Meguiar's/One-Step headlight restoration kit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
bwilliamson is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Brad
bwilliamson's Tacoma Gallery
Meguiar's/One-Step headlight restoration kit

Has anyone used this stuff and if so how well did it work for you?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
new and improved
bill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shedbill-e-boy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: billy
bill-e-boy's Tacoma Gallery
good results

I used it with two set of slightly hazed headlights on my truck and the wife's Xterra. The xterra's headlights were worse than mine, I followed the step-by-step instructions. Both turned out very nice. And have lasted about a month now. I used the power drill buff type kit also.

I'm also thinking of clear coating the headlights with some type of sealant so they'll last longer.....though it only took 10 minutes or also to buff them clear.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
IDK if this is the same thing but this process worked well for me

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98230
Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
HeadlampRevamp's Tacoma Gallery
I own a headlight restoration business. If you want the restoration to last any time at all you will need to apply a UV sealant/clear coat to the lens after the restoration is complete.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2074____

Crystal View - I used this on my truck last summer, and the headlight's still just as clear as the day I did it. It was so bad before I tried this, it was completely opaque, I didn't know what was underneath and it cast a dim yellow glow at night. This stuff works great, no signs of fading after almost a full year and I don't have a garage so the trucks outside 24/7. From the reading and research I did before i bought it, the other stuff fades pretty quickly.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
that stuff works great, i did it about a year ago and it still looks pretty good but i could probably do it again anyway. I seen on "Trucks" the other day they used toothpaste, it worked pretty good considering. they only did half off the headlight to show the difference. definitly a noticable improvement. Apparently the grittier the toothpaste is the better.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Tacoma addict
mtucker has a spectacular aura aboutmtucker has a spectacular aura aboutmtucker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Matt
mtucker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlampRevamp View Post
I own a headlight restoration business. If you want the restoration to last any time at all you will need to apply a UV sealant/clear coat to the lens after the restoration is complete.
What off the shelf UV sealer do you recommend?

Matt
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
SunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
SunDevilTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitroc View Post
that stuff works great, i did it about a year ago and it still looks pretty good but i could probably do it again anyway. I seen on "Trucks" the other day they used toothpaste, it worked pretty good considering. they only did half off the headlight to show the difference. definitly a noticable improvement. Apparently the grittier the toothpaste is the better.
I used Crest on mine a few weeks back just to kill some time. It worked pretty good but I'm sure not as well as the better products out there. But my lights sure look a hell of a lot better!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post

Matt
The Crystal View product comes with a sealer, everything you need in 1 pack for 1 headlight. You might be able to stretch it and do both, but I only used it for 1.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I was watching Trucks on Powerblock on Saturday and they were restoring a headlight...d/l that episode and check it out.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post

Matt

Sorry, I can't really help there, as I don't buy my sealer off the shelf, I used a company called dvelup.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
DONT DO IT! That Meguars stuff is just a polish that temporarily fixes it. The only real way to "restore" a headlight is by resurfacing it. I used the 3M kit sold at WalMart. It was about $20 and came with several different sanding disks, a polishing pad, polish, instructions. It came out ok but doesn't look anything near what it should look like. Plus, i did mine mounted on the truck and took off some paint in some areas.

My opinion: just buy new headlights.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
transmission oil works great too.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
IDK if this is the same thing but this process worked well for me

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98230

Yay!! now I have a "mod" to do this weekend. Of note: when wet sanding, soak the paper until it is quite soft before you start sanding. This will prevent the paper backing from creasing a causing more scratches. Learned this from an article about Larry Watson. I believe he paints things for a living...
Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFootCaliKid View Post
DONT DO IT! That Meguars stuff is just a polish that temporarily fixes it. The only real way to "restore" a headlight is by resurfacing it. I used the 3M kit sold at WalMart. It was about $20 and came with several different sanding disks, a polishing pad, polish, instructions. It came out ok but doesn't look anything near what it should look like. Plus, i did mine mounted on the truck and took off some paint in some areas.

My opinion: just buy new headlights.

Don't buy new headlights. Send them to me and I'll restore them to NEW at a fraction of the costs of new headlights. New headlights are a waste of money unless your headlights are cracked/damaged/or have moisture in them.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilTacoma View Post
I used Crest on mine a few weeks back just to kill some time. It worked pretty good but I'm sure not as well as the better products out there. But my lights sure look a hell of a lot better!
right on,yah definitly not as good as the other products but what the hell right, its free. well kind of
Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
SunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunDevilTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
SunDevilTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitroc View Post
right on,yah definitly not as good as the other products but what the hell right, its free. well kind of
it was a sample tube from the dentist so actually it was free. well, kind of.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilTacoma View Post
it was a sample tube from the dentist so actually it was free. well, kind of.
hahaha
Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #20
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
3M kit if you DIY

Did mine 7 months ago and they still look good

Products Discussed in this Thread