Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota 'Red' Long Life Coolant...

Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #21
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Red can be found at Carquest sometimes for $26.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Spend $25 and buy a gallon from your dealership. It's not that much money over the course of a coolant cycle, so don't go cheap

Could have said it any better. Why on earth would you some of you guys risk putting that cheap green garbage in your Tacoma just to save $20? I don't get it... Just drive to the dealership (I've never paid more than $27 at my local Toyota) and buy it and be done with it. It's not that hard really.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #23
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Could have said it any better. Why on earth would you some of you guys risk putting that cheap green garbage in your Tacoma just to save $20? I don't get it... Just drive to the dealership (I've never paid more than $27 at my local Toyota) and buy it and be done with it. It's not that hard really.
^^^^This^^^^Not like changing oil, you only have to do it every couple years. You only need one gallon, and 5 gallons distilled water. 4 for the flush and one to mix 50/50 for the final refill. The jug says the heater core and block hold 50% but that cant be. The whole system only holds 10 quarts for 5vz 4x4 per my manual. I probaly ended up 60% water, 40% coolant. You will have just enough to fill the resivor.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
Bahamayellow is on a distinguished road
Bahamayellow's Tacoma Gallery
I work at a auto parts store and I must say the Toyota antifreeze is on of the best on the market. It's real easy on parts compared to the other antifreezes. And we have a whole variety of them from American cars to European. Toyota antifreeze is one of most expensive and we have a lot of it on the shelf. Simply put no one comes in for it because there are hardly any problems. We can't seem to keep dexcool and European antifreeze in stock. Go figure.lol
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #25
toastyjosh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: helitack
toastyjosh's Tacoma Gallery
Dam I just looked and I have the green coolant that the previous owner put in.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Zerex makes the jap compatible stuff but hard to find at local parts place. I paid $40 a gallon at dealership for toy longlife.
I just bought and use Zerex 675130 Asian Vehicle Antifreeze / Coolant - Gallon for $15 at the local auto parts store. Stealership parts dept closed Sunday. Wonder if it's just as good as the $40 a gallon stuff you got ?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
To George 3 in the post above. Found this on the net to confuse things even more. Scroll down a bit in the link to get to the part on Toyota

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1698124
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #28
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
Also keep in mind that if you use a 50/50 premix, and you have flushed your sytem with (hopefully) distilled water, you will end up with less than a 50/50 mix unless your whole system is emptied of all liquids

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...84997&page=all

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...84997&page=all
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #29
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
To clarify my post above. If you drain the radiator and engine block completely, you should be able to get close to the 50/50 ratio. There is always a little fluid left in the system, but not enough to make a big difference.

I usually flush the whole system with distilled water and dont drain the engine block...in my case I add a certain amount of 100% coolant in order to arrive at the percentage mix I prefer.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #31
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In summary this is what it says:

"Toyota recommends Genuine Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant (factory red fluid) as the first choice when maintaining your vehicle. Toyota coolant was developed to meet the specific requirements of our engines and provides maximum protection without the use of harmful silicates. Silicates, a main ingredient in the vast majority of antifreeze coolants, can actually damage the water pump seal, causing leakage. Our coolant is a high-performance, non-silicate coolant that provides better protection for metals without deterioration of the water pump seal."

In other words, phosphates are used and Toyota water pumps are not compatible with silicates.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
In summary this is what it says:

"Toyota recommends Genuine Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant (factory red fluid) as the first choice when maintaining your vehicle. Toyota coolant was developed to meet the specific requirements of our engines and provides maximum protection without the use of harmful silicates. Silicates, a main ingredient in the vast majority of antifreeze coolants, can actually damage the water pump seal, causing leakage. Our coolant is a high-performance, non-silicate coolant that provides better protection for metals without deterioration of the water pump seal."

In other words, phosphates are used and Toyota water pumps are not compatible with silicates.
Thanks. The Asian says phosphated HOAT technology - silicate and borate free
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, my coolant is yellow. Is this some kind of special stuff or is it just a generic kind?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #35
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
Hey guys, my coolant is yellow. Is this some kind of special stuff or is it just a generic kind?
Amsoil advertises "neutral yellow" color on their website.
Also, read Zerex for Asian vehicles is sappose to be yellow too.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #36

Thankfully when I bought my truck used, the owner never put anything other than Toyota Red long life coolant. Honestly and as drastic as it sounds, had there of been anything green in that radiator I would of walked away from buying the truck.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #37
swdockter is on a distinguished road

swdockter's Tacoma Gallery
I have 237,000 on my 2.7 taco. Been running Peek for years. I switch it ever 3-4 years. When I flushed my pink stuff out, I used
Vinegar and distilled water. Rinsed it many times until the water no longer smelled of vinegar. Not sure why some are so nervous about the green stuff. I’ve replaced a lot of parts but never anything related to coolant….exactly what should I be worried about.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #38
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swdockter View Post
I have 237,000 on my 2.7 taco. Been running Peek for years. I switch it ever 3-4 years. When I flushed my pink stuff out, I used
Vinegar and distilled water. Rinsed it many times until the water no longer smelled of vinegar. Not sure why some are so nervous about the green stuff. I’ve replaced a lot of parts but never anything related to coolant….exactly what should I be worried about.
And I was worried about using Asian to replace the OEM stuff - LOL
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #39
swdockter is on a distinguished road

swdockter's Tacoma Gallery
ya, I'll let you know how the green stuff is doing when I put another 100,000 miles on my 01....

I swap out my tranny fluid and radiator fluids often. Change oil often and these little 2.7s will last forever. They have to be the toughest SOBs on the planet.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #40

By using "green" coolant, we don't doubt your engine will last another 200k, but your water pump seals may be leaking so good luck with that, all cause a whopping $26 gallon of Toyota Red coolant was considered "too expensive."