Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Camburg Coilover Question

Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
OlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Platoon Leader, XO, AS3, 2d BN 503d INF (ABN) 173d ABCT, Army Aviator
OlyTacoma173's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg Coilover Question

I have Camburgs coilovers installed on my truck and recently changed out my stock tires for 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains. I am getting a little bit of rubbing in turns on the rear of the fender well. I trimmed out some of the plastic liner which helped, but the tires are still touching a little bit of metal in turns. I know that I can adjust my coilovers to give me a little more height and added clearance for the tires but I'm not sure how much of the thread should be exposed on the coilovers. For those of you with Camburgs on your 1st Gen 4x4's, how much thread do you have showing? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
in your case what you need to be more concerned with are your CV angles. as long as the CV is still at a decent angle and the fins on the boot are not touching eachother you'll be good. i had my icons adjusted to about 2.5" lift (dont rememebr how much thread showing) and i still rubber my tire's (same size as you with 4.5" basckspace wheels) on the frame.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Some people said as long as you can get a paper between the fins, you are fine.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
OlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Platoon Leader, XO, AS3, 2d BN 503d INF (ABN) 173d ABCT, Army Aviator
Thanks guys. Guess I'll just crank them up as far as they'll let me without putting any undue stress on the CV boots and joints. Appreciate your help!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
also, if on stock wheels, you need less backspace...

on 285s, your best bet is 4"

you can also have your casters set forward 1.5 to 2 degrees
Old 03-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #6

Mikes, thanks for your reply. For the backspacing, I read that the stock alloys have 4.5" of backspace. Will wheel spacers correct the backspace issue and if so, which would you recommend? I've read that Spidertrax are pretty much the only way to go with spacers but only see them available in 1.25".
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTacoma173 View Post
Mikes, thanks for your reply. For the backspacing, I read that the stock alloys have 4.5" of backspace. Will wheel spacers correct the backspace issue and if so, which would you recommend? I've read that Spidertrax are pretty much the only way to go with spacers but only see them available in 1.25".
for the life of me, i cant remember the other company... there is a company that makes spacers for tacomas in various sizes from 3/4" to 2"
Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
All Pro makes up to 2.0" Mike.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think the OP is looking for that much, prob more like a 1" spacer. i could be wrong though, i'm still working on my mind reading skills
Old 03-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
hold on i think everyone forgot about the pinch weld mod

OP...hammer the pinch weld flat (thats the exposed metal underneath the plastic liner)

thats where youre talking about right?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
LT Chase Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
hold on i think everyone forgot about the pinch weld mod
x2... even after that, he may still be rubbing on the frame too...
Old 03-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
x2... even after that, he may still be rubbing on the frame too...
more than likely...i still get some rub and the Ivans are backspaced more (or less i dunno but they stick out more) than stock wheels
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #13

Tiger, yeah, that's exactly where I am talking about. I'll let you all know how it works out once I'm able to do it. Broke my leg a few days ago so mods are on hold for a while.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

now that youve trimmed the plastic...its easy to do

you can remove the tire and use a BFH...but i chose to leave the tire in place...i used a regular sized hammer and got it pretty flat...then all the paint i chipped in the process i sprayed with flat black rattle can