Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY: Remove bumper end caps /// bumper removal 1st gen

Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
DIY: Remove bumper end caps /// bumper removal 1st gen

So since there wasnt really anything out there besides "just remove some bolts" I figured i would make up something

I wanted to paint my CHROME bumper end caps and didnt know how to get them off so took off the whole bumper which is pretty much required.

Tools needed:

Flat head screwdriver
10mm socket
14mm socket
6" extension

Time: 15min-1hr

The bumper is pretty basic, i have a 2000 Tacoma but 1st gens should be pretty much similar

There are four clips/bolts on each side
This is what is taken off of each side

In front of the tire pull out the clip directly in front, you have to reach up on the back side and twist it out, this will allow you to access to a 10mm nut/washer combo you have to pull
(no picture of this but next step will let you figure it out, if you can just pull the splash guard enough to take off the 10mm bolt in next step then you can skip this step)

Remove the 10mm nut/washer, this points straight up and down, its on the outside edge of the bumper

Next underneath the bumper there are 2 clips that you need to pull out with a flat head screw driver, they point straight to the ground and are holding the bumper extenders in place

Then the easy part, remove the 14mm bolts, 2 on each side attached to the frame.

Then just jiggle it off.

Bumper end cover removal

With the bumper off now there are a few 10mm bolts/screws to remove, there is a metal guard on the outside held on by 3 of them, once you get the guard off there will be a 10mm bolt that actually attaches to the bumper end piece

This frees the "big side"

Now on the other end you need to take off the three 10mm bolts

After this, press in the "tabs" on the bumper end and it should just fall out with a little effort

Im in the process of painting them so i will post some more pictures when they are availiable....
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Here is some more pictures, for paint i used Krylon black with clearcoats for the grille (which i need to paint because i missed a spot) and i used Duplicolor bed spray for the bumper ends (couldnt get the krylon to stick well to the chrome)

Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Before and after of front end

Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great bro! Awesome Write up!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
That looks sooo much better. Great job.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Thanks guys, im loving it!
Actually got a compliment while getting gas after work today on how "nice" the truck looked

Now i just got to "fix" the rear bumper
Old 10-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
looks nice man!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
That does look nice, I want to do some painting on my front bumper was it much of a job getting it removed from the truck?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
This looks amazing! Makes me wanna color match might front end
Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
AnonTaco is on a distinguished road
AnonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I need to replace my rear bumper but am automotively retarded, so if you could do the same thing for the rear or point me to somewhere that breaks it down that would be awesome. Truck does look better.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
That looks a lot better than the chrome. Good job!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonTaco View Post
I need to replace my rear bumper but am automotively retarded, so if you could do the same thing for the rear or point me to somewhere that breaks it down that would be awesome. Truck does look better.
The rear bumper is similar, actually easier. Just peek in there and you should see which bolts to remove - there are brackets that bolt to the frame. The difficult part is to get rusted bolts to release. (They will all be real easy to get out and then you will get to that last one; always the last one that will not come loose - )
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
TacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud of
TacoSurf4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Looks cleen man. Before and After pic is awesome... always wanted to see those two together.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write up! I'll be saving this thread for the summer when it gets a bit warmer around here for spray painting my chrome and bumper grill + emblem