1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine noise (knock or ping or ?)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rzaucha, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    rzaucha

rzaucha [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    If it ain't broken, I'll fix it.
    Rancho RS66901R9 upfront, Emu Leaf Pack in rear, 285/70/R17 BFG TKO 2's, Snugtop, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust System, Thule Rack, JL Audio Stealthbox, Focal Access 165A1 SG, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, JL Audio XD500/3
    82,000 miles on a 2001 4x4 V6

Just this weak there is a super annoying noise coming from the engine. It gets slower and faster with engine idle. Almost sounds as if a rocker arm was hitting the valve cover. Is this considered engine pinging or knocking? I don't know the lingo but I'd like to figure out the cost to have something like this repaired without going into my dealership for the $120 diagnosis fee. The engine light is not on. I'm no slouch in the garage. Is something like this easy to fix over the weekend? That is if I can even pinpoint the problem...

2. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Can you record the sound, and post it?

3. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    rzaucha

rzaucha [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    Rancho RS66901R9 upfront, Emu Leaf Pack in rear, 285/70/R17 BFG TKO 2's, Snugtop, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust System, Thule Rack, JL Audio Stealthbox, Focal Access 165A1 SG, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, JL Audio XD500/3
    The noise is only coming from the right side (driver side) of the engine. I'll try to post the noise in a minute...

4. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    rzaucha

rzaucha [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    Recorded with iPhone

Attached Files:

5. Apr 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
    A week ago, I purchased a 2010 TRD Sport PreRunner 4.0L V6, and it too has an engine knock. I noticed it right away during cold start. Sounds awful :(. Seems like potential for premature engine wear :mad:. If the internal parts of the engine are not being lubricated on cold start, even for just a few seconds, then damage is being done to the engine. I don't think this particular knock/clatter is the cold air intake. Does anybody else have some technical knowledge on this problem? :notsure:

6. Apr 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Whoely shit! That doesnt sound too good. Could be a worn out cam lobe, valve shim, etc. Your gonna have to pull the head, and check the condition of the cams, and valves.

7. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
    OUCH!!! That hurts, Chris :eek:

8. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    I'm new here and don't want to step on any toes, but cam rocker noise doesn't sound like that on an over head cam engine. A bad cam should also show up on the check engine in a few codes and generally is a rare occurance on overhead cam engines with no lifter and lower valve spring pressures.

That is a knock and It sounds more bottom end (Crank / rod) then top end just by the tone.

Start with the simple stuff (Acessories / Crank pulley / ect).

You might could make a simple test by removing your serpentine belt and starting the truck. Do not run for more then 1-2 min from a cold start as the water pump will not be turning. If the knock goes away then it is a belt driven accessory

I forgot 3.4L water pump is driven off of the timing belt.

With the belt back on you can narrow down further the location of your sound by using a piece of 3/8 hose as a stethascope. Cut a piece about 2' long and hold one end up to your ear and move the other end around to different locations on your engine. Using this you can better tell front / back / top / bottom.
    (careful not to get the hose caught in the rotating assembly)...

The benifit of a Toyota tech is that they have probally heard 20-30 of them before and may know where to find the common failure. Matter of fact if you could get a Toyota tech to listen to that clip he could probally narrow it dwon much further.

9. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:

Good news is a 10 should be under Warranty.

Newer Toyota's use a tinming chain and hydraulic tensioner using oil pressure. The tensioner can allow cam chain noise during start up until the tensioner makes adjustments. Most Mfg's give 10sec - 30sec as an acceptable time frame for the tensioner to allow rattle.

Toyota has been known to have issues with a few early modle tensioners. If the oil light ever comes on constant cut it off and get it towed.

If the noise does not go away then you should take it in for a check up. We had to do an engine on a 03 Camry last year due to tensioner failure.

10. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Good point. I thought he said the sound was comming from the top of the engine.

11. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
  12. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    rzaucha

rzaucha [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    Definitely coming from the top driver side, guessing under the valve cover...this is sounding pretty depressing.

13. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:

You are right ~He did say that.

Working with customers before they almost always say that because they listen from the top (under the hood).

14. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:

Remove the oil fill cap ~ is it louder? If so chances are that it is internal engine if not it is external (ballancer / accessory).

I've even heard flywheels make that noise.

Any other recent repair?

15. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    rzaucha

rzaucha [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    no recent repair. cap off didn't sound louder. my room mates brother knows a toyota tech and i've invited them over for dinner tonight. so hopefully i'll get to the bottom of this soon. thanks for any and all help.

16. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Cool, good luck....

~ be cautious with any diagnosis...

Look a second opinion from a live person no me or any internet guy.

Some techs are much better then others just like any other business.

Most often I find the independant shops are more willing to help (take a listen and give their openion for free) as they are more dependant on customer service then some dealers.

Most often you can find a shop that a neighbor / relative has a long time service relaitonship with. Tell them that so and so said I should come see you and get your opinion.

Walk if they want to get too technical and charge $$$. You are just looking for their opinion not bought and proven fact. Tell tehm that you have to save $$$ for repair and can't aford to spend on diagnosis right now.

The big advantage you have is the 3.4L engine generally out last the truck. The engines are much easier and cheaper then the frames.

www.car-parts.com

Damn I need spell check...

17. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:

Check this out.... 2000 3.4L Pre runner...

193 tooth timing belt installed on a 191 tooth assy... similar noise maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsv4L5oyPs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBV2bi6qj_4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juLhGLCes3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4eQ454w8Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4cU1jSZfQc&feature=related

Their are a few more off to the side too.

18. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Timing cover / tensioner / waterpump / belt noise would not be louder with the oil cap off.

Engine crank / rod / bottom end should be slightly louder.

Heck at 82K you are about due for a timing belt and water pump anyway ~ RIGHT????

19. Apr 18, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    Whitfield, thanks for the technical info/advice. I'll take it into Longo Toyota & have them check it out on my 1,000 mile complimentary checkup. At least I'll have a tiny bit of knowledge on the issue & appear to know what I'm talking about (I hope). Thanks to you, I have a better understanding of what's going on. I'm sure this info. will come in handy to many other TW members as well. Master Techs like you & others on this forum are an invaluable service to this site. :bowdown:

20. Jan 28, 2014 at 6:22 AM
    Tacomapratt

Tacomapratt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington W.V.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White DCLB 4.0 4x4
    Truck build sheet 3" lift system billistin shocks/struts Top plate spacers Rear add a leaf 1/4" top plate spacer for taco lean Spydertrax 1 1/4 wheel spacers Bushing replacement bearing in diff Body armor step bars Tinted windows Tail light covers 3rd brake light blacked out Brass knuckles shifter Tacoma devil horns emblem Diamond plate tool box Kobalt Pioneer avh 2600bt head unit Rockford Fosgate 500w amp Rockford Fosgate 10" subs P1 Rockford Fosgate 6x9 front doors Rockford Fosgate 6.5 rear doors Alpine tweets 3" front doors Box for 10" behind rear seats Ultra scan gauge system K&N air filter Wether tech floor matts front/rear Rain guards in-channel front/rear Back sliding glass rain guard Roof Rack system 40" Phillips led light bar on roof rack 30" led light bar in lower bumper 4" Cree led ditch light on hood 7" Cree led light bar placement? Led inter lights 17x9 Dick Cepek 2 wheels 285/70/17 Fiearce Altitude tires
    I have a 2013 DCLB with 11,500 miles and it is making the same noise as post on here, did you ever figure out what the noise was? dropped it off at shop this morning.

Products Discussed in

To Top