1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help painting flares

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 00taco, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Feb 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    00taco

00taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    cali
    Vehicle:
    black 00 tacoma v6
    wheels, tires, sound system, hid headlights, 1st gen fog light mod, tinted tails hella 500s on custom light bar, dust light, led white guages/dash lights, color matched grille, exhuast, blacked bumper and accents....
    so a few months ago i herculined my fender flares but recently theve just looked like crap and made me wish i didnt do it so i scraped all that crap off and repainted them to match the truck

it looks alot better but the front passenger side flare is pissing me off!:mad:

the back half off it is fine but the paint keeps getting huge bumps and pits and ive stripped and re-painted it twice now and it keeps coming back

ive been painting for a number of years and i cant seem to get this fixed

is there any way i can make it look better without sanding it all off agian?

2. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    xSpyderguyx

xSpyderguyx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Washinton State
    Vehicle:
    2001 3.4L v6 SR5
    s40 Flowmaster 33" Toyo M/T tires 16" P.A wheels 3" revteck Suspension lift
    Oh yes, I remember the days where I did this. Well after owning my own composites company I have learned a few things about painting.

Since Flares are plastic they are bit tougher to paint.

Step 1: Really clean the surface, with rubbing alcohol or somthing
    Step 2: Primer Primer Primer!(get it at walmart, allpurpose or metal/plastic)
    Step 3: Paint the Flare in good conditions(with your flare paint) (let dry for 24 hrs)
    Step 4: Add second coat if needed(but dont over-paint)
    Step 5: Find a Plastic outdoor paint sealant/finish(walmart, homedepot)
    Step 6: Spray the finish, let dry 12 hours, spray again, let dry 24 hours

The key is letting the damn stuff dry. If it is just the sligthest bit wet, it will gum up and flake off in less than 3 months. Take your time, stay inside the garage(crack the door ofc). And remember, it does matter what temperature it is. If it is below 50, it will take 3 times as long to 100% set.

Hope this helps!

(If you find that it doesnt work, which it should, you could try lightley sanding the flare to really create a good bond)

3. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    hmm i have the same problem lol, my herculined flares are peeling and the color has faded... did yu try the herculiner UV coat protectant? i was wondering if that would do the job..

4. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    00taco

00taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    cali
    Vehicle:
    black 00 tacoma v6
    wheels, tires, sound system, hid headlights, 1st gen fog light mod, tinted tails hella 500s on custom light bar, dust light, led white guages/dash lights, color matched grille, exhuast, blacked bumper and accents....

allright i got it somewhat better so well see how it holds up it was about 90 degress today so they shoiuld cure well thanks alot man

Products Discussed in

To Top