Notices

Fabtech 3" Coilover lift (help)

Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Rstandridge is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: BM2
Name: Rich
Rstandridge's Tacoma Gallery
Fabtech 3" Coilover lift (help)

I have just recently bought set of dirt logic coilovers for my 99 tacoma and it says on the instructions not to go over 2 inches. I was looking for 3 inches to clear 33x10.5 R15's. Is this because of my Cv joints? How do i get the full 3 inches without damage. Also what is recommended to match the rear to fit the same tires. This is all new to me so any help would be great!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, it's because of your cv's. basically, crank them down to the point where you still have an acceptable cv angle and call it a day. might have to down grade in tire size. you'll want something like a 1.5" AAL out back to level the truck with 2" and some change up front
Old 04-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
I have the fabtech coilovers and am no where near 3" of lift, and fit in 33s, actually 285/75/16, but they are 33s.

I'll measure my lifted truck compared to my stock one tonight and let you know how much I actually have.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
just get a diff drop kit, and then you can get your 3" lift. The diff drop lowers your diff. about 1" and helps with your cv joints.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Thanks

What diff. drop kit is good? Also do I need to get some new shocks for the rear to lift it higher? Thanks alot by the way.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrokiwi View Post
I have the fabtech coilovers and am no where near 3" of lift, and fit in 33s, actually 285/75/16, but they are 33s.

I'll measure my lifted truck compared to my stock one tonight and let you know how much I actually have.
I will be anxiously waiting, much appreciated!! What did you do to the rear to even yours out to the front?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
go to toytec, there a vendor here. And they have everything you will need. The diff. drop, and AAL's and shocks.
2" AAL's (add a leaf) will lift your rear level with your front, and you will also need new rear shocks. The bilstein 5100's are awsome!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstandridge View Post
I will be anxiously waiting, much appreciated!! What did you do to the rear to even yours out to the front?

So this is measured from centre of hub to the edge of the wheel flare/fender. I have 2.25" lift with the fabtech. No rubbing issues. But i did have to bend over the pinch weld.

In the back is a one inch block (truck came like this) and is sagging, so it will soon to be dakars in the rear giving about 2" of lift
Old 04-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
just get a diff drop kit, and then you can get your 3" lift. The diff drop lowers your diff. about 1" and helps with your cv joints.
It only lowers the front of the diff 1". That equatees to about .5" drop at the axels, and given the length of the axels, only comes out to about a 2* change....If that. The Diff drop is not worth it. In some cases, it has made things worse.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
I should have noted that also, I don't have a diff drop kit. Never saw the point as Chris says.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Thanks alot guys! I am now looking at the 2" AAL and blistein 5100 shocks for the rear. Do you guys recommend to convert the auto to the manul locking hub for full 3" on the front. If so would the 2" in the rear match the front? I think i am saying it right anyways?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
steveneddy is on a distinguished road
Name: steven
steveneddy's Tacoma Gallery
another thing you might wanna look at is a rough country lift they aren't the most plush riding but i think i paid about 165 on ebay the spacers for front are actually only 1.5 " but that spacing and added compression gives 3" there aluminum so they dont squash over time have had on for two years kit comes with add a leafs for rear still a little higher in the back, kit comes with the little one inch spacers for front diff and longer bolts for instillation, with a medium offset 9" wide wheel i was able to run 285's , sure this lift isn't for everyone but two years no broken axles have noticed putting cv axle at more angle is causing wear in a circle around the boot but no leaks or tears yet
Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
If we're talking about the Cepek Rough Country, you can have it. It was /is the biggest piece of shit lift around, & I mean that goes all the way back to their developement days & inception right here in El Cajon,CA. Dick Cepek was a mediocre offroad racer at best, I think he co-piloted with Parnelli Jones one time on the Baja 1000, but Jones declined to invite him back ,was quoted as saying that "He slows me down." So Cepek joined Armstrong rubber developement or some shit & came up with the tire thing first ( GOOD IDEA ) then the suspension & lift kits ( HORRIBLE IDEA ) You guys think Toyota has shitty leaf springs, the Cepek design/build was all about making it look like you could go "Robby Gordon" with ease at any moment , when in reality, one good weekend of easy 4 wheeling was more than enough to flatten out the leaf packs front & rear & completely blow any seals you had in those cheap shitty Monroe shocks they'd buy off the shelf, drain'em & refill with a heavier ,inferior hydraulic fluid & sell them as re-engineered valve bodys & shafts, absolute Bullshit ( No gas shocks in those days guys)
I almost went to work for them doing installs back in the early 80's, but a friend of mine talked me out of it saying " Look man, you don't want people to think that YOUR responsible for the crap you're installing on their trucks." & more I thought about it , the more sense it made...

Thats all I got to say about Cepek Products, from past experience, I'm not a fan.....
Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #14

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It only lowers the front of the diff 1". That equatees to about .5" drop at the axels, and given the length of the axels, only comes out to about a 2* change....If that. The Diff drop is not worth it. In some cases, it has made things worse.
Wow.... didnt know that! New wrinkle! But it has to make somewhat of a difference, I would think.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Wow.... didnt know that! New wrinkle! But it has to make somewhat of a difference, I would think.

In many cases, It makes vibes worse.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
tacomamonster is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: machinery tech
tacomamonster's Tacoma Gallery
i got three inches in the front and two in the back and can fit 285/75/16 with minimal rub at full flex no diff drop everthing work great no just gota get rid of the open diff in front and back with air lockers next buy i should be all set. just wish i didnt have a 4cyl but its all good.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Can you give some more detail on that?

What was the situation where things got worse? Were new vibes introduced by adding the diff drop kit or were there already vibes and adding the 1" drop made them worse?

Was it on a 1st gen or 2nd gen truck?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Can you give some more detail on that?

What was the situation where things got worse? Were new vibes introduced by adding the diff drop kit or were there already vibes and adding the 1" drop made them worse?

Was it on a 1st gen or 2nd gen truck?

Thanks for the feedback.
Most of the issues I have heard, have been on the second gens. The first gens dont seem to have front end vibes when lifting.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #20
Got everthing in and the install will be this weekend hopefully! Thanks to all for the advice and help. Great forum!!!!