Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Really, really simple question from a newbie

Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
jermanjaysfan is on a distinguished road
jermanjaysfan's Tacoma Gallery
Really, really simple question from a newbie

Hey guys,

Just bought a used '03 PreRunner from my uncle. Quite a few miles on it but it runs like a dream.

The other day, I filled up with gas. Shortly after getting on the highway (~1 min after the fillup), I noticed the check engine light come on. Naturally, I figured I hadn't tightened the cap correctly. I took care of this, but the light stayed on. Consulting the manual tells me that this should reset after a few trips. So I continued on my merry way.

Now a week after this incident, I haven't noticed any issues. No funny noises, nothing. But the light is still there. Oil level is fine.

So, I'm ready to forget about the thing. But I figured I should probably check to see if everything is good in terms of oil pressure. Logic: if the oil is topped up fine, and the oil is flowing, then I don't think there is any immediate danger.

Long story short- can anyone advise me as to how I should go about checking the pressure?

Thanks a bundle!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
go to your local auto store and they can usually check the code for you. make sure you know the problem
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
unhook your battery for a few mins, if it comes back on you have another problem.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I should add that the truck has gone ~120 miles since the light, so I imagine anything serious would have presented itself.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
aka Tg
t33gee is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to t33gee
hook her up to a scan tool and get the code. thats the beauty of obd2
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandercole View Post
go to your local auto store and they can usually check the code for you. make sure you know the problem
X2 , There are so many things that can cause a check engine light, go to AAmco transmission, they'll do it for free as well as some auto parts stores....
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
2004Taco will become famous soon enough

2004Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2004Taco Send a message via Yahoo to 2004Taco
Did you make sure you screwed your gas cap on until it clicks? That happen to me on my s-10 before. I'll I did was disconnect to battery. No more check engine light
Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
unhook your battery for a few mins, if it comes back on you have another problem.

this is the correct answer. take off the negative lead ..this will reset the computer. .... if the light returns, you can then go to the auto part store and have them pull the codes and tell you what the problem is.

it may just be a faulty gas cap. ..
Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Thanks for the replies guys. Got it scanned and turns out its just a faulty gas cap sensor. Phew.

I've got another one for you guys- just curious if any of you guys know what could happen if you overfill the oil (say by 1qt.).
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Name: Alex
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
haha well not sure what damage it will do.

but my buddy did something like like that before he was changing his oil and just changed the oil filter and didnt drain the pan, then put the new oil in.

the dumbass was wondering why the oil level was so high then he realized and had to drain out like 5qts and it made a really big mess. also when he drove the truck for about 5 miles he had a huge cloud of white smoke behind him.

but nothin happened to the truck still runs great till this day haha
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco505 View Post
haha well not sure what damage it will do.

but my buddy did something like like that before he was changing his oil and just changed the oil filter and didnt drain the pan, then put the new oil in.

the dumbass was wondering why the oil level was so high then he realized and had to drain out like 5qts and it made a really big mess. also when he drove the truck for about 5 miles he had a huge cloud of white smoke behind him.

but nothin happened to the truck still runs great till this day haha
I've heard of this happening to people at those quick oil change places. The shmucks at those places forget to drain the pan and dump 5 more quarts in and people leave driving around with 10qts of frothy oil.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
ToyoFF1274 is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
ToyoFF1274's Tacoma Gallery
To much oil could cause a increase in pressure in the crankcase possibly causing the seals to leak, Also if the level is above the bottom stroke of the pistons you will burn some oil causing the plugs to foul if its not fixed.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoFF1274 View Post
To much oil could cause a increase in pressure in the crankcase possibly causing the seals to leak, Also if the level is above the bottom stroke of the pistons you will burn some oil causing the plugs to foul if its not fixed.
See, this is essentially what I figured. I was just curious I guess as to where the line is where it starts causing problems. 1qt? 2qt?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #16
henrysethxiii is on a distinguished road
Name: Seth
henrysethxiii's Tacoma Gallery
It was probably the gas cap, but the code has to be cleared with a scan tool. Just had to do it with my moms Avalon.