1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Service History

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JRA2000TL, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Mar 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    JRA2000TL

JRA2000TL [OP] Member

Member:
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5 TRD Xtra Cab V6
    I've tried to obtain a service history on my 04 that I just bought but haven't had much luck. I registered with Toyota Owners Online and plugged in my VIN. It gave me the selling dealer but didn't have any service records.

I called a buddy I used to work with (who's now a Toyota service writer). He said he could only pull service history with his dealer or within the Southeast Region. Apparently Tampa/Lakeland (where the truck came from) isn't in his region.

I called an 800 # for Toyota and they couldn't help me. I then called the selling dealer (Stadium Toyota) in Tampa. They only showed a service in 04 at 9600 miles. I called Lakeland Toyota (in the city where the previous owner lived). They had only 2 service records in 06 for oil changes. On one visit, they replaced some bulb also.

I wish I could track down the previous owner to find out more. For now, I'm going to just get the oil changed and maybe the rear differential fluid. I should probably do a drain and fill on the transmission, but I've heard that if it hasn't been changed in awhile that changing it now will cause it to slip. Any ideas on that? I'm somewhat worried about the timing belt not being done now. Since it's a non interference engine, I will probably wait a little while on that. Anything else I need to do? The maintenance schedule has alot of "inspect this or that" type stuff and "lube/grease" certain parts.

2. Mar 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    When my husband and I buy a used vehicle....we do almost all the maintenance you could possibly do (well, almost) within the first 6 months of owning it. It's the ONLY way you're gonna know if the maintenance was done and the only way you can inspect everything more closely and take care of any problems that pop up before they become bigger problems.

How many miles on the truck?
    Engine oil change, tire rotations, air filter change, diff fluids, transfer case fluid, transmission flush/fill, Radiator flush/fill, water pump, timing belt, thermostat, spark plugs, belts, check brakes/fluid, check steering fluid, fuel pump filter, etc etc.

3. Apr 22, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    With the Toyota on line account you can enter service you perform and have it saved in the Toyota website.

I sort of like this feature hope I never have to use it to back up an issue with the dealer.

4. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wouldn't bother with the diff oil. Haven't done it yet on mine (140K on it) and my last Toyota truck had 300K on it and I never did it. No problem whatsoever. People service these trucks too much and create problems. I got that info directly from a Toyota mechanic. Do your basic maintenance and don't over maintain it.

Products Discussed in

To Top