1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Downshifting to slow down?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by oofy15354, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    dont coast ur truck in N (in an Auto) i just read the other day the oil pump for the trans work off the engine speed so if u doing high way speed and throw it in N trans is still moving and does not get enough oil. I dont know if its true but everything that was said made sense. if u want more info u would have to search it i did save the thread.

2. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    TGurau

TGurau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    3" OME Suspension lift. PEX motoring headlights.
    It's always better safe than sorry. You engine break for 160k miles and your tranny drops, you'll be sorry. You break normally and you change your pads, what's there to be sorry about? That's normal! I *try* to drive slow to conserve fuel, so I tend to put it in neutral and coast to the red light or off ramp (won't do that anymore because if the tranny oil, never thought of that). I'd rather change breaks than a tranny... Is anyone here that says otherwise SURE? Are you guys FOR SURE that this is safe to do on a regular basis? I understand dropping it a gear to go down steep hills that are miles long, but doing this often sounds bad for the stuff under the hood that really matter.

3. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Gumball

Gumball New Member

Member:
    If you are driving in the Rockies - say on I-70 very often and going very fast and don't use your transmission to control your speed, you could find yourself without breaks.

4. Apr 9, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    In my manual it suggest it. Toyota wouldn't suggest something that could hurt your truck.

5. Apr 17, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    OSUjake

OSUjake Dave

Member:
    First Name:
    DAVE
    KANSAS CITY, MO
    Vehicle:
    02 TACO TRD OFF ROAD SR5 4X4 EXT CAB STEPSIDE
    TOYTEC 3" ULTIMATE LIFT / BUD BUILT SKID PLATE / ATX ARTILLERY BLACK RIMS / FIRESTONE AT'S / RHINO BED LINER / KENWOOD RADIO - 4 5X7 SPEAKERS, BLUE TOOTH, XM / U-HAUL TRAILER HITCH / 01 TUNDRA FRONT BRAKES w/DISC ITALIA / BAK BEDRAILS & TAILGATE / BLACK BI-XENON HEADLIGHTS / NEW VALVE COVERS and TIMING BELT / DEBADGED.
    I would rather shift into neutral and stop. Brakes are allot cheaper than trans.... besides it should help on gas mileage !

6. Apr 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    guitarfisher

guitarfisher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    A balanced combination of foot braking and lower gear shifting (engine braking) is very effective for controlling speed when decending slopes or creeping through lower speed zones (e.g. school zones). I've been driving my cars and trucks - both auto and manual this way for years without problem. Just keep the tranny out of the red zone when downshifting!

7. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    03 2WD 2.4L Tacoma Reg Cab
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    I definitely click off the OD when slowing for offramps and when I want to slow down without brake lights. Sometimes you just have to.

I have put 100k on my truck driving this way, have drained and refilled my tranny twice and will be due for a refill in about 2500 mi. I also bypassed the cooler in the radiator, and mounted a cooler on the grill. If they didnt want it used, why would there be a switch?

I noticed it made a difference with the truck fully loaded with tools, or towing my beetle, that it worked better with the OD off, kept it from kicking down too much, especially up hills.

8. Apr 18, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    TGurau

TGurau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    3" OME Suspension lift. PEX motoring headlights.
    So U guys downshift, but do u stick it in neutral? I always thought that the tranny didn't do anything when it was in neutral, whether the vehicle is moving or not.

9. Apr 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 [OP] Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    well from what i gather, putting it in neutral is bad when moving at speed because oil is not being pumped in so the transmission can overheat

Products Discussed in

To Top