1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got My New Viper Remote Start/Keyless

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dustinuhls, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Apr 15, 2010 at 3:31 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    I just got my Viper 5301 remote start/keyless entry installed the other day, and it's really nice!

The 2-way remote tells you if your truck actually started or not, and if the doors are locked/unlocked, etc. It's a good system. It says it has a 2000' range, but I haven't tested the full distance. I started it while I was at work and it was parked over a block away. Not sure on the exact distance, but I know that brick walls, etc. impede you reception. If you can point it towards a window that you can get it to work for a long ways.

It does have some really cool functions. I can push a button and check the interior temp. of my truck after I've started it. I don't like the big blue flashing light in my window, however, but maybe it'll be a theft deterrent.

I've only had it for 2 days, but hopefully I'll be able to figure out all the functions that I'm able to do with this system.

2. Apr 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    HeadlampRevamp

HeadlampRevamp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Buckner, ky
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Sounds really nice. Did you install it yourself? Where did you get it? And how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

3. Apr 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    I got it at Best Buy and they did the install. It was $305 with tax and install. The next Viper model down is almost $100 cheaper, but it only has the one-way remote so it doesn't tell you if the truck actually started or not, internal temps, whether or not your doors are locked/unlocked, etc. It's a really nice feature.

4. Apr 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    that sounds great! you hear about viper through adds and people reffering to it all the time, but this is the first, true, first-hand acount i've heard about one. great...another thing to add to the list :/

5. Apr 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    I know what you mean! I searched these threads before and asked about the different remote start systems and never found any real answers.

I bought this b/c I won a contest at work and got a $200 Best Buy gift card and said "screw it, it's only costing me $105 out of pocket" and just went and bought it.

Like I said, I've only had it a few days now, but I love it. I read some online reviews that people said the buttons were too sensitive and they would accidentally start or unlock their vehicle while the remote was in their pocket. No problems with that b/c it has an "auto lock" feature that locks the remote buttons 30 or 60 secs (depending on how you want it programmed) after you get out of the truck so it can't go off in your pocket. The Best Buy tech was really good at suggesting what would be the best set up for me.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you may have about this system and I will do my best to give you a "first hand" account of what I think.

6. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    shaff33

shaff33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma double cab
    I got my Viper this past November. Let me tell you what, all winter that starter was GREAT!!! I would start it about 15 minutes before I needed to leave for work and by that time my truck was nice and warm! I got the $100 less version but it is still good for 2000 feet. I have used it when leaving the mall before even going out the doors and when I get to my truck, it is started and warm.

I do notice that my gas mileage is a little worse because I start the truck when its cold, but I think it's well worth it!

I cant wait to get the AC cranking this summer so I have a nice cool truck!

The toughest part of having the remote starter is remembering to leave your heater on high (or AC for the summer). I can't tell you how many times i forgot to turn the heat up or leave it on high. Either way, it takes just a few seconds to get the truck warm!

Well worth the money!!!

Shaff

7. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    h_curtis

h_curtis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you install this with manual locks?

8. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    Yes, but you will still have manual door locks

9. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    They have a cheaper one at Best Buy that I looked at that was JUST a remote start (no keyless entry). I already had the factory keyless, but wanted everything on one remote.

So yes, you can add the remote start for a lot cheaper w/o the keyless entry. You could buy the one I got, but you're just wasting money since you won't be able to use the keyless entry.

10. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    I have a 2010 and had a Viper 5100 remote start installed a week after I got my truck, its a good alarm.
    I have been using DEI products for years and have never had any problems.

11. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    The smart start is badass if you have an I-Phone. Its $299 and ties into your alarm, then you download the smart start app on your phone and you are set. You can perform any function of the alarm from your phone and it will work from anywhere as long as you have cell service.
    You could be 1 mile or 1000 miles away and operate your alarm with your phone.
    I would like that feature because I could just leave my key in the console or under the floormat and lock my truck with my phone and not have any keys in my pocket.

12. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    great insight guys. dustinhuls, you said it was about $300 from best buy with the install. i'm a big do-it-yourself kinda guy, so i was wondering how much just the kit itsself is. the two way system, that is. i love that the truck can send info back to you.

13. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    HeadlampRevamp

HeadlampRevamp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Buckner, ky
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Does the alarm only sound if entry is made into the vehicle, or if someone messes with with door handle?

14. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    DSCF0119-1_1ecf10e6c9af919f2d7e21bc6e632bc3af7b61b8.jpg

They price it in the store at $299, but I think it was on sale for $279 when I bought it. The price includes the basic install. I'm not sure if they'll let you just buy the remote start w/o the install option, but it's worth asking.

