Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Upgrade to Tundra brakes

Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Upgrade to Tundra brakes

I have read quite a bit about this on TTORA, but wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience with upgrading the front brakes of a first gen Tacoma with Tundra rotors and calipers.

The brakes on my truck work fine, but I never really liked the stopping power of them, even more so with heavier wheels and tires. I have upgraded to EBC slotted rotors and pads as well as Goodridge braided lines. Just thinking of taking the next step as an interesting small project.

I have found mention of it on the forum, but nothing substantial. As TW has a somewhat different minded membership than TTORA, I thought it would be good to get opinions over here.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
I've been pondering this same exact mod... I'm curious as well!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to change the brakes on the 2nd. Gen... Kinda made me nervous when I test drove it; The brake is much less responsive than what I had been used to...
Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know anything about 2nd gen upgrades.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would love to change the brakes on the 2nd. Gen... Kinda made me nervous when I test drove it; The brake is much less responsive than what I had been used to...
I would look into a different rotor/pad combo and braided lines. The second gen caliper is pretty good since not many vehicles come with a four piston unit.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
a few of the guys on CT converted to tundra brakes on their 1st gens and they loved the stopping power...

i want to say they had to upsize to 17" wheels to clear the calipers, but dont quote me on that...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #7

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
a few of the guys on CT converted to tundra brakes on their 1st gens and they loved the stopping power...

i want to say they had to upsize to 17" wheels to clear the calipers, but dont quote me on that...
From what I gather, it depends on what calipers you use. Some of the newer calipers are thicker and require the bigger wheels, the thinner ones should fit behind 16" wheels.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
i think that would be nice. and i already have 18's come on somebody on here has to know a little more about it
Old 02-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #11

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
this mod write up is from 2006 on CT... info should still be pretty valid...

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...ake+conversion
Thanks Mike, I read Argon's write up on TTORA, shame that the pics aren't still up. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty soon I'll be doing the Tundra brake conversion. I will probably get slotted rotors with 13WE calipers from the early Tundras and not the 13WL(post TSB) from the later Tundras, only because I'm not 100% sure if it will fit. I know the brake feel is firmer and better with the 13WL calipers and they also use larger pads.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #13

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaWRX View Post
Pretty soon I'll be doing the Tundra brake conversion. I will probably get slotted rotors with 13WE calipers from the early Tundras and not the 13WL(post TSB) from the later Tundras, only because I'm not 100% sure if it will fit. I know the brake feel is firmer and better with the 13WL calipers and they also use larger pads.
Rumor has it that one can use the 13WL with some grinding of the caliper, but I don't think that I would want to get involved with that. Let me know how you make out with the conversion..
Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #14

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
ANyone else?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Rumor has it that one can use the 13WL with some grinding of the caliper, but I don't think that I would want to get involved with that. Let me know how you make out with the conversion..
Will do, I'll try and take pics. If that's the case with the 13WL caliper, then I will definitely be getting the 13WE, plus it's cheaper and the pads are cheaper.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
Dave
OSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant futureOSUjake has a brilliant future
Army: COMBAT VET, VIET NAM, 25th DIV & 1st AIR CAV DIV, 4th Bat, 9th Inf, ALFA CO, 1st Platoon (MANCHU).
Name: DAVE
OSUjake's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra brakes

I just had my 02 Taco done with the 01 TUNDRA V8 4X4 rotors, calipers and pads. Don't have pictures yet, but just got them done today (4/23). 199mm S13WE DISC ITALIA brake calipers, DISC ITALIA 12.5” drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I did get the powder coated calipers, which was extra, but it sure looks sweet. Larger rotors, larger pistons. This is one mod that I'm very happy with.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUjake View Post
I just had my 02 Taco done with the 01 TUNDRA V8 4X4 rotors, calipers and pads. Don't have pictures yet, but just got them done today (4/23). 199mm S13WE DISC ITALIA brake calipers, DISC ITALIA 12.5” drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I did get the powder coated calipers, which was extra, but it sure looks sweet. Larger rotors, larger pistons. This is one mod that I'm very happy with.
What size wheels do you have. WE NEED PICS! lol
Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #18
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like 16s in his gallery if he is still running the same wheels. Definatly i mod i want to do. We definatly need pics and were did you get the parts. How much did all the parts run if you dont mind me asking.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #20
Proud Tundra *****
oofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
oofy15354's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed