Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power steering leak

Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Power steering leak

I think I've got a power steering fluid leak. A few weeks ago I heard a loud groaning noise when I would turn the wheel. I filled the ps fluid and it was quiet again. About 12 days later it was groaning again, and now I've been filling it every 8-12 days.
I haven't seen any dripping/puddles (leaking too slow I guess) and I'm not sure what areas or parts to be checking. Any advice?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
check the power steering rack at the boots, and the pump.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Well crap. I guess it's obvious now that I have a leak. It's hard to tell the exact location but it looks like it's coming from the boot? Up close it looks like it's cracking. As I've stated in the past, I'm kinda retarded when it comes to vehicle maintenance. Is this something I could do myself, or does it have to go to the mechanic?
Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
is there black paint all over the bottom of your truck?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Well crap. I guess it's obvious now that I have a leak. It's hard to tell the exact location but it looks like it's coming from the boot? Up close it looks like it's cracking. As I've stated in the past, I'm kinda retarded when it comes to vehicle maintenance. Is this something I could do myself, or does it have to go to the mechanic?
Thanks
The boot is just a Dust cover. You have a leak from the rack seal.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
cordillera is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
cordillera's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having that same problem on a '03. Here's the thread,

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ing-issue.html

I was quoted 900 for fixing the rack (bummer)...

Has anyone experienced power steering pump problems consistently on their Tacos?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Zac is on a distinguished road
Name: Zac
Zac's Tacoma Gallery
im trying to replace my powersteering pump right now as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordillera View Post
I'm having that same problem on a '03. Here's the thread,

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ing-issue.html

I was quoted 900 for fixing the rack (bummer)...

Has anyone experienced power steering pump problems consistently on their Tacos?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #9

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I took a closer look the other day and apparently the return hose that connected to the steering rack was cracked and leaking pretty bad. $2.75 for a new hose. yay!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #10

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
is there black paint all over the bottom of your truck?
I have no idea what that stuff is...
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordillera View Post

my taco has power steering?

mines a real bitch when it warms up but first thing in the morning its great
i need to get around to fixin that
Old 03-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
$900.00 to replace the steering rack? Man, I'm in the wrong business!!