Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New owner with Questions

Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
holen1 is on a distinguished road
holen1's Tacoma Gallery
New owner with Questions

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 2004 Toyota Tacoma /double cab with 45k miles. I've never owned a truck before so there are some questions I have for you guys.

First is the ride quality, not sure if i have to replace the shocks, but when I hit a bump or a pot hole....it feels like the shocks are dead. Like I said, I have never own a truck, so I really don't know if this is normal.

Second, when ever I come to a stop, it feels like a bump or jerk after the before the truck stops completely. I didn't notice it when I test drove the truck. Now that I have been driving it for two days, it's annoying the hell out me. Please help.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
the soft spring rate up front is the main reason i swiched to an aftermarket coilover. if you move up to a 650# spring it will take care of the squishy front end.

the "clunk" you're feeling in the rear is likely due to axle wrap. ...i replaced my rear leaf packs with a custom pack from Alcan. ..haven't noticed any axle wrap since.

in my opinion, to make these trucks ride the way i think they are supposed to ride, replacing the stock suspension is the only way to go. ..i was very dissapointed with it in stock form.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
holen1's Tacoma Gallery
Will this address the bump when coming to a stop or the suspension issue. Also can you recommend some good brand of springs.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
yes. ..that will minimize the bump you're feeling when you come to a stop.

i would suggest going to http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ and browsing around.

most people go with either deaver or alcan rear springs. ..both make excellent springs. if you're buying off the shelf (not getting a custom pack) i prefer the alcan springs as they arch the drivers side spring a little more to account for the extra weight on that side. i don't think deaver does that on their off-the-shelf springs. this was very important to me as i HATE the taco lean. ...toyota really dropped the ball by putting the battery, gas tank, and driver all on the same side.

here's another option for addressing axle wrap ....

http://www.budbuilt.com/new/traction_bars.html
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
BurritoJimmyFan is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
BurritoJimmyFan's Tacoma Gallery
congrats on the purchase. That's pretty low miles for an 04. I think all you need is new shocks. It will greatly improve the ride. IMO, the factory shocks are junk. I've had good experiences with the Bilstein heavy duty and the 5100.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
monster taco in the snow
pdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud ofpdxwhiteout has much to be proud of

Name: coty
pdxwhiteout's Tacoma Gallery
yep most likely the struts but before your spend the money make sure to check your ball joints. very common on out style taco. just replaced mine recently, they where destroyed. the uppers that is. good buy buy though, work out the bugs and you got a great truck for a long time to come welcome to tw!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
holen1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all for the reply,

After spend more time reading the forums, I might just get a whole new suspension kit.

I was thinking of going with the OME kit from toyotec.com. It's a pretty popular brand from some of the members here.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Add-a-leaf on the rear and lube your truck...save yourself some $. RE the budbuilt option...not worth it IMO...I did it and I don't regret it bc it works, but I can think of other stuff I'd rather spend my $ on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by holen1 View Post
Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 2004 Toyota Tacoma /double cab with 45k miles. I've never owned a truck before so there are some questions I have for you guys.

First is the ride quality, not sure if i have to replace the shocks, but when I hit a bump or a pot hole....it feels like the shocks are dead. Like I said, I have never own a truck, so I really don't know if this is normal.

Second, when ever I come to a stop, it feels like a bump or jerk after the before the truck stops completely. I didn't notice it when I test drove the truck. Now that I have been driving it for two days, it's annoying the hell out me. Please help.
I also just bought my 1st gen

I have the same issue with the jerking. its axle wrap. check your leaf springs. if they are flat like pancakes, this is your problem. I know mine are flat. the best route is a new leaf pack from wheeleroffroad.

do not do an AAL. it will ride like shit. that is the cheaper way, but spend the extra money and do it right. go with a new leaf pack
Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurritoJimmyFan View Post
congrats on the purchase. That's pretty low miles for an 04. I think all you need is new shocks. It will greatly improve the ride. IMO, the factory shocks are junk. I've had good experiences with the Bilstein heavy duty and the 5100.
x2 the stock shocks are worthless.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
holen1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prerunner View Post
I also just bought my 1st gen

