Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota 'Red' Long Life Coolant...

Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #41
swdockter is on a distinguished road

swdockter's Tacoma Gallery
not too expensive at all. just not readily available. What does a guy do when you overheat in the middle of nowhere.....I'm not going to flush my system in the middle of nowhere or run all water until i find the pink stuff.

If my water pump goes....who gives a rats a$$. It owes me nothing Dave. I have 237K miles on it . I worry about a lot of other things before I worry about runnning the pink stuff 100,000 miles. I don't run anything that long anyways. You guys should be more worried about what oil your running and changing frequently if you want to keep you taco for 3-400,000 mies.....lol

Dave....do you sell the pink stuff for a living
Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #42
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^ I don't, but since I'm good at it I'll look into it and get back with you. Hell if I'm become a distributor I'll even send you a free a jug.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #43
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I've only used the red coolant in mine since '00

Still, the water pump began to leak around 100K

replaced the entire W pump for added measure.

Found out... the problem with leaking water pumps on the 1st gen Tacoma
is more related to the lousy paper gasket that is used, then the pump itself.

From my understanding...
all new replacement water pumps for the 1st gen...
now come with newly designed metal gaskets.

If one insists on reusing their current water pump...
I recommend using rtv instead of the paper gasket.

^ that or try to locate the newer designed metal gasket.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #44
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
I've only used the red coolant in mine since '00

Still, the water pump began to leak around 100K

replaced the entire W pump for added measure.

Found out... the problem with leaking water pumps on the 1st gen Tacoma
is more related to the lousy paper gasket that is used, then the pump itself.

From my understanding...
all new replacement water pumps for the 1st gen...
now come with newly designed metal gaskets.

If one insists on reusing their current water pump...
I recommend using rtv instead of the paper gasket.

^ that or try to locate the newer designed metal gasket.
Interesting. My 1st gen started leaking around 130 but I'm pretty sure it was from the weep hole under the bearing - or maybe I don't remember it correctly at all
Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #45
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Interesting. My 1st gen started leaking around 130 but I'm pretty sure it was from the weep hole under the bearing - or maybe I don't remember it correctly at all
Mine never technically leaked (hit the ground)

just seeped and created a crusty build up at the lower edges of the WP
Old 08-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #47
FFMast is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Sean
FFMast's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully somebody still has this sub'd. IS there anything wrong with just draining the radiator and refilling with the 50/50 premix? Do I REALLY need to flush the block? Be easy, im new.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #48
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Drain the radiator, fill with red and the rest with distilled water.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #49
JJ04TACO will become famous soon enoughJJ04TACO will become famous soon enough
Name: Jim
JJ04TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Took mine in for a flush a few months ago at one of the local dealers. My fluid is green. That's strange if the fluid they use is pink or red...
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #50
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ04TACO View Post
Took mine in for a flush a few months ago at one of the local dealers. My fluid is green. That's strange if the fluid they use is pink or red...
Wouldn't be that strange if they drained it and green was in their before. I had green in mine recently drained and flushed with pink coolant now though