1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light Mod.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2004Taco, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    SunDevilTacoma

SunDevilTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Wht Double Cab PreRunner
    Turn signal relocation, built in fog light conversion, 4" deck plate
    yes to eliminating the lower blinkers and using the corners for both parking and turn signals. so class, now that we have that established, this is how i wired them. :D

1. i removed the old parking light assembly by peeling back the protective cover a few inches then cut the wires right at the socket. then i strpped them and prepped for connecting.

2. i put the new 1157 bulb in the new socket. i put a quick connect on the ground wire (white) and connected it to the new socket tab. then i took the PARKING light hot wire (green) and connected it one at a time to each of the black wires on the socket. whichever black wire i connected to that caused the bulb to burn brightest would be the turn signal wire, so after determining that i marked the wire w/yellow electrical tape.

3. i took about a 3' length of wire and connected it to the PARKING light hot wire (green) and ran it down to the lower turn signal assembly. *NOTE - when making this connection put both of these wires into the same end of the connector. you'll need the other end to connect to the new socket.*

4. down at the lower turn signal assembly i peeled back several inches of the protective cover and cut only the hot (green) wire going to the socket. make sure you don't cut too close to the socket!! then i trimmed to length, stripped, and connected the wire i ran down from the PARKING light hot (green) wire. the soon to be fog light is now connected and i tested to be sure everything works.

5. now i take another length of wire and connect it to the lower turn signal hot (green) wire and run it up to the parking light area. i then connect it to the turn signal wire marked w/yellow electrical tape on the new socket. connect the ground and test. good, everything works.

6. finally i connect the PARKING light wire to the other wire on the new socket and test. everything works - corner parking lights and new fog lights.

that's how i did it. hopefully this helps! i saw afterward i didn't have to go down to the lower turn signel to access its hot wire, but hey mine still works!

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    SunDevilTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    OK!!! :D That or beer. I like Miller High Life Light, btw. :cheers:

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:33 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Ah yes, High Life Light . . . I respect a man with class! I'm also partial to the (light) champagne of beers. Thank you for taking the time to detail this out.:bowdown:

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 4:46 AM
    SunDevilTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Did it help?

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    Fuzzyman81

Fuzzyman81 The New Guy

Member:
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD

So you replaced the entire socket in the corner lights (non - bumper) ? Does the 1157 fit sungly? Is there a reason you changed the socket? Also did you use special bulbs (led or anything) or just or run of the mill Amber / clear bulbs?

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    SunDevilTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the entire socket needs to be replaced in order to accomodate a dual filament bulb, the 1157. The new socket will fit snugly if you don't enlarge the hole too much. I used just ordinary bulbs - clear 1157 for the corner/trun signal combo and clear 4157 for the fogs. The link below will help explain things too.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tacoma_turn_signal/

It may be confusing when you first read it but after about 20x, slowly, it makes sense. :D

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    ace_mechanic71

ace_mechanic71 New Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ 85730
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma sr5 4wd supercharged
    re-wire locker button, the fog/turn light mod, short shifter, aftermarket wheels, optima batt.
    Thanks, worked as advertised. Tip, for anyone doing this, its easier if you just slice the tape on the loom instead of trying to untape it.

8. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Yes. I won't be doing the mod until this weekend, but with your explanation I completely understand what needs to be done.

9. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    SunDevilTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Great! Get some pics up when you do!

10. Mar 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    doing this tonight i hope it works ha

11. Mar 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    this was the biggest waste of 5 hours. its almost impossible to fit shit down to those wires. i cut one of them and couldnt figure anything out so i put it back together. ill get this one done professionally.

