Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Recomendations exhaust & cold air intakes?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Stuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Stuart
Stuardoslls's Tacoma Gallery
Question Recomendations exhaust & cold air intakes?

Hey everyone just bought a first gen Tacoma (2.7L 4x4), and want to start doing some mods. Want to start with intake and exhaust, but not sure what to get. Dont want a ricey tone. recomendations?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
deck plate mod
edit: here you go http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...od-please.html

and a dynomax super turbo muffler
and post # 20 here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...on-thread.html

and welcome!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
tumbleweed farmer
307prerunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
307prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
AFE intake has done wonders for the "get up"
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
tumbleweed farmer

okay so what is a deckplate mod?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 307prerunner View Post
okay so what is a deckplate mod?
look in my original post and also in this link
http://www.trdoffroad.com/articles/deckplate/index.php

edit: I just saw that you already have an AFE intake. The deck plate mod is for the stock air box.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
x3 on the deckplate mod and a AFE Pro Dry S filter, and Also a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler!
steveO gave you a link to the Deck Plate mod.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Stuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of lightStuardoslls is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks SteveO. The deckplate mod seems simple enough. Just bought the deckplate at my local marine shop only $12... cant wait for a day off
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuardoslls View Post
Thanks SteveO. The deckplate mod seems simple enough. Just bought the deckplate at my local marine shop only $12... cant wait for a day off
One of my favorite mods.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
tumbleweed farmer

well crap i wish id known about that like 2 weeks ago before i got the intake. sounds like a sweet deal though! Go with what they said Stuart
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #12

Thanks everyone just did the deckplate mod last week and it was simple and seems to have been effective. Ill update on power and gas mileage soon... sounds great though...
Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
TGurau is on a distinguished road
Marines: Former Seargent, NCOIC
Name: Tibi
TGurau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks everyone just did the deckplate mod last week and it was simple and seems to have been effective. Ill update on power and gas mileage soon... sounds great though...
I just bought an intake a month ago and I wanna know the difference between an aftermarket intake and the mod. Could u give me some stats? What kind of Taco do you have?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
TGurau is on a distinguished road
Marines: Former Seargent, NCOIC
Name: Tibi
TGurau's Tacoma Gallery
I spent a couple hundred bucks on an injen intake and I REALLY like it. Great sound, huge dif in power. I like everything about it. I still have my old intake so if I get bored, I'll do the deckplate mod and test out the differences. Once I do, I'll start a thread and tell everyone which I think is better.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #15
Tacoma007 will become famous soon enoughTacoma007 will become famous soon enough
Tacoma007's Tacoma Gallery
"Shower Drain" mod works just as good as the "Deckplate Mod" and is easier to install.
Did it on my Truck and I got almost 3mpg gain and a noticeable horsepower increase--I like it because it works with a grate cover over the hole so you don't have a 4" gap in the front of the air-box constantly sucking in dirt, bugs, leaves, etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #16
swdockter is on a distinguished road

swdockter's Tacoma Gallery
Not a bad idea on the shower drain idea. Did it come with a soap on a rope too ?

Just stick a shop vac in the 4" hole and clean it. I have had this mod for years with no problem. Change/clean the filter often
Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
00tactrouble is on a distinguished road

00tactrouble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, when you said you just purchased from local marine shop...did you just ask the guy at the counter for a deckplate or how would I go about doing this
Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tactrouble View Post
Ok, when you said you just purchased from local marine shop...did you just ask the guy at the counter for a deckplate or how would I go about doing this

I just walked in to the marine shop and browsed around for like 2 minutes and found them, all the guys at the counter were busy. but here is a pic of what it looks like....
Its easy to install only took about 30 minutes... Ive been getting about 2 MPG better, better throttle response, and better sound.

Here is the link for the deckplate thread:
deck plate mod
Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #19
00tactrouble is on a distinguished road

00tactrouble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just walked in to the marine shop and browsed around for like 2 minutes and found them, all the guys at the counter were busy. but here is a pic of what it looks like....
Its easy to install only took about 30 minutes... Ive been getting about 2 MPG better, better throttle response, and better sound.

Here is the link for the deckplate thread:
deck plate mod
cool thanks for the info! I will be heading out to my local marine shop this weekend to purchase and then install my new upgrade.