I have the same issue with the jerking. its axle wrap. check your leaf springs. if they are flat like pancakes, this is your problem. I know mine are flat. the best route is a new leaf pack from wheeleroffroad.

do not do an AAL. it will ride like shit. that is the cheaper way, but spend the extra money and do it right. go with a new leaf pack

Yea the little jerk is the most annoying thing about the truck. Thanks, I will look at this option also.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
x2 the stock shocks are worthless.
The stock shocks are bilsteins. Far from worthless.....
Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
chmura is on a distinguished road
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
yes. ..that will minimize the bump you're feeling when you come to a stop.

i would suggest going to http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ and browsing around.

most people go with either deaver or alcan rear springs. ..both make excellent springs. if you're buying off the shelf (not getting a custom pack) i prefer the alcan springs as they arch the drivers side spring a little more to account for the extra weight on that side. i don't think deaver does that on their off-the-shelf springs. this was very important to me as i HATE the taco lean. ...toyota really dropped the ball by putting the battery, gas tank, and driver all on the same side.

here's another option for addressing axle wrap ....

http://www.budbuilt.com/new/traction_bars.html

These rear leaf packs will change the height of the truck. What if the OP wants to stay at stock height with new packs?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
Well here's a question: Is axle wrap so bad? I have been driving my truck for 6 years and put 120K on it with said "Axle wrap" and no problems whatsoever. The clunk doesn't bother me, certainly doesn;t bother me enough to drop $500.00 to get rid of it
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '98 with 130K on it and have never experienced "axle wrap." I have no idea what it is
Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I have a '98 with 130K on it and have never experienced "axle wrap." I have no idea what it is
It's no big deal. Slight clunk every now and then. If it was a big deal I doubt I could have driven it for 6 years and 120K
Old 05-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea the little jerk is the most annoying thing about the truck. Thanks, I will look at this option also.
The other extremeley cheap thing you can do to help reduce the annoying thunk is make sure the slip yoke on the rear drive shaft is properly lubed up. If it is dry, the shaft can bind up a bit when the axle twists when braking to a stop or when pulling away in first. Chances are, the whole driveline is due for a good greasing. I think it is recommended evey 15K. Relatively easy DIY if you have the grease guns, grease, and don't mind rolling around under your truck. This is a great way to familiarize yourself with it and inspect it.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome holen1. Looks like you will have your hands full soon with upgrades - time for a mod day in Philly.

Let me know if you need help. I have a feeling that I will need to replace my suspension shortly. I noticed that my rear leaf springs look rather flat. I will submit pics and let those with more knowledge let me know.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlittle View Post
Welcome holen1. Looks like you will have your hands full soon with upgrades - time for a mod day in Philly.

Let me know if you need help. I have a feeling that I will need to replace my suspension shortly. I noticed that my rear leaf springs look rather flat. I will submit pics and let those with more knowledge let me know.
Quote:
Thanks all for the reply,

After spend more time reading the forums, I might just get a whole new suspension kit.

I was thinking of going with the OME kit from toyotec.com. It's a pretty popular brand from some of the members here.

If you guys want some good reading and more links about spring stuff (with pics), check out our recent Wheeler's group buy (maybe you have already seen this). It is now closed, but that doesn't mean you couldn't pull together another one if YotaDan is up for it...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...placement.html

From what I have discovered, it is pretty freaking hard to find any leaf springs that are better/stronger but don't lift at least a little. I didn't want to lift, I just wanted a vehicle with safe, comfortable, and predictable handling--something the stock suspension with 100K miles can not deliver.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #20
chmura is on a distinguished road
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
From what I have discovered, it is pretty freaking hard to find any leaf springs that are better/stronger but don't lift at least a little. I didn't want to lift, I just wanted a vehicle with safe, comfortable, and predictable handling--something the stock suspension with 100K miles can not deliver.
So what leaf springs did you end up buying?

Products Discussed in this Thread