12. Mar 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
  13. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    bgdeer1

bgdeer1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    wow everyone makes this mod so difficult than it really is!! pop ur hood, unscrew the head light screws/nuts whatever. Pull the headlight off, let it dangle if you want or dont feel comfortable, disconnect the terminal from the headlight its self and lay the light to the side, now you have room to work. The wire you disconnected from the headlight is one set of the wires you will be cutting! the other set should be close to that set but runs south twoards what is currently your turn signal. dont be scared give the 2 sets of wires a nice tug and see if you can get slack so you can actually get the job done and not have it be a cluster fuck trying to work with fat fingers in a small spot... it sucks. So give them a tug get some slack. The outside is a plastic that covers the wires to keep them protected. They should have a slit right down the middle, you should be able to pull it apart and see the wires hidden inside =D!!!! woo! do that for both. Get the Green wires in plain view. You should see 2!!!! green wires one for the head light, one for the turn signal. Cut both of them to make it 4 green wires 2 wires to begin with 4 green to end =D 2+2=4 Now that you cut the greens all you do now is take your green wire that ran to your headlight and instead of putting it back to the headlight how it normally was wire it to the other set of wires which is now going to be the fog! tape it use crimps w/e your heart desires. wire it tape and do the same for the other one. tape and stuff the wires back inside. take your headlight wires connect the headlight back in. place the light back in screw it down and move on to the next headlight!! is there any ?'s or anything that some people dont really understand that i can clarify

14. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    bgdeer1

bgdeer1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    now that i read that its like wtf is he talking about.. lol ill fix this.

- Pop hood
    - Unscrew your headlight
    - Pull headlight out of fitting
    - Disconnect headlight, lay it to the side
    - You will see 2 sets of wires one that ran to your head light and one that runs to what is now the turn signals.
    - You need to give them a tug.. get some slack to work with
    - The wires should lay inside a plastic tube type deal, peal the turn away to expose the green wires
    - 2 green wires, one for head light and (current) turn signal, Cut them both
    - Take the green then you just cut that went to the headlight and connect it to the other green that went to the turnsignal.
    - Crimp, Tape, glue (prolly not, but have seen it) Duct tape whatever. Crimp would be the best IMO.
    -Now take the only 2 green wires that arent connected and conncect that.
    - Tape, crimp cool
    - Tuck them back inside
    - Reconncect headlight
    - Put back in place.
    - Tighten down.
    - Do other side SAME WAY!

15. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Yes, you're right - what you (sort of) described is very simple, but all it does is switch the function of the corner lights (not headlights) and the signal lights. What the discussion turned to, and what is described in my writeup is a way to have both the upper corner lights and lower signal lights operate solid when the lights are on (looks much better), and the corners pull double-duty as turn signals. It's still not very difficult, but can be a challenge to describe with just text. It involves slightly more wiring and modifying the corner light to accept an aftermarket dual filament socket & light.

16. Jul 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    do the fog lights (that used to be the signal lights) come on automatically after you finish this mod? or do you need to get a switch?

17. Jul 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    The fogs will come on with the parking lights; your corner lamps become your blinkers.

18. Jul 5, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    No additional switches necessary, unless you want to do some extra work and make the new fog lights (formerly signal indicators) operate independently, then you could wire a switch in. Doing what's described in the mod will make the new fog lights and the upper corner lights come on with with the stock switch. The upper corner lights will now pull double duty and stay solid until you signal, at that point they'll blink.

19. Aug 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM
    ccoliver09

ccoliver09 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    California
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma PreRunner
    CB Radio Tow Hitch Fog Light Mod Deck Plate Mod
    So I just Did the mod and found out how easy it was. The only hard part was trying to get the damn tape/protective covering off.

DSC00415.jpg
    DSC00421.jpg

20. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    00taco

00taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    cali
    Vehicle:
    black 00 tacoma v6
    wheels, tires, sound system, hid headlights, 1st gen fog light mod, tinted tails hella 500s on custom light bar, dust light, led white guages/dash lights, color matched grille, exhuast, blacked bumper and accents....
    on ebay they have clear binker lenses for around $25 then they would look like foglights

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top