Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

8 miles to the gallon, any ideas?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
kk1992 is on a distinguished road
kk1992's Tacoma Gallery
8 miles to the gallon, any ideas?

so im getting 8mpgs in my 1995 2.7. anyone have any ideas on why this might be? i know my cat is shot, but would this cause this drastic of a problem?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Tire size? gears? air filter? tire pressure? heavy foot mod?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
you running 50 inch tires?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Some questions; How long have you owned the truck? What was your normal MPG before the drop to 8? Is the problem short-lived (i.e. bad tank of gas)?

I wouldn't think the bad cat-con is causing it, but it's a possibility. All due respect, but have you looked into the obvious stuff (air filter, spark plugs & wires, brake clearance, parking brake, etc.)?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
MAF is bad bet you a cup of overpriced starbucks monkey jizz, w/coffee from south america
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
its probly a combo of like 10 different things giving you such terrible mpg(o2 sensors,maf, fuel filter,air filter,etc)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
you running 50 inch tires?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
isnt the o2 sensor the MAF???
Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx1000 View Post
isnt the o2 sensor the MAF???
Nope. The MAF is on your intake just after the airbox, and the O2 sensors are on the exhaust.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
what kind of miles are you getting to a tank..?

the v6 has a 16ish gallon tank...so you get 8mpg, by 16 gallons is 128 miles to a tank.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I would most def. geuss your o2 sensors! that would be my first change, then go from there.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:02 AM   #12
slickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really nice

Name: David
slickyd's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is the leaky gas tank mod.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:26 AM   #13
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
if you're getting 8 mpg, you must have a leak. ..i don't think the 2.7 is even capable of burning that ammount of fuel per mile.

how many miles are you getting per tank?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
herdnerd is on a distinguished road
herdnerd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
what kind of miles are you getting to a tank..?

the v6 has a 16ish gallon tank...so you get 8mpg, by 16 gallons is 128 miles to a tank.
Using tank size or miles per tank is an silly way to calculate mileage. What if I don't run the tank dry? What if I fill up when the gauge shows 1/2 tank?

Fill up the tank. Drive. Fill up tank. Divide miles driven by gallons needed to fill the tank. The math is not that hard.

kk1992: Sorry, I'm no help. I'm just tired of reading about miles per tank.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdnerd View Post
Using tank size or miles per tank is an silly way to calculate mileage. What if I don't run the tank dry? What if I fill up when the gauge shows 1/2 tank?

Fill up the tank. Drive. Fill up tank. Divide miles driven by gallons needed to fill the tank. The math is not that hard.

kk1992: Sorry, I'm no help. I'm just tired of reading about miles per tank.

what if i do? ..the math works just fine if you know how to account for the variables.

just playing da here. ....dividing miles driven by gallons needed is a better way to do it.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
kk1992's Tacoma Gallery
i just divided miles driven by gallons needed... and my MAF is good, my cat's literally shot, wells not literally, no bullet holes, but it the honecomb is all broken up inside of it. i just replaced my entire distributer because my old one went haywire and neither me, my dad, nor my auto teacher could figure it out and it was honestly just cheaper to buy the whole thing than put the truck in the shop. and im actually running 29" or 30" tires i can't remember which. i also don't have to bad of a lead foot at all. origionally i got about 17mpg on a good day, now 8 is my good day, i don't even have the heart to calculate the bad days.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
kk1992's Tacoma Gallery
oh and my air filter, fuel filter, and fuel pump are brand new. also my o2 sensors themselves are fine (we have a really fancy scanner tool in auto) i am just running insanely rich, even when the engine warms up im still blowing white smoke, and no im not burning oil, i have absolutely no clue why and it's really cutting into my wallet filling up 2-3 times a week for an hour round trip drive a day.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #18
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
maf, o2 sensor, injectors shot? and or throttle body
Old 03-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
slickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really nice

Name: David
slickyd's Tacoma Gallery
I had an Accord and I thought I would change the fuel filter to try to get better gas mileage but after I put the new one in I got worst mileage.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
kk1992's Tacoma Gallery
nope... no codes, and i know my MAF, injectors, and o2 sensors are good, they've all been gone over by both me and my auto teacher. also i spark plugs are good because every 2 weeks or so i have to take them out and clean them because they foul that quickly