Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What's the best Wheel Cleaner....for brake dust...???

Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
What's the best Wheel Cleaner....for brake dust...???

Looking for a really good wheel cleaner to remove the tuff brake dust. My wheels gotta look new again.

What do you think?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
Castrol Superclean works great.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
You think Pep Boys would carry that?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
i would think so i know walmrt has it. i usally buy a gallon and put it in a spray bottle.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
rookie
lb86 will become famous soon enough

lb86's Tacoma Gallery
wesley's tire/wheel cleaner. i use it on mine and it takes dust and dirt off i didn't even know was on the wheel in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the best Wheel Cleaner....for brake dust...???-0401001352.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Large Member

Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb86 View Post
wesley's tire/wheel cleaner. i use it on mine and it takes dust and dirt off i didn't even know was on the wheel in the first place.
Then they aren't dirty. Mine are aluminum and black from brake dust. I need powerful stuff here.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
i always scrub them with a stiff bristle brush and soap and water, then powerball the crap outta them with some aluminum polish then wax.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
Simple Green (Undiluted). Cuts the crud on wheels, and cleans the tires very well too. Doesnt harm alum wheel finish/cleacoat
Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
BigJimHouse is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
BigJimHouse's Tacoma Gallery
Napa has some brutal stuff called Aluminum Brightener or something like that (also says Mac's on the Napa spray bottle). Works great but be CAREFUL. Nasty acid type stuff! Gotta be armed with the garden hose at the same time!
Best stuff I've ever seen come out of a spray bottle.
Jim
Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
purple power right out the bottle works awesome, on tires too
Old 04-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Large Member

Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
i always scrub them with a stiff bristle brush and soap and water, then powerball the crap outta them with some aluminum polish then wax.
I have the same wheels you do. Are they clear coated? I don't think mine are because the brake dust is only staying where it's pitted some. It's not "to" bad, but I really want them perfect, since my new 03 is clean as hell.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Slapps74 is a jewel in the roughSlapps74 is a jewel in the roughSlapps74 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Chris
Slapps74's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
Looking for a really good wheel cleaner to remove the tuff brake dust. My wheels gotta look new again.

What do you think?
TIME OUT! what kind of wheels? Steel or alum, polished or clear coated.
Some of the stuff in other posts will destroy yor wheels. Try some thing a little less harsh and a little elbow grease. I think it's made by Meguires and it called A to Z wheel cleaner. Try that first. If you get lucky you can catch a parts jockey at Auto Zone or Checker that can find his A$$ with both hands and they can put you on the right path.

FYI- Aluma bright is NASTY stuff and for semi wheels.

Good luck

Slapps
Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Brake cleaner is the best thing I have found. But it will probably take off paint.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Meguiar's Wheel Cleaner, the one in the purple bottle, did wonders on my Taco and in an X5 which had wheels with 2 year build up brake dust.

Fuck... I should probably get hired as a Meguiar's spokesperson for how much I use their products...
Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
2004Taco will become famous soon enough

2004Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2004Taco Send a message via Yahoo to 2004Taco
Simple Green works wonders!
Try that!!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
BigJimHouse is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
BigJimHouse's Tacoma Gallery
Aluma bright works fine, (why I said to be ready with the hose!), also reading the directions helps.

I've used it on different aluminum items (none clearcoated) with awesome results, spray on, hose off after 5 seconds and proceed after seeing what results you're getting.

Jim
Old 04-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
I have the same wheels you do. Are they clear coated? I don't think mine are because the brake dust is only staying where it's pitted some. It's not "to" bad, but I really want them perfect, since my new 03 is clean as hell.
im not sure but if i were to guess i would say no.
i just use car soap and scrub them really good then use a little of this

the first time i did it i took all the wheel off the truck (i needed to rotate them anyways) and used quite a few coats of it. took me awhile but its good stuff.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #19
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
I asked the same question here and a Detailer Guy named Hans something says Meguires Hot Rims is the best I dont use it but its on sale at Walmart now,theres 2 dfferent kinds ones for standard rims and the others for Chrome rims so read the label
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
Dave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Dave
Dave333's Tacoma Gallery
WD40. Spray it on a rag and wipe it on. I heard this on a motorcycle forum, since the rear wheels are always a PITA to get clean with all the grease and brake dust on them. Crap comes right off and it leaves a nice film to keep other stuff from sticking.