Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstein Shocks

Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Bdiddy11 is on a distinguished road
Bdiddy11's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein Shocks

New to the Taco World here... i'm a Jeep Cherokee guy but we bought my wife a 96 Taco a little while ago.

We're in need of new shocks and have been interested in getting some Bilstein 5100's as i've heard lots of great things about them over on my Cherokee forum.

What are some good options for Tacos shock wise? The cheaper, but still with good ride quality is always good.

Also, not quite sure how much lift the truck has. We bought it like this...sitting on 31x10.5x15 tires. Not sure on the BS of the rims either.

Also not sure what shock length we'll need to get to compensate for what lift it has. It's mainly an around town driver/lawn mowing/some camping and dirt trails.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
5100s are the best for these trucks. They are 0-3" lift for the rear and the fronts are adjustable 0-2.5". I just put them on my 04 and i love them. Your truck dosnt look lifted to me. It might have a leveling kit on it but the rear look stock. My fronts are at 2.5" and i put an AAL in the back and it rides great.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I would check out Downsouth Motorsports for a set of 5100's front and rear.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The rear has a add-a-leaf. Need a pic to see what the front has. But if you do run the 5100s, you would remove the current lift components in the front and just use the 5100s to get 2.5" of lift. For the rear you can just get new shocks since you have an aal. However, from the pic, the aal that you have is not a good one and could damage your pack.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Appreciate the help and info. New to Tacos.

How much lift can you go without having to do major add ons with the driveline and what not?

Would a 2.5" lift be fine? Would we have to do anything else to the truck besides shocks/leafs/springs up front?

What would be a good replacement on the cheap side for the AAL in the back?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdiddy11 View Post
Appreciate the help and info. New to Tacos.

How much lift can you go without having to do major add ons with the driveline and what not?

Would a 2.5" lift be fine? Would we have to do anything else to the truck besides shocks/leafs/springs up front?
Up to 3" but 5100's can max at 2.5" alone, you will still need a rear lift...your rear leafs are decent shape so a AAL will work but I would get a new leaf pack if I were you.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Ok sweet. So 5100s up front with 5100s out back and a new leaf pack and that's all we should have to do.

What size leaf pack should we be looking at in order to keep it around 2.5" so we don't really have to do anything else?

Will we need new coil springs up front or do the shocks take care of that?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #8

PM YotaDan and ask to see if they have 5100's in stock. I heard there were on backorder and also ask which rear leaf pack with match up to the 5100's set at 2.5". He is with Wheeler's Offroad and a very great vendor/online site. I got my coilovers from them.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
AlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
AlexanderD's Tacoma Gallery
not to thread-jack. but what are the part #s for the Bilstein front adjustable coilovers? and the Bilstein rear shocks that will accommodate up to a 3" lift?

is there anywhere that will ship these to canada for a reasonable cost?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Are these part numbers the same for any website to buy Bilsteins?

Front Shock Part #: BE5-D558-T0
Driver Side Rear Shock Part #: BE5-D559-T0
Passenger Side Rear Shock Part #: BE5-D560-T0

This is from Downsouth Motorsports.

We really need to buy shocks... ours are beyond squeeky and need replacing.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
AlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
AlexanderD's Tacoma Gallery
youll have a tough time getting bilstine 5100's they seem to be hard to get. haha

i'm gunna go with an OME setup.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderD View Post
youll have a tough time getting bilstine 5100's they seem to be hard to get. haha

i'm gunna go with an OME setup.
DSM had the 95.5-04 5100's in stock yesterday...and yes they go like hot cakes...so keep looking.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Know if there's a way to get on a waiting list and have them pre-ordered for when they do come in stock?

I've got a PM into the DSM guy, still waiting for a response
Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Know if there's a way to get on a waiting list and have them pre-ordered for when they do come in stock?

I've got a PM into the DSM guy, still waiting for a response
Call them and ask for Sonny.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
Ok so i've been doing some reading and it appears that there's sometimes problems with 15" wheels on Tacomas?

I'm not sure what step to take with the truck right now.

We're getting some Bilstein 5100's once somewhere has them in stock. Ideally we'd like either 2-2.5" of lift all the way around. The front can be done with the shocks, but we'll need a new leaf pack from what i'm gathering to get the 2.5" for the rear + 5100s?

We're also getting new brakes as we've got a rattle and some have said it's possibly the pads being worn. Now my question is, since we have 15" wheels that appear to be aftermarket... should we look into going to 16" wheels and a different backspacing? Not sure if the 15" wheels are causing damage to the caliper like some people say happens...

The tires on there now are 31x15x10.5
Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
What problems with 15" wheels?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #17
From what I hear there's possible problems with 15" wheels rubbing on the caliper...

Haven't taken off the tire to see if there's been any issues, the wheels came on the truck and we're just getting into the Toyota world so this is all news to me.

Just wondering if we're better off going with a 16" wheel w/better backspacing or sticking with what we gots.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
98fourbangertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the daystar 2.5in lift, it uses spacers up fron and greasable, longer shackles in the rear (they also have the same kit but with AAL for the rear for the same price) for $159 and it uses all your factory shocks so you dont have to change any of that unless you need new ones

You should be fine with 15in wheels, thats what came on those trucks, thats whats on mine and i havnt had any problems
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #19
Finally!

Finally was able to order some 5100's for my 96 Taco!!!! Por fin!!

Now I just gotta wait for the brown truck or the white/purple one, whoever DSM ships through.

Exciting!!!

Now the squeaking can go away!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Finally!

Finally was able to order some 5100's for my 96 Taco!!!! Por fin!!

Now I just gotta wait for the brown truck or the white/purple one, whoever DSM ships through.

Exciting!!!

Now the squeaking can go away!
Nice I'm going with the 5100's soon set to .85 in the front to get closer to level.