you have
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post1445781
Old 02-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrivetoys View Post
if you get 33s and wish you had 31s let me know, i have 31s with about 1200 miles on them and wish i had 33s but i have more lift than you do also and im in Fredericksburg

Ryan

What the hell is wrong with the tire dealerships in VA? I don't see why theres a problem with mounting any tire over 31",I had no problems upgrading to 32"x11.50x15"'s, send them back to tire changing school....