Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

May I see some rusted frame pics?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
xSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura about

Name: Caleb
xSpyderguyx's Tacoma Gallery
May I see some rusted frame pics?

Hey guys, I was just wondering where I should look on my 2001 tacoma for frame rust? I looked but didnt see any rust but I wasnt sure where to look!

Thanks guys
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
You could do the hammer test.... or try looking on the Inside of the frame, bc thats where the rust will start. And the hammer test is where you just tap your frame with a hammer.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
The place the rust will show up first in on the inside of the frame rails just forward of the front spring mounts for the rear springs. The frames rust from the inside-out at that point. I bought a 97 a couple years ago after visually inspecting the frame and finding only a little surface rust here and there. When I got home and did a more thorough inspection I found a little flaking on the inside of the left frame rail, just where I indicated above. That area was blocked by the gas tank during my initial visual inspection. I reached under and felt the frame rail and found some flaking, so I grabbed the frame rail and applied hard hand pressure on the inside of the frame. It crushed in my hand. Literally.

Luckily the guy hadn't yet cashed my check and I stopped payment. I returned it to him. He was honest and didn't know about the rust and took the pickup back without a problem. Shortly after that was when Toyota came out with their replace/repair/buyout policy.

I bought the 2000 I currently have shortly after and it passed Toyota's inspection in 2007. Last week I noticed the left frame rail has started to rust through right in that same spot. Looks like I'll be talking to Toyota soon.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Tic Taco is on a distinguished road
Tic Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

2002 Tacoma Ext. cab.
90,000 miles

Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you may. Thank you for your excellent grammar.

Although I have no idea why you needed my permission.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tic Taco View Post
2002 Tacoma Ext. cab.
90,000 miles

purple truck? eh.. not much of a loss I guess...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Tic Taco is on a distinguished road
Tic Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
purple truck? eh.. not much of a loss I guess...
Wrong, not "purple", its a factory red