Notices

Fog Light Mod How-To with Pics

Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Fog Light Mod How-To with Pics

I did this mod a couple of weekends ago. When preparing for the job I had several questions for SunDevilTacoma since it seems I'm a dumbass and didn't quite grasp this relatively simple task. Since I, as well as some others had questions about how to do this I took lots of pics along the way and made a detailed step-by-step writeup.

Of course my ineptitude continued when I found I was unable to attach my writeup to a post since the file (MS Word) was too large due to all of the pics. So anyway, I took two alternative approaches. I scanned the writeup which is okay, but the pictures are black & white and grainy so some of the detail is lost. In addition to that, I got the Word document converted directly to a .pdf, but a few of the pictures got screwed up. Not really a deal breaker on any of them, I think just a couple pictures of removing the corner light to start, and also two 'after' photos of my truck which isn't really important.

Anyway, if you're interested in doing this mod the files are attached . . . enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fog Light Mod Instructions_PDF.pdf (548.6 KB, 7024 views)
File Type: pdf Fog Light Mod Instructions_Scanned.pdf (1.93 MB, 2252 views)
Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
SunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
SunDevilTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up! Thanks again for taking the time to do that.

Rep!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
STICKKKKYYYY PLEASE???? or atleast put it into the mods section.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
very impressive, glad you took the time to make this
Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Go Braves!
blake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chazz Michael Michaels
blake1012's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed. been looking for this
Old 07-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau02 View Post
I did this mod a couple of weekends ago. When preparing for the job I had several questions for SunDevilTacoma since it seems I'm a dumbass and didn't quite grasp this relatively simple task. Since I, as well as some others had questions about how to do this I took lots of pics along the way and made a detailed step-by-step writeup.

Of course my ineptitude continued when I found I was unable to attach my writeup to a post since the file (MS Word) was too large due to all of the pics. So anyway, I took two alternative approaches. I scanned the writeup which is okay, but the pictures are black & white and grainy so some of the detail is lost. In addition to that, I got the Word document converted directly to a .pdf, but a few of the pictures got screwed up. Not really a deal breaker on any of them, I think just a couple pictures of removing the corner light to start, and also two 'after' photos of my truck which isn't really important.

Anyway, if you're interested in doing this mod the files are attached . . . enjoy!
Great write up the only thing i wouldn't do it use wire nuts in a Vehicle they tend to fall off over time especially of you do a lot of off roadin

I suggest you use a (rosin core solder) and solder all the wires and use shrink tubing and not electrical tape if you make these few simple changes you will never have a problem.

Keep up the good work.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
.Trdtaco315. is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
.Trdtaco315.'s Tacoma Gallery
hey i got a quick queston, did anyone do a write up on this same type of mod for turn signals on the bumper?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up man, very clear instructions. props to you
Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
ScootsOFP is on a distinguished road

Marines: E4/0311/usmcr/OIF 8-1
Name: Scoot
ScootsOFP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Trdtaco315. View Post
hey i got a quick queston, did anyone do a write up on this same type of mod for turn signals on the bumper?
Isn't that what this one does?

And does this mod create the hyper flashing when using blinkers?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
WhyNotFab is on a distinguished road
Name: Ricky
WhyNotFab's Tacoma Gallery
So this turns the bottom turn signals into fog lights, and re-routes the wires so that the upper corner parking lights would then be turn signals?

Might have to do this!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
u r amazing! I like how you have the corners as running lights and turn signals!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Casey
00taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootsOFP View Post
Isn't that what this one does?

And does this mod create the hyper flashing when using blinkers?
yes it does but i corrected it with a led load resistors from kragen auto parts
Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
rrosebr is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
rrosebr's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question...I had read in another post on this topic that there were two ways of doing this mod. One made the turning lights blink rapidly, and the other allowed them to blink like most blinkers do, while still functioning as a parking light when you're not turning. Is this method produce the latter results? Hope that question makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Well done regardless!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #14
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosebr View Post
Quick question...I had read in another post on this topic that there were two ways of doing this mod. One made the turning lights blink rapidly, and the other allowed them to blink like most blinkers do, while still functioning as a parking light when you're not turning. Is this method produce the latter results? Hope that question makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Well done regardless!
00Taco kinda answered this already, but anyway, I'll explain it a bit more...

It really depends on the type of lamps you use. LED's will use less power to activate the light, so the flasher doesn't detect the correct amount of current draw and believes the bulb is bad and goes into error mode. (I dont believe we have old analog flashers, which would be current/heat controlled flashing, but even if we do, same theory.)

If you used normal bulbs, it should be fine. The other option is to put a resistor inline so there's more power being read.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
rrosebr is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
rrosebr's Tacoma Gallery
So what are the best bulbs to use (type and color)? I more concerned with functionality and legalness than whether it looks good.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
vegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jamie
vegetopia's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to vegetopia Send a message via MSN to vegetopia
awesome
Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #17
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
so this mod turns the lower lights (signals) to being on at all times with the headlights? also at the parking light setting?

and makes the outter lights into the signals?

sorry, just wanted to understand correctly
Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
ScootsOFP is on a distinguished road

Marines: E4/0311/usmcr/OIF 8-1
Name: Scoot
ScootsOFP's Tacoma Gallery
^ yes you're right.

It turns the blinkers into fog lights that come on with the parking lights and stay on with the headlights. It also makes the corner lights come on with the parking lights (which they normally do) and they also stay on with the headlights.
So, if you have the parking lights on you get the fog lights and corner lights. Turn on the headlights and you get everything. Turn on the blinker and the corresponding corner light will blink at the normal rate.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Casey
00taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosebr View Post
So what are the best bulbs to use (type and color)? I more concerned with functionality and legalness than whether it looks good.
i made the old bliknkers the fog lights with super white led bulbs to match my white headlights. then i used a 6led amber bulb for the blickers(blinkers arent super bright in day but led is wayy better than a normal bulb at that size).
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #20
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00taco View Post
i made the old bliknkers the fog lights with super white led bulbs to match my white headlights. then i used a 6led amber bulb for the blickers(blinkers arent super bright in day but led is wayy better than a normal bulb at that size).
Did you have to put load balancers (resistor) in line to slow down the hyper blink?