Notices

Cold air intake 1st gen

Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Texas Taco
doodle66 is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
doodle66's Tacoma Gallery
Prototype Cold air intake 1st gen

This is my first try at a functional cold air intake on 1st gen that will actually work. This is not easy being that space is non existant. My take on getting cold air to the intake is, using the stock fender port as an exit vent, force as much cold air through the box as possible keeping the air temp. as low as possible, letting the intake pull what it needs to. at least it will be colder than compartment air. I will put a simple hatchet valve up by the air box for wet conditions, defaulting back to stock fender inlet. I wanted the scoop higher, but not enough room for the parts i had. eventually i want to move it to the top of the grill. This is primitive for now, but i will have a final system that is all one material. This was done without cutting anything. I found 2 factory bolt holes to use. I used 2'' round and ovalized automotive intake tubing. The scoop was off of a mid 90's car. I still need to finish plumbing the air box, kinda wish i had not done the deckplate mod it would have made this easier. I can always buy another box if i need to. I am also going to measure temp with all options open and closed to see what the temp inside the box is. If you got ideas i'm listening. more pics of finished product at the bottom of page.
Attached Thumbnails
Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0744.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0731.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0740.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0741.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0736.jpg  

Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I really think that with those crazy angles, the air will be cooler, by it's not gona be able to get enough air.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Texas Taco
Remember the stock fender inlet is always open
Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I do not have a 1st gen to see, but is there any way that you could get rid of the turn under the frame? If that wasnt there im sure it could get enough air.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Texas Taco
i may do a wider scoop, but the bottom part of the cowl where the scoop is, allows all the air to the bottom half of thr radiator and condensor. i dont want to impead the airflow to them. there is no place to take a straight line to the airbox, not even close without a lot of cutting.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle66 View Post
i may do a wider scoop, but the bottom part of the cowl where the scoop is, allows all the air to the bottom half of thr radiator and condensor. i dont want to impead the airflow to them. there is no place to take a straight line to the airbox, not even close without a lot of cutting.
just take out the passenger head light you dont need it then put a deck plate in and then you will have plenty of air flow
Old 02-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Texas Taco
hell yeah!!! i should have thought of that.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Vectorit is on a distinguished road
Vectorit's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work, and I like it.
Just a suggestion though, I'd put a drain hole at that low elbow for water getting sucked in from the inlet.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
the deckplate mod is probably still superior, the air comes from around the headlight and straight into the air box, not having enough time to heat up.
people do the 'elbow mod" which is just getting rid of the L bow in the stock air inlet, you have created a U which is even worse, PLUS an L. and I'm sure there is another L to get the air into the air box. which is MUCH worse than stock.

the stock air box is essentially a "cold air intake" as the air comes from outside the engine bay where the air is cooler.
but, report back and let us know, any chance you can get to a dyno?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
just take out the passenger head light you dont need it then put a deck plate in and then you will have plenty of air flow
Thats what i thought about doing the other day lol. Don't drag cars run like that?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Texas Taco
This morning when going to get more parts, i tried something on this intake. i put my shop vac hose on my open outlet next to air box, (in pic) ran it out the side of the hood and in my passenger window. i dummy locked the hood and drove at 25 mph. wow!!!!! massive amount of air from the scoop all the way through the bends and through the hose to the passenger side window. there is now way this could not be enough air for that v-6. and no matter how u cut it with the deckplate open your gonna get very hot compartment air in the summer, at least here in tx. where sitting at a light, thr compartment air has got to be around 300 or more. this is gonna work guys i'll bet on it. should finish today. remember i have about 25 bucks in this so far.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle66 View Post
This morning when going to get more parts, i tried something on this intake. i put my shop vac hose on my open outlet next to air box, (in pic) ran it out the side of the hood and in my passenger window. i dummy locked the hood and drove at 25 mph. wow!!!!! massive amount of air from the scoop all the way through the bends and through the hose to the passenger side window. there is now way this could not be enough air for that v-6. and no matter how u cut it with the deckplate open your gonna get very hot compartment air in the summer, at least here in tx. where sitting at a light, thr compartment air has got to be around 300 or more. this is gonna work guys i'll bet on it. should finish today. remember i have about 25 bucks in this so far.
Cool. hows it gonna hold up in the rain?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhiteTaco View Post
Thats what i thought about doing the other day lol. Don't drag cars run like that?
ive seen some diesel trucks do that.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
Texas Taco
i'll be posting the finished pics in about an hour. this scoop moves a massive amount of air. yhere is no way the stock elbow or deckplate alone is gonna do what this does. if you want to cut out a little half moon on the inside edge of the headlight you can use a little 2" flex to get to the grill. this will do well because it is a straight shot to the deckplate, but rain will be a problem at high speed. i wont have an issue with rain because of the amount of drop and rise in mine. i was wondering if mine would get enough air because of the bends, no sweat, you can dry your hair with all the air i got now. throttle response is great, and pulling hills and towing my trailor seems to take less pedal. it was cheap, and it works, im happy for now. soon i am going to bend and ovalize muffler pipe to follow my path, this was just a prototype to see if it would work. when i get completly done it will be free of any flaws and tabs for factory bolt holes. should be about 4 or 5 pcs total, and all metal just not sure what kind. then it will be for sale.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Texas Taco
Finally a cold air answer 1st gen.

Got the prototype done. Its not pretty, but man does it move some air. I dont know about all this forum stuff. You guys can can cut me a little slack if the postings are done wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0751.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0745.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0746.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0749.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0747.jpg  

Old 02-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #17
Texas Taco
more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0752.jpg   Cold air intake 1st gen-img_0755.jpg