1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cat Stolen - Straight pipe installed and now sputtering badly

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sippi, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Apr 11, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Sippi

Sippi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Vehicle:
    El Taco Negro - 2017 Sport DC 4x4 6MT
    OVTune 2.0 TC Electronic BHLM 4R Sema with Nitto G2s Swing Case OEM Goodies Pro Items
    Yes my cat was stolen off my 98 2.7 4x4, so instead of purchasing a 900 toyota cat from the stealership I had a straight pipe installed. The rear 02 sensor bung was removed when they sawed off the cat.

I know the sputtering is due to the 02 sensor not connected but even if I have a muffler shop do the job for me I will still run into codes. Even worse my truck will continue to sputter.

So I am writing to see if anyone has had a similar experience and what are some measures I can take to handle this.

I have read about the dummy 02 sensors but I wanted some feedback from some members that have had this issue and resolved it.

Thanks,

Sip

2. Apr 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    h_curtis

h_curtis Well-Known Member

Member:
    If mine was stolen, I would get a high quality catalytic converter that has the proper receiver and plug it back in. I am sure there is a way to mess about doing something different, but you are dealing with lots of things here. Engines are designed from the factory to have a certain amount of back pressure not to mention the cat's sensor was giving the computer information so it adjusts several things to make the truck run efficiently. Back in the day, you could rip a cat off and mess around with a host of things so easily. If you are running a stock motor with no mods, then to me your are not going to get a good result.

3. Apr 11, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I agree. The cat is more for smog, but that o2 is part of the engine management system. I'd get that fixed or you might be buying a new engine.

4. Apr 11, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    stenyeart

stenyeart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    3" Toytec Lift w/ AAL, TRD CAI, Leer 700 Series, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Locker Anytime Mod, LR UCA's, OEM Roof Rack, Satoshi grill with Devil Horns Emblem, USA Spec PA-15 Toy Ipod Integration, Redline Tuning Hood Struts and EZ Down Tailgate.
    Get an aftermarket one from a local auto parts store. Get one that is made for your vehicle so it has the right mount for the O2 sensor. I am sure you could pick one up for around $200. I am not a big fan of the dummy O2 sensors, I have tried them before and it is not the same as stock. Spend the money and fix it right so you dont have problems down the road.

5. Apr 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    NickJ*97756

NickJ*97756 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    La Grande OR
    Vehicle:
    95 Red Ext. Cab
    Black Ultra Type 175 Rogue wheels, 33x12.50's, exhaust, sony deck,JL tweeters, hella 500ff's, painted rear bumper, brush guard, tail lights, kc's, custom tube bumper,5100's w/trd springs, toytec aal, custom tire carrier
    i had a magnaflow high flow cat installed at a local shop for $180. Gave it a better tone too.

6. Apr 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    Sippi

Member:
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Vehicle:
    OVTune 2.0 TC Electronic BHLM 4R Sema with Nitto G2s Swing Case OEM Goodies Pro Items
    Thanks guys for the responses...

7. Apr 14, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    Sippi

Member:
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Vehicle:
    So I checked my codes today and here is what is going on (Via AutoZone)

- P0125 - Insufficient coolant temp for closed loop
    - Fuel Control
    Possible causes include: Faulty Thermostat, Low Coolant Level, Faulty ECT

- P0171 - Air/Fuel Mixture System Lean Bank 1
    Possible Causes Include: Low Fuel Pressure, Faulty MAF/VAF sensor, Cylinder Misfire Condition, Faulty H02S/AF Sensor, Large Vacuum Leak

I cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner earlier today and it seemed to help in the beginning. After a few minutes of driving it started again to sputter. I barely nursed her home at the end of the drive.

8. Apr 14, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Cement
    Quikfix seat risers and lic plate mount, MESO interior and stage 1 tails, glove box and console dividers, shelf for center console, FACTOR 55 hitch link, TC bed stiffeners, OE bed mat,
    The front O2 sensor will affect the running of the vehicle.
    The rear O2 sensor is there to check if the Cat is working. It has no effect on how the engine runs.

Fix the first code and get the engine up to temp so it goes into closed loop. then check for vacum leaks.

9. Apr 14, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Who would steal a cat? They are a pain the ass. Scratching, biting, all that fur. Ohhhh, I see now.

10. Apr 14, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    Sippi

Member:
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Vehicle:
    I loved my kitty too...

Damn thief

11. Apr 14, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

Check you fluid level, then check your thermostat by placing it in 185° water. It should open and then begin to close as it cools down. If those check good, then replace the ECT. If you replace the ECT, DO NOT PUT TEFLON TAPE ON IT.

The 171 means you need to clean your MAF with electronic or MAF cleaner. Becareful as it is fragile.

12. Apr 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    I had a 240sx a few years ago and removing the rear 02 sensor made the rest of the sensors throw codes for some reason, so I just plugged it back in even though it wasn't in the exhaust system anymore and the codes went away.

Products Discussed in

To Top