Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rebuilding Rear Leaf Springs. Viable option?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
mjhenks is on a distinguished road
mjhenks's Tacoma Gallery
Rebuilding Rear Leaf Springs. Viable option?

In researching for the Wheelers group buy i just can not leave a stone unturned.

I have noticed a few comments in the many leaf pack threads about rebuilding the leaf pack instead of replacing. (Talking stock OEM, no lifts or major of road packs) I found a few post saying they were thinking about it but no-one who actually posted they did it.

Since my money tree refuses to produce bills with zero's at the end i have to ask is this viable?

I have spoken to a few of the big name shops about axle wrap. Eventually the conversation came around to re-arching/rebuilding. they said they could ra-arc and add another leaf and yield somehting better then but similar to a OEM replacement leaf pack. Mind you that these shops also sell the stock OEM packs and i did NOT mention i was trying to save a buck. Just told them i want to eliminate axle wrap w/o a major lift and that i was not going off-roading or anything like that.

So... To round out the discussion...

Has anyone had their leaf pack rebuilt?
Had them re-arched?
Had another leaf added to old pack? (Not AAL's)

Pro's i can think of:
- save some money

Con's i can think of:
- working with already sagging springs.
- unsure if re-arching really does not weaken the spring.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
WRECKLESS for Life...
Wreckless_71 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Reserve County Sheriff
Name: Justin
Wreckless_71's Tacoma Gallery
Bump... I'm wondering the same thing man. Has anyone built a bastard pack or does anyone know of stockers that could be swapped in off another rig?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Back in 2000 (or some where around that time), I had my leaf springs re-arched on my 96 tacoma. At the time - there wasn't any replacement paks available. I wanted 2" of lift.

I had the original leafs re-arched, had 2 custom (with matching arch) leaf springs added (total of 4+overload). This was all done at the local spring shop. It cost somewhere in the $300+ range.

When it was finished (and new), I ended up with 3" of lift, which it did settle down to 2" - which is exactly what I wanted.

The ride was definately a lot more harsh than the stock springs. THat's to be expected .....it's a truck. The leaf pak was heavy duty as hell. You could barely move it when you jumped up/down in the bed. It laughed at hauling a scoop of mulch without any sag.

Axle wrap......what axle wrap? The tires spun....and spun....

At the time - 10 years ago, it was the cats ass. Now? It's probably costs way too much to have this done versus what a new aftermarket pak would cost. But, that's something you'd have to research....
Old 06-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Curious.. OP what did you end up doing? I am researching right now a re-arch / aal combo, as my leafs are flat, and shipping to hawaii sucks ass..
Old 06-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
mjhenks is on a distinguished road
mjhenks's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up going with new leaf's from Alcon. I spoke to Deavers at length. They made it all seams reasonable that the leaf pack could be re-arched without damage but i could not get my head around why the leaf pack once flat would not either have memory or damage. I opted for a new pack and the group buy made the most sense. Have yet to find time to install the pack but that is the path i am on.