1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A.R.E. camper top

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by coehorn1, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    coehorn1

coehorn1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 4x4 2.7I4 5sp "beast"
    Started looking at an A.R.E. camper top. The CX model with the full fiberglass walk-in door and sliding front window looks nice but it's seriously pricey.

Anyone have one of these? How would you rate it?

2. Mar 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Unless there's been a change, you can't get the walk-in door on a cab-high CX for a mini truck. As of a few years ago ARE didn't offer the walk-in door on a mini cap lower than the MX mid-high series. As I recall, the walk-door could be had on the CX for full-sized pickups only.

3. Mar 20, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    coehorn1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I was at a store that carried A.R.E tops yesterday. They said they could do it and gave me a quote of $2600. They measured my bed and matched my paint.

I'm not sure how much utility a verticle door would be on a mini-truck but it sure looks better built than the typical back hatch.

Leer has a really sweet frameless back hatch available that looks like a high degree of fit and finish too....

4. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    I know, not the model your looking for. But I can tell you it fits great. I chose ARE over Leer as I talked with two dealers who dropped Leer due to lack of quaility in their product. Then again it could be that Leer dropped them. Best of luck with your topper purchase.
    Taco4x4nc

[​IMG]

5. Mar 20, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    I have an A.R.E. cap on my '03, bought it right after I bought my truck new. Nice cap, works well, fits well, matches the factory paint very well. I mainly using it for keeping the dogs in the back.

Few complaints:

A. I don't like the crank open side windows on the cap, they really do nothing for ventilation and are a PITA to use.

B. My '03 has tinted back glass, and when you put the cap on there with it's tinted windows, you can barely see out the back!

C. When I first picked up my cap after ordering it and had it installed, I drove it home and noticed the whole inside, which is covered with a headliner was completely filled with over spray. To me that says something about quality control.

Peter

6. Mar 21, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    coehorn1

Member:
    Vehicle:

Any chance for some pics??

7. Mar 22, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Here you are. With pics of the FJ Cruiser SE rims.

Peter

DSC_0024.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top