Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DOM vs. HREW for sliders

Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
DOM vs. HREW for sliders

im looking at the 4x innovations sliders part # RS03-K http://4xinnovations.com/pages/guarding/sliders.htm(mainly because of price). It comes in either DOM or HREW tubing. I know that DOM is stronger but for the $50 extra is it worth it??
Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
i always wondered about this, is either one heavier?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

from what I understand the DOM isnt any heavier, it has something to do with the carbon content of the steel.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
DOM has no seams, HREW does. DOM dents, HREW bends.

DOM is typically used in race cages do the to fact that it doesn't have a specific point for the tube to fail (compared to HREW that will fail on the seam that it was welded)

I went with the DOM sliders. You're welding them on so they're basically going to be permanent, and the price difference really isn't much at all, so might as well go with the stronger material.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
DOM has no seams, HREW does. DOM dents, HREW bends.

DOM is typically used in race cages do the to fact that it doesn't have a specific point for the tube to fail (compared to HREW that will fail on the seam that it was welded)

I went with the DOM sliders. You're welding them on so they're basically going to be permanent, and the price difference really isn't much at all, so might as well go with the stronger material.
I totaly understand. (I was 99% sure on getting the DOM anyways) I was just curious how much of a difference it made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
HREW has a weld no?
no idea
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
DOM stands for Drawn over Mandrel. One solid tube with uniform thickness.

HREW stands for Hot Rolled (Electric Weld?). Basically a flat sheet that was made into a circle and welded, so the thickness isn't always going to be uniform.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
DOM stands for Drawn over Mandrel. One solid tube with uniform thickness.

HREW stands for Hot Rolled (Electric Weld?). Basically a flat sheet that was made into a circle and welded, so the thickness isn't always going to be uniform.
that explains it better than the articles I was reading. DOM sounds like the way to go for sure
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Actually DOM DOES have a seam...DOM starts its life just like HREW, but it has an extra step, which is where it is Drawn Over a Mandrel (DOM). This basically cold works the steel and make the crystal structure stronger where it had been weakened from the weld (difference between DOM and HREW). It also helps maintain much tighter tolerances over HREW (not something you really care about for sliders). At the end of the day, if it is only a $50 difference, then go with DOM.....for that much tubing, it would usually be about twice the price for materials, so that is a good deal. Mine are HREW and work just fine for me (however, if I could have gone DOM for $50 more, I would).
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
For the extra $50, get the DOM, I wish that I did. Mine haven't bent, but since they are welded on, I should have gotten the extra insurance.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Good places to buy the stuff? Dom?