Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

fuel filter replacement?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
fuel filter replacement?

I seafoamed everything about a week ago (crank case, brake booster, fuel tank) and I read somewhere that you should replace the fuel filter after running the entire tank with the seafoa. since I was planning on doing it today along with new plugs and an oil change I did a little reading up on it and iv come upon people saying on the v6 the fuel filter is lifetime and cannot be replaced??? anyone have any insight into this?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
It can be replaced. Look under the driver's side (about where the seat is) on the frame rail. It's right there.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea iv already looked at it and kind of eyed out how to replace it and it shouldnt be hard but I dont want to replace something that isnt supposed to be replaced.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
TKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Todd
TKGN1's Tacoma Gallery
Just replaced mine last month. Won't hurt a thing.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #5

awsome. Question for you then. I cant figure out how to relieve the fuel pressure. how did you do it?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Just crack the lines.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

Marines:
Not a lot at all. Maybe a cup or two.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
TKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Todd
TKGN1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandercole View Post
how much gas comes?
Yep, crack the lines open, let it drain (might put a drain pan under it, makes a little mess). Let it drain for a while or you arms will get soaked with fuel trying to get the fittings off.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
only a small amount of gas will run out when replacing the filter. the biggest pain in the ass part of it is sliding the ling clamp holder deal outta the way so you can move the lines. overall.....15 minute job.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #11

ok all finished. it took me forever to get the line bolts seated right. it kept leaking when I turned the truck on. its all fine now though. thnaks guys
Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandercole View Post
awsome. Question for you then. I cant figure out how to relieve the fuel pressure. how did you do it?
Remove the fuel filter cap...this will relieve any pressure built up in the tank...disconnect the fuel pump harness connector or circuit opening relay...whichever is easier...start the engine and wait for the engine to stall...then turn the ignition key to off...the fuel system is now depressurized...
Old 04-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
NewEnglander
krlang is on a distinguished road

krlang's Tacoma Gallery
My 2.4 2wd FF was under the Intake manifold, it was a little tricky but not bad.

I bought an aftermarket one, not wanting to.

I went to the dealer to buy one, the parts guy asked why.
I told him I had a skip, he said OK, I asked for the shop discount, he told me I should get one from the local API, I was hesitant.

The dealer was $30 the API was $9, I should have gone with the dealer filter.

The Banjo fittings were perfect, the new filter came with 4 copper gaskets.
The Filter was held on in a bracket, the through bolt for the bracket broke while trying to remove the bolt. I drilled the nut out and installed a longer bolt to secure the filter again. The filter is positioned in the clamp type bracket with ribs that are stamped into the filter housing. The aftermarket filters ribs were not as robust as the original, thus, the filter rotated while tightening the fittings after reinstallation.

All said and done, my skip is gone, but I worry if the filter I installed is as crappy on the inside as the way its made on the outside.

Good Luck.