1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen turn signals to running lights with Switchback LEDs (a how to)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mtucker, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Apr 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    mtucker

mtucker [OP] Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    This is a write up on how to install the Switchback LED bulbs. These bulbs go into your turn signals sockets and light up white for running lights, but still go to yellow/off for turn signals. This mod takes some time to do it right.

Application:
    This write-up is specifically for 2001-2004 trucks.

Update 5/31/2019
    I have found a reasonably priced ($21) pair of switchback LEDs that I am now using for this modification (I had used V-LED bulbs in the past, but they had quality problems (across multiple versions) and were expensive). I see LaTaco03 tried these back in April. It is important to use bulbs that support the CK style sockets in our trucks. That use to really limit the selection. These Antline bulbs say they work with both CK and non-CK bulbs so I tried them. They are on Amazon and their title is
    "ANTLINE Extremely Bright 3157 3057 3155 3457 4157 Switchback LED Bulbs White/Yellow 3030 Chipsets with Projector for Turn Signal Lights (Pack of 2)" We need the 3157. The link is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWNWZW6 It looks like the same switchback LED is sold under many names, but this is the brand and vendor I bought it from (one day shipping on Prime). 5/2020: These Antline switchbacks have worked great for a year now. No reliability problems.

Antline installed. Not as bright as the obsolete V-LEDs, but decent.
    [​IMG]

Showing the amber turn signal
    [​IMG]

The box they came in.
    [​IMG]

Update 1/29/2018: Updated information in the section about adding a wire to the OEM connector. Options are adding a OEM pin to the stock socket or replacing the socket with a Toyota socket that has three wires already included.

Part #:
    Update 5/31/2019. Antline 3157 switchback signal lights (pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWNWZW6 These switchbacks work with our CK style sockets. They are advertised as working with both CK and non-CK style sockets.

Note that we need the "CK" style bulbs (AKA SWACK style) as our sockets are a bit different from the standard 3157 style socket.

OLD part #s for reference:
    Original V-LED part # (note these are no longer sold) 3157_60_WA2_CK_5K
    2nd gen VLED part # 3157_42_WA2_CK_5K (no longer sold). The 2nd generation had impressively bright white LEDs. The brightness of the amber LEDs was fine/OK.
    3rd gen VLED part # 3157CK_42_HV_WA_5K (no longer sold).

Necessary changes:
    If you just plug in the switchback bulbs, you get LED amber turn signals. To light up the white LEDs for running lights, you need to run 12V down to your turn signals. For more information on where to find a 12V source and how to hook up to it, check out this write up https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-to-install-switchback-leds.150483/ The 2001-2004 Tacomas used a dual filament socket (has room for three wires), but Toyota only put two wires in for a single filament. You will be adding a wire to the empty spot on the socket OR you can try adding a pin to the socket or replace the existing socket with a Toyota socket that came with three wires.

Known problems: The switchback bulbs look for the turn signal voltage to know when they should turn off the white LEDs and flash the yellow LEDs. It is common for the white LEDs to go off briefly when you hit the brakes or switch into reverse. What happens is the rear driver's side light housing has a so-so ground and a bit of voltage develops on the ground when the brake lights or reverse lights are first turned on. That voltage travels through the rear driver's side bulb filament and to the "hot" side of the left turn signal. The switchbacks see that voltage and think you turned on your turn signal for a split second (the white LEDs then turn off for a second). There are two ways to get around this.
    1. Add a ground wire from the rear driver's side light housing to the frame. This provides a better ground and keeps the voltage spike low. This is what I did..... partly because I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on and this help me prove it was the voltage spike I was seeing on the ground.
    2. Change your rear brake bulbs to LEDs (they not only draw a lot less current, but don't have the big surge current when they first turn on). TW user DKA confirmed that replacing the brake lights with LEDs took care of the "winking" problem when applying the brakes. Another possible option is replacing the rear turn signal bulbs with LED. They should keep the voltage spike from the brake bulbs from getting to the "hot" of the turn signals. This should also take care of the "winking" when the reverse lights come on. I don't believe this has been tested.
    Anytime you change your turn signals to LED you will get the dreaded hyper blink because the relay circuit thinks your turn signal is burned out (because the LEDs draw so much less current than incandescent bulbs). I highly recommend changing your turn signal relay to one meant for LEDs..... easy and doesn't need hot energy wasting load resistors. Here is one place that sells the LED relays http://www.autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

Reach up behind the valence and unscrew the socket from the turn signal housing. The socket and stock bulb hang from the wires. Unplug the bulb.
    [​IMG]

