1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Painted Fender Flares?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dustinuhls, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:25 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    Some jackass hit my truck while it was parked on the street and decided not to tell me about it, so I get stuck with the repair bill instead of his insurance company. My fender flare was chipped and there's some small scratches on the fender, and the turn signal was broken. I bought some new clear turn signals off Ebay for $25 and I think they look good. The fender might be able to be buffed/polished out (still has a small dent), but the fender flares are painted to match my truck and the paint is chipped pretty bad.

Has anyone ever tried to paint the flares with Dupli-Color or something like it? I wasn't sure if I could paint a part that big and make it look ok. I did paint the lower headlight filler piece and it looks ok, but it is a very small part.

DSCF0114_976aa879400e6763df33b331402c26323f905c4f.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:26 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Had mine painted to match by a body shop... Never was very good at automotive paint...:)

3. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    swdockter

swdockter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    2" lift, 5100s, AAL, K&N, Deck Plate, 375K and counting
    Ya, you can do it yourself. SEM has great plastic paint. You would be best to pop the whole thing off. There are like 6-7 red and blue plastic clips. The clips will break when you take them off. No worries, Toyota has them in stock all the time :)

Scuff up the paint surface with 800P and shoot it. The biggest concern is matching the color. Might be better off having a body shop shoot it for you and you put it back on. Prepping and assembling will save you a couple bucks.

Never hurts to try it yourself. If it doesn't work out, then bring it in.

4. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    It's just that the way the paint chipped off in chunks, I don't know how I should approach repainting it. I don't think I can "feather" off sainding the good paint to the bad paint and repaint it. It seems like I'll have to strip the whole flare and repaint the whole thing.
    I just don't know if I do this myself with some Dupli-Color if it will look ok.

5. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    swdockter

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    Agreed. Take it off the truck, carefully peel the rubber seal off the flare and start wet sanding the thing down. You do not need to get every last spec of paint off it, just the loose stuff, maybe half way back. You need plastic paint, not sure dupli-color has it in your color for plastic. Plastic paints are different, they have a flexing agent in them. Google for an automotive paint supply company by you. Thinking about this more....you may find this cheaper to go to a body shop....but it's worth seeing what they can do for you.

Remember, if it doesn't come out right, then bring in in....:D

6. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    So if my flares were painted from the factory, they use a different type of paint for the plastic parts??? I might try painting it with the Dupli-Color paint I used on the headlight filler piece. It might look like shit, but then maybe I'll just Rhino Line all the flares along with my bed!!! ha ha ha I do like the body color matching my flares and bumpers though, I think it looks really good.

7. Apr 8, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    swdockter

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    There you go, now you got the idea..... just do it. If it looks like shit, bring it in. OR, roll it out with bed liner...lol.

Ya, factory (and professional body shops) use different paint for plastics. Amazing how they color match so well.

Here, do this then...scuff with a grey 3M pad. Do the best you can to remove the paint. Press the plastic and pick off the paint until you can no longer pick it off. Then wet sand with 800P, apply 2 very thing coats of primer. Lightly dry sand the primer to knock down the nibs and hit it with 3 or 4 coats of single stage dupli-color paint. First two coats, almost dry and the last one or two coats should be wet. Ya gotta take the thing off the body though....it's really easy, you'll see.

8. Apr 8, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    I have no problem removing the flare and sanding, etc. But, if I can get a body shop to paint it for under $100 I'll just pay them and forget about experimenting with the Dupli-Color paints....

9. Apr 8, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    I have no problem removing the flare and sanding, etc. But, if I can get a body shop to paint it for under $100 I'll just pay them and forget about experimenting with the Dupli-Color paints....

Still pisses me off that someone hit my truck and didn't tell me about it or at lease leave a note! Isn't that why we have insurance???

10. Apr 8, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    swdockter

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    To be honest, that's what I would do. Your truck looks to nice to half ass it. Maybe when it has 400K on it :) Then you can Rino that whole dam thing....

Insurance really sucks. To get decent rates, you have to have your deductible set at $1,000.....

11. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    mattleegee

mattleegee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO 6sp
    paint em black or roll on bedliner like suggested... it will go with what you got going on already (bug deflector, wheels, tint, lined bed)

12. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    Yep...i'd Herculine them:

Heres mine:

[​IMG]

13. Apr 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    low12

low12 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RUFFIAN
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 V6
    I had that happened to one of my toyota before, somebody hit the passenger side door. I called the cops and gave me a police report of 'Hit and Run' and submitted to my insurance company. Geico got it repaired no problem.

14. Apr 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Yeah there is a pretty sweet thread around here about some guy that painted his flares green. find it!

15. Apr 10, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    I still have a $500 deductible. Wouldn't I have to pay that even if it was a "hit and run"?

16. Apr 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Pretty sure, plus your rates might go up a bit. Not worth it for just a fender flare.

17. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    swervin22

swervin22 "Obviously, You're not a Golfer..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonas
    Chesapeake
    Vehicle:
    2004 Radiant Red Access Cab Off Road
    I didnt have to pay anything out of pocket. Took it in to Progressive, told them that somebody hit me. They filed it under "un-insured motorist" which kicked the deductible down to $200, but they paid it out of the claim money anyways......... so no big deal. Worth a shot, rates didnt go up either. With all the companies doing the accident forgiveness nowadays, I would definately give it a shot.

18. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    AlexanderD

AlexanderD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    03' tacoma 4x4 trd step-side
    I LIKE THIS IDEA! mine are all scratched up and don't really want to go to all the work of trying to fix the paint. i think i may just do this so i never have to worry about them again. in a gallon enough liner to do the bed aswell as the flairs?

19. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    you would probably be cuttin it close with a gallon. the only reason i say this is because if you want the flares to really last you need to do at least 2 coats and you really need to scratch em up. I put one coat and all i used was a green pad to scratch em and already the edges are coming up.

20. Apr 15, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here are the before and afters though. HUGE difference, i like it

Products Discussed in