Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

best brake pad rotor combo

Old 04-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
4421.frank is on a distinguished road
4421.frank's Tacoma Gallery
best brake pad rotor combo

Experiencing some front end vibrations when braking. It's about time to change out the pads, but should change out the rotors as well, as they have been turned a couple times already.

What's a good combo for the 1 st gen tacomas?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I love the PowerSlot slotted rotors and Hawk LTS pads! It helped alot in my stopping ability bc of my 33's.
Not sure If the group buy on them is still going on though.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
I always go OEM for pads and rotors. If something is going to go wrong with my brakes i want it to be toyotas fault.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPain View Post
I always go OEM for pads and rotors. If something is going to go wrong with my brakes i want it to be toyotas fault.
Def OEM on rotors. I didn't for pads though because I bought an aftermarket loaded caliper and the pads haven't worn yet.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
hmmm, a couple of yeah's for OEM parts and one for the Powerslot slotted rotors and hawk pads.

well, what's up with the powerslots evertaco?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM's are good. But I needed something better bc of my larger tires. My pads and Rotors were suffering. So I would say If you dont have the need for upgraded Rotors, dont bother with it. The OEM Rotors and a good pad like the Hawks will do just fine, If not better then stock
Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i like my s/p slotted rotors and hawk lts pads way better than the stock setup i once had.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Boosted17 is just really niceBoosted17 is just really niceBoosted17 is just really niceBoosted17 is just really nice

Name: Cliff
Boosted17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i like my s/p slotted rotors and hawk lts pads way better than the stock setup i once had.

X2. This us what I am going to run once my oem's need to be replaced.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Whitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whitfield's Tacoma Gallery
For lifted weighted Tacomas I was reading about a Tundra Caliper & rotor swap.

Better breaking + uses OE Toyota parts.

Only requirement was 16" wheels and a slight modification to your oe banjo bolt.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=51597

Being that I'm stepping up to 35's and will tow my boat to and from the lake around town ~ The Tundra Caliper / rotor swap got my attention.

I'm in the middle of a frame swap & 6" lift + fixing PO's crash damage. So I'm at least 1 month + another $1k from driving mine.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
If OEM rotors stick to OEM pads, the rotors will thank you. If you wanna get replacement rotors then Brembo blanks are a great replacements and there is also PowerSlots.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
centric rotors and ebc yellow stuff pads. ....that's the best combo i've come up with.

the stock pads and rotors are complete crap.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
Ok - noobie question here so please dont flame - I am looking at rotors myself - when I am looking I am asked Engine size (I got that down - 3.4L V6 ) but I am being asked my Chassis ID (VZN 15 , VZN 17, VZN 19 ) how can I tell???
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyman81 View Post
Ok - noobie question here so please dont flame - I am looking at rotors myself - when I am looking I am asked Engine size (I got that down - 3.4L V6 ) but I am being asked my Chassis ID (VZN 15 , VZN 17, VZN 19 ) how can I tell???

what site are you trying to order from?

all you need to know is year modle, engine size and if it's a 4x4 or not.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
what site are you trying to order from?

all you need to know is year modle, engine size and if it's a 4x4 or not.
That's what I thought - but :::

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes-7....aspx?kc=FFPMM

Asks for a Chassis ID
Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors. They Stay cooler and help prevent rotor warpage. Combine those with a good pad like the Porterfields and you will have better stopping power as well.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomabrakes.htm
Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #17

i just checked it out. ...it says the part is guaranteed to fit no matter which chassis id i pick. ...so apparently it's a non issue.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #18
Ok , so it's been a while but just wanted to give some feed back.

I figured with the ending of one job it would give me some time in between that one and the next to do the brakes. But Nooo!! After getting laid off from power plant I was called out to another. Good for me and my wallet but, bad for the brakes. In the end I decided to drop the truck off at a shop where a friend worked. I ordered Hawk pads and was waivering on rotors but finally decided to go with OEM after some thought.

So i dropped it off after they recieved botht he pads and the rotors. They told me two hours tops to work it out. So I stopped by two hours before I had to leave for work in the late afternoon. I waited around, after an hour or so, the mechanic came in. H talked to the guy behind the counter and there was some talk, son after the guy behind the counter came up to me. He said the rotors dont fit. I told him that I did not order the rotors, only the pads, the rotors were ordered by the shop. There was some discussion and it was confirmed by the owner that this was the case. In the end they discovered someone ordered rotors for a 2002 TUNDRA!!! there was some apologies and promise to have the part up to their shop in an hour but that still left me very late to work. I told them there was no time to spare. So the owner of the shop very graciously gave me one his "loaner cars" and told me everything would be done by tomorrow and to just take the loaner and head to work. So I did. The next day I came into pick up the truck before work and *poof* I was presemtly surprised to find they only charged me for the parts( the rotors and the broken pin in the caliper).

Everything worked out well. The understanding of people making mistakes and accepting them came in handy, I was rewarded with generosity that was very unaccepted, but non the less grateful for.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors. They Stay cooler and help prevent rotor warpage. Combine those with a good pad like the Porterfields and you will have better stopping power as well.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomabrakes.htm
I've heard great things about these rotors and pads they sell.