Update 1/29/2018
    I had a section describing how to make a 3rd contact (for the +12V that will light the white LEDs) out of a piece of wire, but it was half-ass and over the years the connection to the white LEDs has become bad a few times. Sometimes because moisture gets in there and sometimes because the "spring" made from the bent wire isn't pushing as much as it used to. I finally got around to looking for a more permanent solution.
    There were two options I was exploring:
    1. Keep the stock socket, but use an OEM pin so the connection should be as good as the ground and turn signal connections (as long as you seal it up just as well). I searched a lot and came across two OEM pins that may work.
      82998-12170
      82998-12340 Both of those appear to come with a few inches of wire so you don't need a crimping tool. You would just attach your 12V source for the white LEDs to the wire on those pins. I have not verified either work. 01/2020: tacoma_ca ordered a replacement pin off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MTKUMM "TOYOTA 82998-12440 Terminal, Repair W/W" and has confirmed it fits into our stock turn signal connectors.
    2. Replace the socket with a Toyota OEM socket that came with three wires. I went with this option. I looked on Ebay and eventually came across a listing "97-99 Toyota Front Turn Signal Wiring Connector Plug OEM". It looked to be the exact same connector on our Tacomas, but with all three positions filled and a few inches of wire on each position. I ordered them and they fit perfect. All I had to do was connect the turn signal, ground, and 12V for white LEDs to the three wires coming off the connector (I soldered and then used heat shrink tubing to cover). The Ebay page listed Toyota Avalon, Camry, and Corollas '97-'99 as using that connector.
    Here are the two sockets from Ebay. Different colors, but both fit great. You can see they have all three pins stuffed unlike our connectors that only have two pins stuffed.
    [​IMG]

The same connectors. Checking they mate with the turn signal bulb holder on our trucks.
    [​IMG]

The new wire has to go to a 12V source (to light the white LEDs in the switchback bulb). This could be the cigarette lighter circuit (so the running lights come on as soon as you start your truck) or you could wire it to the corner lights (would only come on if your parking lights or headlights are on). I have mine so they come on if the ignition is on. Insert your switchback LED light into the socket and make sure they operate correctly before you twist it back into the lens. You may have to pull out and rotate the bulb 180 degrees to get it to work (depends on the bulb you bought).

The white LEDs are more white/blue than my headlights. The LEDs would probably match HIDs well or a incandescent bulb like the Philips Crystal Vision bulbs. Like other LED turn signals, they will cause hyper blink without a "load resistor" or similar. I modified the flasher relay circuit ( http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1670194 ), but load resistors would be the easy fix.

Note that this is an old video from when I was using V-LED switchbacks (obsolete now). The Antline I now recommend work the same.... just not quite as bright.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0J7Bxkq0g8

Matt

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    very nice write up

3. Apr 8, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    Fuzzyman81

Fuzzyman81 The New Guy

Member:
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    Nice write up - I just looked at the price of those bulbs.. wow

4. Apr 8, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    nice soundtrack lol.
    i got all the beer you can drink if you take a road trip up here and do mine!

5. Apr 8, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    Sweet write up man, thanks, i might just have to do this, But $54.99 for a pair of the bulbs that s expensive!!!

6. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    brg88tx

brg88tx Well-Known Member

Member:
    i would like mine to stay running amber (when i turned on my parking lamps), how would i go about doing that?

7. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Sweet!

8. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    blake1012

blake1012 Go Braves!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.
    8000k HID's, Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners, Rhino Lined bed, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart wheels, bull bar, step rails, Redline Tuning hood struts, low profile tool box
    subscribed.

9. Apr 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    That is badass!

10. Apr 9, 2010 at 12:40 AM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    wow very nice job man :thumbsup:

11. Apr 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    dka

dka Well-Known Member

Member:
    i did this mod today and for some reason when ever i tap the brake either 1 or both or the white leds goes completely off has anyone ever ran into this problem ...(ohh and i spliced into the parking light wire the green 1)

12. Apr 27, 2010 at 12:05 AM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    dude ... that is fucking sick.. GREAT JOB imma do that now thats legit (sorry im in awe and am basking in the awesomeness of the mod)

13. Apr 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM
    mtucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    Do the white LEDs turn off for about a second and then back on? If so, then you are probably getting a voltage spike on the turn signal wire that makes the switchback bulbs think you turned on the blinker for a split second. I noticed this only on my driver's side bulb which helped me diagnose the problem. This looks like this is the rule instead of the exception for these bulbs on our trucks.

You can do one of two things.
    1. Solder a wire to your right (driver's side) rear turn signal socket (the ground of it) and run that to a nearby bolt that goes into the frame. I used about two feet of 16AWG wire.
    2. Switch either your rear turn signal bulbs or rear brake bulbs to LED (I have not confirmed this fix, but it should work).

For the full (long story) check this link
    http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1717705&postcount=38

Matt

14. Apr 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM
    dka

dka Well-Known Member

Member:
    ill try the second option i got a extra set of bulbs
    edit.. i got the wrong bulbs ill prob order some brake light leds ...
    so i ordered some 1157 dual intensity from superbrightleds so i hope it works

15. Apr 27, 2010 at 1:19 AM
    dka

dka Well-Known Member

Member:
    OHH and FYI to whomever buys off v-led there is a coupon to enter its E936K3 and u get 10% off

16. Apr 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Mr.Fahrenheit Dennis = sinneD

Member:
    American Canyon, California
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,
    the discount works, just bought some. i really like the way this looks and am gonna do it!!

17. Apr 30, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    dka

dka Well-Known Member

Member:
    well i got my led rear bulbs in and installed them and they seem to be the fix ill post im anytghing happens

18. May 1, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    mtucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Good to hear. Using LED rear brake lights or turn signals should fix the problem. For the record, you replaced your rear brake lights?

Matt

19. May 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    dka

dka Well-Known Member

Member:
    yes i used the 1157leds in the rear brake lights dont forget to get the dual intensity bulbs

20. May 11, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    only_K

only_K Future Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Currently searching for dream truck...
    TBD
    wonder if it will be relitavely the same for a 99

Products Discussed in