1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has Wheelers Offroad 1st gen replacement leafs?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by scocar, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 31, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    UPDATE!

DEADLINE EXTENSION: Due to short notice, Yotadan is giving us until Thursday, April 22, to get our act together! So beg your spouses, cash your tax returns, and get your act together!

Here is the group buy thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...heelers-offroad-1st-gen-leaf-replacement.html

We need 11 more people to get 15% off!

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
  3. Apr 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    mjhenks

mjhenks Well-Known Member

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    Still doing my homework. Figure i will probably be in on the Wheelers group buy. Now trying to figure out if i want the 4 pack or 5 pack. My main goal is to solve Axle wrap with minimal lift.

Any feedback on these pictures.

My 2004 DC as it sits now.

[​IMG]

After lifting the back end 1.5" to simulate the Wheelers 5 pack rear leaf springs. Not much of a rake but it is there.

[​IMG]

I am OK with a slight clunk when stopping hard or every once in a while but not the major clunk i have now every time i stop. Really do not want a rake on the truck. I do not haul alot of heavy stuff nore do i offroad.

I am pretty new to trucks but mechanically inclined. (bought this truck about 6 weeks ago) Are there easy (read inexpensive) ways to level out the front if i went with the 5 pack and ended up with picture #2 or worse due to the sag i am sure the suspension already has? I see what apears to be a few options on the Wheelers web site but without pictures i do not know what they are or what the install is like.

Figure i have 3 weeks to sell myself on what is the best way to go.

Thank you for the help and advice.

4. Apr 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    humtaco

humtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    How many miles on the truck? You may be able to justify the expense of replacing the shocks and put the Bilstien 5100s on which would allow you to level the truck if you go with the 5 leaf pack. I think your truck would look good with the additional 1-1.5" lift.

5. Apr 4, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    mjhenks

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    93K on the truck. The ride seams fine but again i am new to trucks so anything is rougher then the Honda i came from.

6. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:41 AM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    If you're purely a mall-crawler :D (meaning you don't offroad) you can either go Bilsteins, or put in spacers on the front coils, that would level things out for cheaper than totally new coils/shocks up front. Check out ToyTec, RevTek and a few other places for lift/leveling options. (I'm partial to ToyTec cause that's what I bought...)

7. Apr 5, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    mjhenks

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    Mall-crawler....Nice. :)

I think i am more of a "my wife is a truck girl, gave up the truck for the kids and asked me to buy a truck that would haul the kids so she could drive a truck every once in a while" kind of guy. Just sounds better..... :cool:

Thank you for the info. Definatly not going off-roading. Honestly, i remeber loving my old 1960 VW Double Cab. That combined with my statement above is why i have the Toyota but i am finding i really like trucks....

8. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    :D

I'll give you 6 months to a year before you find yourself offroad... not necessarily burying it to the frame in a mud pit, but offroad none the less. It always happens.. heheh

Anyway, no problem.

9. Apr 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    elliott

elliott New Member

Member:
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 4WD TRD
    scocar,
    you and I have almost exactly the same setup down to the snugtop. I just noticed the axle wrap after buying a small (~2000 lbs) shasta camper and watching the back end sag.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/elliottrjohnson/20100402_Shasta_CartersLake#5456821680717220706
    When I first bought the trailer I measured it all out and bought a drop hitch. The trailer was totally dry, and I had no Snugtop at the time. Truck and trailer sat level then, and I'm thinking the addition of just a few hundred pounds brought the sag, and this equals bad leafs. The truck sits level unloaded (with Snugtop on), but the springs are lookin' real sorry--like the pics above.

I took it in to the dealer today asking about the rear leaf spring TSB and instead got a reccomend for all new struts at $1600 total. They said they can't determine the condition of the springs with bad struts. I have 78k on a 2004 V6 4WD TRD Access Cab, and I see no visible leaking from my original Bilstein's but confess I'm no mechanic. However, it seems pretty obvious that the rear springs are shot, and that they do a totally different job than the struts.

I'm considering the 5 pack as I think you are. My questions are:
    -Do you have your original struts all around and are you considering replacement because you think it's time?
    -Or are you considering the 5100's up front just to level up with the 5-pack?
    -If you did that would you do the rear too while you're in there?
    I'm not very concerned about the dealer's diagnosis on my struts, unless you guys say it's time anyway. I really just want a level ride while pulling the trailer or any moderate load in the bed.

Thanks,
    elliott

10. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    Can't speak for scocar, but $1600? For shocks? Holy #$*&!!!
    New Bilsteins all around aren't going to cost that much, even if you get a shop to do 'em they shouldn't cost anywhere near that. I'd recommend at least doing the rears + new leafs, you can always do the front and level it at a later date. Towing that camper, you're going to need the springs... the 5 leafs will help with the added weight I would think, after settling you'd probably be looking about maybe 3/4" to maybe an inch in the rear, higher than stock... adding the 5100s will help smooth the ride out. But the lift will be "unloaded", so the truck should sit level with the camper on.

Can put 5100s up front and just leave 'em set at 0... you'll have a rake without the camper, level with.. shouldn't look to bad. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top