Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

exhaust help

Old 04-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
69blackwhss is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
69blackwhss's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation exhaust help

hey guys new to the forum but owned my 03 step side since new love it. but last week the cel came on. auto zone read the cel an said it was o2 sensor left bank 1. an then they cleared the code. it came back on in bot 2 days. i was looking for a o2 sensor an went back up to auto zone an had it re read to make sure i get the rite o2 sensor i needed. Now it is sayin the code p0420 the cat code.
since i have to do the sensors are the cats. i was goin to do the full exhaust for more hp an tq an the sound lol. i found headers for 285.00 on ebay the obx headers. an i was wanting to know do i have to have the cats on it still i know i got to use the o2 sensors tho. an i was goin to use a flowmaster 40 detal muffler.
what do u all think bot the exhaust i want to use an the question bot the cats if i have to use them r not? an i dont want the light to say on ether.
an the truck is a v6 sr5 trd 5 speed with 67,000 miles on it an a 2003 an xtcab. 4x4 step side bed
thanks for any help guys an sorry for a short story here lol. just need help an dont want to leave anything out. an sorry bot the spelling too.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
tacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: scott
tacoman101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69blackwhss View Post
hey guys new to the forum but owned my 03 step side since new love it. but last week the cel came on. auto zone read the cel an said it was o2 sensor left bank 1. an then they cleared the code. it came back on in bot 2 days. i was looking for a o2 sensor an went back up to auto zone an had it re read to make sure i get the rite o2 sensor i needed. Now it is sayin the code p0420 the cat code.
since i have to do the sensors are the cats. i was goin to do the full exhaust for more hp an tq an the sound lol. i found headers for 285.00 on ebay the obx headers. an i was wanting to know do i have to have the cats on it still i know i got to use the o2 sensors tho. an i was goin to use a flowmaster 40 detal muffler.
what do u all think bot the exhaust i want to use an the question bot the cats if i have to use them r not? an i dont want the light to say on ether.
an the truck is a v6 sr5 trd 5 speed with 67,000 miles on it an a 2003 an xtcab. 4x4 step side bed
thanks for any help guys an sorry for a short story here lol. just need help an dont want to leave anything out. an sorry bot the spelling too.
You'll like the Flowmaster 40 Series, its got a good hum to it. But if your looking for performance that muffler won't exactly give it to you. The Flowmaster mufflers are more for sound. If you want performance exhaust I'd look into Magnaflow, or Dynomax.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman101 View Post
You'll like the Flowmaster 40 Series, its got a good hum to it. But if your looking for performance that muffler won't exactly give it to you. The Flowmaster mufflers are more for sound. If you want performance exhaust I'd look into Magnaflow, or Dynomax.
really i have been on youtube an trying to find a good sound for me i like hot rods i have a 69 camaro with a 454. i hate the ricer sounds thats just me tho. but would u know if i can get red of the cats if i did all the exhaust? with out it givin be the cel in the face.
thanks jason
Old 04-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
I would replace the O2 sensors first, chances are you won't need an exhaust. The secondary O2 monitors the cat to see is it working. So if that fails or gives a false reading, then it maybe tripping a code for the cat.
Start with the O2s first, you need them anyway.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrokiwi View Post
I would replace the O2 sensors first, chances are you won't need an exhaust. The secondary O2 monitors the cat to see is it working. So if that fails or gives a false reading, then it maybe tripping a code for the cat.
Start with the O2s first, you need them anyway.
how do u know if a cat is goin bad? i got under the truck today with it runin an listed an tryed to feel for any leaks didnt find any but the 2nd cat was makin nosies like metal was in side it an just rolling around? is that mean is a bad car conv.?
jason
Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
tttt,,,
Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
i would probably just start with 2 new o2 sensors to clear the CEL of those codes then put in a URD o2 sensor simulator to clear the CEL of code P0420, cheaper fix then a whole new cat put its kind of like just puttin a band aid on what could be a more serious problem. You will definitly need to have the cats in place to pass any sort of emission test. Its all up to you though.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
check http://www.autopartswarehouse.com or http://www.rockauto.com for some good prices on o2 sensors
Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
NewEnglander
krlang is on a distinguished road

krlang's Tacoma Gallery
Hey,
I was getting the bad cat code when I was running cheap gas and my O2 sensor was on its way out. I put a tankful of super and drove it hard and it went away.

Since then I have replaced my Rear sensor 2 times, the front once and a new muffler. No lights in a while. The second rear sensor was replaced due to poor installation at the muffler shop.

I bought them on Amazon, Wagner or Bosch, they were the best deal I found.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Denso and Bosch seem to be the better o2 sensors to buy. From what i hear anyway.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
thanks guys for all ur help!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitroc View Post
i would probably just start with 2 new o2 sensors to clear the CEL of those codes then put in a URD o2 sensor simulator to clear the CEL of code P0420, cheaper fix then a whole new cat put its kind of like just puttin a band aid on what could be a more serious problem. You will definitly need to have the cats in place to pass any sort of emission test. Its all up to you though.
i live in kentucky so i dont have to deal with emission tests .. what do u mean a urd o2 sensor simulator?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i live in kentucky so i dont have to deal with emission tests .. what do u mean a urd o2 sensor simulator?
the simulator is for people who run high flow catalytic convertors or no cats at all. the ecu will sometimes trip the codes P0420 or P0430. and one way to get rid of the Check engine light is to install the simulator.

if you want to take a look at it heres a link
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1230100014
Old 04-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #14
Quote:
the simulator is for people who run high flow catalytic convertors or no cats at all. the ecu will sometimes trip the codes P0420 or P0430. and one way to get rid of the Check engine light is to install the simulator.

thanks man and would i still have to run the o2 sensors? if i use the simulator?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #15
Quote:

ok my bad i just read the link an u do have to have the o2 hooked up u just hook into the wires i say. but what if the cat is bad an u didnt know it wouldnt ur gas miles go down are ur truck run bad if the rear o2 was bad. an the simulator told the ecm it was good?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok my bad i just read the link an u do have to have the o2 hooked up u just hook into the wires i say. but what if the cat is bad an u didnt know it wouldnt ur gas miles go down are ur truck run bad if the rear o2 was bad. an the simulator told the ecm it was good?
If the cat goes to shit your going to get bad mpgs and it will also work like shit to, same thing if you have bad o2 sensors. the simulator only tricks the ecu into thinking nothings wrong,doesnt fix it.That is for trucks that actually have a bad cat. The people with highflow cats or no cats will trip those codes stated earlier because the ecu thinks theres something wrong with the cats but there really insnt(because theres nothing there or its aftermarket).
Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #17
Quote:
If the cat goes to shit your going to get bad mpgs and it will also work like shit to, same thing if you have bad o2 sensors. the simulator only tricks the ecu into thinking nothings wrong,doesnt fix it.That is for trucks that actually have a bad cat. The people with highflow cats or no cats will trip those codes stated earlier because the ecu thinks theres something wrong with the cats but there really insnt(because theres nothing there or its aftermarket).

thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
no problem