Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota 'Red' Long Life Coolant...

Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota 'Red' Long Life Coolant...

Where can I buy this online at? All I see now is 'Pink' coolant for the Toyota. I don't want to drain mine as its been prolly a year but I need some to fill up my reservior. I called the stealership and they said oh we have a huge supply left for the older Toyota...dare I ask how much? $25 a gallon .
Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I just put in some of the pink GM stuff from autozone (prestone in the silver bottle). so far so good.

but that was when I did the timing belt so the rad was drained.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was thinking about just adding some deionized water to the reservior tank and call it good. Tho is may dilute the 50/50 a bit.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Dealership is the best bet because the shipping for an online order will drive the prive above what the dealership wants.

Steve o, any ill affects? Color change?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Dealership is the best bet because the shipping for an online order will drive the prive above what the dealership wants.

The stuff that we drained out of the rad looked like perfect cherry koolaid so the old coolant was probably pretty new. So far everything is fine; nice and clean with no ill effects.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
The stuff that we drained out of the rad looked like perfect cherry koolaid so the old coolant was probably pretty new. So far everything is fine; nice and clean with no ill effects.

Oh, you drained it. Good stuff.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
ShadowFalken's Tacoma Gallery
Dexcool is not Toyota LLC. Read the bottle chemistries. These should not be mixed. Dexcool is also not the same chemistry of the new SLLC Toyota chemistry. Just to make the point, if a GM engine with Dexcool has been contaminated with standard AF, GM has an elaborate flush procedure to follow to get it all out of the system.

The new coolants are OAT (organic acid technology) or HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology)

The chemistry of a cooling system is designed to work not only with the metals in the engine, but also with the plastics, seals and gaskets as well. The original LLC (red) was a high grade of traditional anti freeze. It worked very well in those cars that used it. One gallon will make 8 quarts at standard mix and will fill a V6 Tacoma unless you were able to drain it bone dry, then you will be half a quart short. $25 does not seem like a bad price.

If you do not have a dealer close by, a local CarQuest should either have it in stock or be able to get it through WorldPac. Price should be comparable to dealer or a little less. It is actual OE fluid supply. They can get the new SLLC for newer vehicles too.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #8

I just grabbed some at the stealership and filled my reservoir up with 50/50 'Red' and deionized water. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
Dexcool is not Toyota LLC. Read the bottle chemistries. These should not be mixed. Dexcool is also not the same chemistry of the new SLLC Toyota chemistry. Just to make the point, if a GM engine with Dexcool has been contaminated with standard AF, GM has an elaborate flush procedure to follow to get it all out of the system.

The new coolants are OAT (organic acid technology) or HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology)

The chemistry of a cooling system is designed to work not only with the metals in the engine, but also with the plastics, seals and gaskets as well. The original LLC (red) was a high grade of traditional anti freeze. It worked very well in those cars that used it. One gallon will make 8 quarts at standard mix and will fill a V6 Tacoma unless you were able to drain it bone dry, then you will be half a quart short. $25 does not seem like a bad price.
Yes, do not mix Dexcool and Toyota LLC. Dexcool is only for GM vehicles. Dexcool is a crappy coolant even in GM vehicles, IMHO it's the worst specialty coolant of all the car manufacturers. Dexcool as it ages lines the inside of the cooling system with a mud-like substance and it is impossible to clean out without major flushing. $25 is about the going price, as it is a high quality coolant.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Spend $25 and buy a gallon from your dealership. It's not that much money over the course of a coolant cycle, so don't go cheap. I really don't know if it's better or not, but that's what's recommended. If there is no difference, "Oh well", but wouldn't if suck if you put cheap stuff in and if screwed up you water pump, seals, etc.?? How much did your truck cost you??? Don't go cheap!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
I called the dealer and the parts rep said the coolant they sell is already 50/50. My Camry takes a bit over 6 quarts which means I have to buy 2 gallons at a steep $19.99. Does anyone know if it comes straight, no 50/50 mix?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
I called the dealer and the parts rep said the coolant they sell is already 50/50. My Camry takes a bit over 6 quarts which means I have to buy 2 gallons at a steep $19.99. Does anyone know if it comes straight, no 50/50 mix?
If it is the red like I require since I have a older Tacoma, it shouldn't come mixed. If it is the new pink stuff for the new Toyota then they come pre-mixed. Just make sure.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Super Long Life is 50/50(pink) and Long Life is just coolant (red).
fyi, still running strong with 45k miles on the GM red stuff
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
fyi, still running strong with 45k miles on the GM red stuff
GM has red stuff? I thouht it was orange?

I know there is aftermarket "pink" toyota coolant out there but I forget who makes it. It's half the price of the $20-25 a dealership charge but keep in mind that it's nothing something you replace all the time. Every two years supposedly so I don't think it's that much to use OEM stuff when you consider replacement interval.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Some guy was changing his fluid in his tacoma 1st gen this past weekend. He was using red generic IMPORT fluid. I should've asked where he got it...
Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
toastyjosh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: helitack
toastyjosh's Tacoma Gallery
On our GM work trucks we switched over to the amsoil coolant, way better than the GM crap. I think that you could run the amsoil stuff in the toyota as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
sometimes it is false savings to use the cheaper green stuff. I know that in the case of the older Mercedes, you stick to their mix. It was formulated for the metals in the engine block etc...don't know if this is the case with Toyota, but let's look at it this way....you only change antifreeze every two years or so...so it's cheap insurance to use what it came with.

I mean, the difference between $8/gallon and $20/gallon is not that much when you consider how long it lasts.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Zerex makes the jap compatible stuff but hard to find at local parts place. I paid $40 a gallon at dealership for toy longlife.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
$40 a gallon...no wonder its called the stealership....