I'm a big do-it-yourselfer too, but I didn't want to tackle this job. I've done a lot of car stereos and do my own mechanical work on my truck, but this one looked pretty complicated. There was only ONE guy at my local Best Buy who was certified to install these systems if that gives you any inclination of hard it would be to install. Their regular "car stereo" install guys were not certified to do it.

I'd suggest paying the extra $115 and having them do it. If you do, they guarantee it and if you have any problems they'll fix it.

Another note: If you have a chip in your key you have to pay for a bypass module, but I'm not sure how much that is... My '01 Taco doesn't have the security chip in the key.

15. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    hmm, interesting...i wonder if there's a wireing schematic out there. i'd like to see one before i buy (installed by them or not). that does make me lean more towards the professional instalation though.
    to my knowledge, tacos (either generation) don't have chips in the keys themselves.
    thanks for scanning the reciept by the way, big help :)

16. Apr 17, 2010 at 12:49 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    I bought and installed a 5901 (5301 with alarm features, lcd remote, 1 mile range) a few months ago and love it. I mostly got it for the keyless entry though, but decided since I was going to install it, might as well go with a full alarm/remote start.

As far as installing it yourself, its fairly easy. I had my dash completely apart to try to fix up the rattle issue permanently, so it really wasn't an issue to do the wiring at the same time. If you pull some of the lower molding off, it's really quite simple as most of the connections can be made really close to the back of the in cab fuse panel and the stuff that needs to be run to the engine bay is quite easy to go through the firewall there. There's wiring write-ups on this forum, as well as other places.

17. Apr 17, 2010 at 1:46 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    n m

I don't know when or if Tacomas added chips to their keys, but I think I've seen them on the newer ones. Not 100% sure though. Who has one? You'll know if you have the chip in your key or not.

Like I said earlier, I've done a lot of car stereo installs, etc., but this looked like more than I wanted to mess with. It's wired into the brake system, so that if your truck is started and someone breaks in, there is an auto kill switch connected to the brake system. If you don't put the key in the ignition first, the truck shuts off. If you just get in and push the brake to put it in gear, the truck will die. You have to put the key in and turn it to the ON position

I was looking through my box of stuff that came with my remote, and it does have an installation guide for any of you who may want to try it by yourselves... I would personally pay the extra $115 and have them do it and be guaranteed. Just my opinion.

There is an installation guide that come with this system in the box, but I still wouldn't want to try do do it myself.

18. Apr 17, 2010 at 1:50 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    This is what the remote looks like. The LED lights are hidden in the left hand side of the remote in the small grey trim piece. You can't see them until they light up.

DSCF0120_b7890b2803502e0727bb1c04b2d34ef81bf88a3d.jpg

19. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:04 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Thats the same alarm I have, it comes with 2 remotes but only one of them have the lights.

To clarify, there is a chip in the 2nd gen keys, you can't tell by looking at them. That being said you definitely have to buy the bypass module for the remote start to function. I think it was $65 extra.

20. Apr 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    tacoman78

tacoman78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Limited Dbl Cab Prerunner
    Deck Mod
    I've had the Viper 791x on my Matrix for over 3 years. DEI is amazing. I love all the features they offer on their alarms. My Trix is an Xrs model with the 6sp manual and I was able to find the manual remote start module, very cool, won't let the remote start feature work unless the car is in neutral and the e-brake is on. I have to say living in So Cal the remote start in the summers is amazing, never again having to get into a hot car, oh it's orgasmic.

It's been awhile since I purchased my alarm but I searched on ebay for it and bought it for $125, granted that was over 3 years ago and I had to have a shop here locally install it. If you buy the alarm online, make sure you take to someone that is a certified installer for DEI products otherwise DEI won't honor their coverage policy, check their website. Not just any stereo installer can install a DEI product, well technically they can, but DEI won't honor the work.

My alarm is one of my favorite things about my Trix, I wish I could take it off before I sell it, but it's worth more with the alarm on it, and it would cost more than I paid for the unit and install to have it taken off, so it's not worth it. I just have to get another one when I sell my car and get my Taco....oh what a glorious day that will be. Can't wait to get it.

All in all I love my alarm system, only bad thing about it is that some of the alarm systems don't come with a bump sensor (the part that alerts the alarm to chime when the car is hit or bumped). But you can find those online for really cheap if you look hard enough, as well you can get the glass break sensor (essentially a microphone that is in the car that listens for breaking glass).

DEI makes tons of additional modules that do some pretty cool things, check their website for more info, they truly are some fo the best alarms, and theirs a reason why many people install them on the 6 figure vehicles.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top