Notices

No oil on dip stick

Old 02-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
smbass is on a distinguished road
Name: Marty
smbass's Tacoma Gallery
Question No oil on dip stick

Changed the oil and filter on my 02 tacoma today. Buttoned everything
up / added 5 qts. and still after 3 hrs. no reading on dip stick.
No oil light on. Yes, the garage floor is dry.
Any ideas on why the dip stick is not registering.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
The 3.4L V6 takes 5.5 quarts.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
smbass is on a distinguished road
Name: Marty
smbass's Tacoma Gallery
takes 5.5

Thanks Steve O 77 but I always wait after using the BIG jug with
5 qts. and then add the last with the little jug once I get a reading.
5 qts should read on the stick don't you think.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Im not really sure. I never checked it at 5. Maybe someone else knows better than me. Im pretty sure when it is at the low mark, that means 1 quart will put it at the full mark. At 5.5, mine is perfectly in between the two marks.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Put the other 1/2 quart in, and see what ya have then.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
I know sometimes if you buy the big jugs form a parts store they are 4 quarts and the big jugs from walmart are 5 quarts. (IDK why)

But ya I'd just put some more oil in it HAHA

Good Luck
Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
The 3.4L V6 takes 5.5 quarts.
Hmm...I always put in 5 qts and it shows in the middle of min and max. Do you think that mine is a "pre" thing...I wonder why yours would take a half qt more to register middle.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
in the 3.4 you won't see it on the dipstick until you add that last 1/2 quart
Old 02-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith747 View Post
Hmm...I always put in 5 qts and it shows in the middle of min and max. Do you think that mine is a "pre" thing...I wonder why yours would take a half qt more to register middle.
is that with a filter change too?
And do you change your oil with he engine warm or cold?
if your doing it with the engine cold your probably not getting all of the oil out.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
if your doing it with the engine cold your probably not getting all of the oil out.
Filter Change: Always.
Engine Temp: Warm (especially warm when it gets on my arm as I'm unscrewing the filter...a problem fixed with placement of the 2nd gens). Dishwashing gloves help, when I remember.

I changed it last weekend, and checked again after driving...still mid-line.

Always been 5 qts for me (approx. 54,000 miles; > 15 oil changes).
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #11

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
weird, I just did mine like 2 weeks ago and i had nothing on the stick at 5 quarts
Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
monster taco in the snow
pdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud of

Name: coty
pdxwhiteout's Tacoma Gallery
will take atleast 5.5 with the filter change. just keep slowing adding and checking till its right. and yes its ABOUT 1qt from the bottom line to the full line.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
humtaco is on a distinguished road
humtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
That's something I've pondered a bit and I'm guessing that a bit more oil will drain out when the engine is cold unless it's in very frigid conditions because the oil has had hours to run back into the pan.

More guessing - the main reason for warming up the engine is to be sure everything has a good coat of oil on it for the brief moments of no oil pressure when first starting an engine after an oil change - especially when the filter is replaced.

Seems weird to me that 5 qts won't show on the dip stick though.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by humtaco View Post
That's something I've pondered a bit and I'm guessing that a bit more oil will drain out when the engine is cold unless it's in very frigid conditions because the oil has had hours to run back into the pan.

More guessing - the main reason for warming up the engine is to be sure everything has a good coat of oil on it for the brief moments of no oil pressure when first starting an engine after an oil change - especially when the filter is replaced.

Seems weird to me that 5 qts won't show on the dip stick though.

The reason for changing the oil with the truck warmed up, is so all the contaminants are suspended in the oil, and come out. Also, as the oil is warm, is flows out more readilly, than when cold.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #15

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The reason for changing the oil with the truck warmed up, is so all the contaminants are suspended in the oil, and come out. Also, as the oil is warm, is flows out more readilly, than when cold.
x2
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
humtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
For arguments sake aren't those suspended contaminants still hanging out in oil passages, rod and main bearings for quite a while after you shut the engine off?

Instead, why not allow all the suspended contaminants in a hot engine drain to the oil pan while the truck sits for several hours or overnight? The majority of the contaminants would now be in the pan, warm the damn pan with a torch, drain the oil and the greatest majority of oil with contaminants will drain out.

For the record, I drain my oil after the engine has been warmed up like everyone else.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
2004Taco will become famous soon enough

2004Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2004Taco Send a message via Yahoo to 2004Taco
LOL fail!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
humtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004Taco View Post
LOL fail!
Don't underestimate the effects of time and gravity
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by humtaco View Post
For arguments sake aren't those suspended contaminants still hanging out in oil passages, rod and main bearings for quite a while after you shut the engine off?

Instead, why not allow all the suspended contaminants in a hot engine drain to the oil pan while the truck sits for several hours or overnight? The majority of the contaminants would now be in the pan, warm the damn pan with a torch, drain the oil and the greatest majority of oil with contaminants will drain out.

For the record, I drain my oil after the engine has been warmed up like everyone else.

The Cycle of the engine oil is as follows:

It starts in the pan, dirty from the last pass. From the pan, it goes to the filter, at which point the damaging particles are filtered out. Then it goes to the Crank, main bearings, guids, valves, etc., picking up the crap, and ending back at the pan. By witing until the engine is cold, the crap that was once suspended in the oil, has now settled down at the bottom of the pan. Metal being heavier than the oil. When draining the cold oil, you only get the contaminants that the oil puls out along with it, leaving the heavier stuff still at the bottom of the pan. With it warmed, the circulation of the oil, keeps these particles suspended, allowing the majority of them to be carried out with the oil, when the engine is drained warm/hot. I personally, only let my engine sit a couple mins. before I pull the oil pan plug, and let it drain.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #20
Visegripmech is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Visegripmech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
With it warmed, the circulation of the oil, keeps these particles suspended, allowing the majority of them to be carried out with the oil, when the engine is drained warm/hot.
Or, if you have time, pull drain plug while hot and leave out over night.

Sounds kinda dumb now that I'm typing it. Well, there it is.