Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Code P0441

Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
bsandb is on a distinguished road
bsandb's Tacoma Gallery
Code P0441

I am getting P0441 code and I really need some advice. I have put a new gas cap on, but when I pull my truck into the garage there is an overwhelming odor of gas fumes. If I put the old gas cap on the odor isn't as bad. The vacuum lines appear to be OK. If I clear the code it will stay off for 4-6 days and then come back on. The truck idles different when the CEL is on. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in adance!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
Put a factory Toyota gas cap back on. Make sure it clicks a few times. Then check. Fords are notorious for CEL from gas caps. Dunno 'bout Toyota though
Old 05-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
bsandb is on a distinguished road
bsandb's Tacoma Gallery
I finally took the truck to the dealership and had them put it on the diagnostic machine. They told me that it was the vacuum valve assembly. They ordered the part and put it on, and now my check engine light is out. Hopefully the light stays out. The truck does seem to idle better.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandb View Post
I finally took the truck to the dealership and had them put it on the diagnostic machine. They told me that it was the vacuum valve assembly. They ordered the part and put it on, and now my check engine light is out. Hopefully the light stays out. The truck does seem to idle better.
What is a vacuum valve assembly? Anyone know its primary function and where it is?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
What is a vacuum valve assembly? Anyone know its primary function and where it is?
I'm want to know as well. After I changed my O2 Senor from the p1135 my CEL has come on twice and the codes where p0441, 442, and 446. Stays off for 3 or 4 days and comes on again. No telling how long this was going on since my CEL stayed on for 3 years due to the p1135.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Sounds to me like they're refering the EVAP purge solenoid. It's the valve that allows the engine to suck in the gas vapors from the fuel tank. The vapors get stored in the charcol canister & the valve lets the intake suck in the vapors. On many cars the charcol canister is under the car in the rear close to the gas tank but on our trucks it's located under the hood.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4 View Post
Sounds to me like they're refering the EVAP purge solenoid. It's the valve that allows the engine to suck in the gas vapors from the fuel tank. The vapors get stored in the charcol canister & the valve lets the intake suck in the vapors. On many cars the charcol canister is under the car in the rear close to the gas tank but on our trucks it's located under the hood.
I dont think that is it. I threw a P0446 took it to the dealer and had them fix it. It ended up being the charcoal canister and the valve assembly/solenoid or whatever is right there on top of the charcoal canister. There are 1.5 million valve assemblies on our trucks so its hard to say which. Just look for a new part on or around your truck, take a pic and send it to us. Maybe it could help some folks out.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
yes please. I need to register my truck here in california and I will never pass smog if I have a cel......
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDan View Post
I dont think that is it. I threw a P0446 took it to the dealer and had them fix it. It ended up being the charcoal canister and the valve assembly/solenoid or whatever is right there on top of the charcoal canister. There are 1.5 million valve assemblies on our trucks so its hard to say which. Just look for a new part on or around your truck, take a pic and send it to us. Maybe it could help some folks out.
There could be one of many different issues to cause P0441/446.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...3/cip0441p.pdf
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The VSV for the EVAP is under the hood on a 3RZ and 5VZ.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...fe3/parloc.pdf
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Air Force:
I'm hoping in my case it was just my gas cap. The last time I put gas in it I noticed it was harder to get the cap to click. Once I put the extra effort into it I got it to click twice. Use to just click 3 times no issue.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
well this has been the code im getting and already bought a brand new toyota gas cap. guess ill check the vapor pressure switch next. good thread by the way.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
rubens281 is on a distinguished road
Name: auto dr
rubens281's Tacoma Gallery
P0441purge flow insufficient my diagnosis was the vsv with the hoses.going to the manifold and charcoal canister tried activating with solus pro scan tool would not open put a,screw driver to it to listen to it is was ticking on off but not opening at all and problem fixed with new vsv